Menu

How to style tables in SimplyHTML

Jocke
2016-12-15
2016-12-18
  • Jocke

Jocke - 2016-12-15

Hi,
    I am a long-time user of Freeplane (a fantastic program). I am wondering if anyone can point me to a resource on what CSS properties are supported by simplyHTML, which is part of Freeplane. I add HTML tables to nodes every so often, and have found styling them to be something of a headache. It is easy enough to add colors and borders, but beyond that trying to style a table I basically add a CSS property and then check if that works or not. For example, it seems border-collapse is an attribute that is not supported.

So, I would very much appreciate a reference on just what CSS version (and perhaps subset thereof) is supported.

Thanks in advance!
    Jocke

• Luigi Kang

Luigi Kang - 2016-12-15

SimplyHTML has not declared up to which CSS version, in the program's documentation or its SourceForge page. So as you said, only by trial and error can we know which CSS property it supports.

Besides border-collapse, other table-related CSS that are not supported by simplyHTML are:
    hover
    nth-child
    width
    border-spacing
    empty-cells
    vertical-align

• Volker Börchers

It's a bit difficult: Swing/Freeplane understands HTLM 4, but the SimplyHTML Editor strips more or less all features that are not supported by HTML 3. So there are some formatting options that you can only set via scripts and that are erased once you open the node in the editor. We had a thread about that elsewhere.

• Felix Natter

Felix Natter - 2016-12-18

hi,

@Volker:
    I think Swing is already limited to HTML 3.2.

@Luigi:
    Many CSS properties that are not supported by SimplyHTML-CSS are suppored as
    HTML attributes, i.e. width is supported on table and td level. You read the
    HTML3.2 spec, or search the web for
    "tables html 3.2".

Cheers and Best Regards,
    Felix