Menu

Question re F2 and editing a node

Bal Simon
2022-03-07
2022-03-12
  • Bal Simon

Bal Simon - 2022-03-07

Did something change with the latest version of FP? The F2 key used to open a node so I could edit it. The cursor was placed at the end. However, when I press F2 now, the entire text of the node is selected, meaning that I have to press an arrow key or the END key to avoid deleting the node's text.

Is this controlled by a setting that I may have inadvertently toggled?

~ Bal

• macmarrum

macmarrum - 2022-03-07

I use Home and End instead of F2. You might want give it a try

• Bal Simon

Bal Simon - 2022-03-07

Thanks - and yes - know about those. I use the Home key for longer nodes. But I got used to using F2. I'm wondering if the change was intentional, and if it was, can it be made optional?

• Bal Simon

Bal Simon - 2022-03-07

I also see that when I now double-click a node, FP selects all the text, same as what happens with pressing F2. This is truly inconvenient for me because it means I have to do an extra click to deselect the text. Over the course of time, working with hundreds of nodes, this becomes an annoying time sink.

• Rexel Bartolome

Rexel Bartolome - 2022-03-08

I'm not really sure but it's been that way ever since I remember it? But I think I've only used freeplane since 1.9+ so older versions may have behaved differently

• nnako

nnako - 2022-03-08

Hi,

for me <F2> still works as edit node command within the current FP version 1.9.12

Maybe, somehow your hotkey setting got lost. Please try to re-set it by...

• activating TOOLS / ASSIGN HOT KEY from the top menu
    • then choosing EDIT / NODE CORE / EDIT NODE CORE IN-LINE in top menu
    • then choosing <F2> within the hotkey dialog

and see, what other function got overridden, beforehand, if you like.

• Bal Simon

Bal Simon - 2022-03-09

Thanks nnako. F2 is set to Edit Node Core Inline.

I just downloaded Version 1.8.12 and installed it. F2 works the way I remembered it - just like pressing the END key.

But with the latest version, pressing F2 opens the node so that it can be edited, but it selects all the text instead of putting the cursor at the end (like using the END key).

This makes no sense to me. But if it's desired by the community, may it could be made optional? Of course, I can simply do the "old dog learning new tricks" and learn to edit nodes with the END key instead of F2.

In any event, it would be good to know if the change was intentional, and if so, what the rationale is. Because, like I said, it makes no sense to me.

~ Bal

• macmarrum

macmarrum - 2022-03-09

A good point, Bal.

AFAIK, there was no intention to change F2 behaviour. I must say I find it useful, i.e. to have the option to have the text selected on edit. This allows me to paste new content easily, replacing the old one. Though I admit that overcoming the habit of hitting F2and replacing it with either HOME or END has been difficult.

Anyway, I've noticed that F2 has this new behaviour only for the flat LaF themes. When I change the Look and Feel to any of the "old-style" themes, F2 works as before.

• Bal Simon

Bal Simon - 2022-03-09

That's interesting about the L&F themes. For a change like what we're discussing, I'd like there to be an additional menu choice that could be assigned a hotkey. Call it something like Edit Node with All Text Selected.

That would give both of us what we prefer. Win-win!

~ Bal

• nnako

nnako - 2022-03-09

Interesting indeed.

There could be one other point when trying to decide which user interface would be preferrable when choosing the behavior of "edit node core text". As we have seen, there are these options which would make sense:

• <F2> - usually (and still valid for the "old-style" themes) has the same effect as <END> but might be modified (and seems to have been modified for the L&F styles) to selecting the textual content of a node. ready to be overridden completely.
    • <END> - go into edit mode for the node's core text and move the cursor to the end of the text
    • <HOME> - go into edit mode for the node's core text and move the cursor to the start of the text
    • <any-regular-key> - selecting the textual content of a node and replacing in completely with the first character typed. which seems to be even one step further than the "new" <F2>. there is a setting to choose this behavior (and it is the default one).

In my opinion, for the feature "edit node core text" there shouldn't be a difference concerning the user interface, regardless of the current theme (old or new). I think, it might be best, if all the different behaviors were represented by just one key stroke. So, selecting the text when pressing <F2> might be a reasonable change. But, please, for all themes.

Last edit: nnako 2022-03-09
  • Dimitry Polivaev

I checked it. The bug was introduced by the new look and feels of the flat l&f family. I fixed it now. The fix should be available in the next preview (probably at the weekend).

If you select one of the old look and feels and restart you should get the old behavior even with the current stable version 1.9.13.

• Bal Simon

Bal Simon - 2022-03-11

Cool - thanks Dimitry.
      ~ Bal

• Dimitry Polivaev

Fixed in preview 1.9.14_01

• Bal Simon

Bal Simon - 2022-03-12

Thank you very much, indeed, Dimitry! Truly appreciated.

~ Bal