Menu

File Dialog veeeery slow

Joo_Janta
2020-02-11
2021-02-08
  • Joo_Janta

Joo_Janta - 2020-02-11

Hi,
    I installed Freeplane on Win10 today, started it, wanted to open a .mm file, clicked "Open File..." and ... thought my system crashed. But it took only 10 or 20 seconds until the file dialog appeared. Then I double clicked a folder and ... again 10 or 20 seconds.
    Any ideas?

• Alexandre

Alexandre - 2020-02-12

Hi Joo,
      I saw this before, but I don't use the dialog of often as the maps I use are always opened or I open them using windows explorer for example or links in a "Maps" map. You could create such a "Maps" map by drag-n-dropping maps from Windows Explorer to it.
      Alexandre

• vacuum-tube

vacuum-tube - 2020-05-29

Hi ! I too have been experiencing very flow save/folder navigation behaviour for several versions, and this is becoming quite a challenge. "Save map as" has become unusable with a minute or more of screen-freeze after every click. Would really like to find a solution to this since we have maps in many locations and navigating to them (or saving to different locations) is a must. Advice ?

• Alexandre

Alexandre - 2020-05-29

Just do a map that links to other maps and open your maps from it.

Le ven. 29 mai 2020 à 14:58, vacuum-tube vacuum-tube@users.sourceforge.net
      a écrit :

Hi ! I too have been experiencing very flow save/folder navigation
      behaviour for several versions, and this is becoming quite a challenge.
      "Save map as" has become unusable with a minute or more of screen-freeze
      after every click. Would really like to find a solution to this since we
      have maps in many locations and navigating to them (or saving to different
      locations) is a must. Advice ?

File Dialog veeeery slow
      https://sourceforge.net/p/freeplane/discussion/758437/thread/bd700a2216/?limit=25#a0b1

Sent from sourceforge.net because you indicated interest in
      https://sourceforge.net/p/freeplane/discussion/758437/

To unsubscribe from further messages, please visit
      https://sourceforge.net/auth/subscriptions/

• Joo_Janta

Joo_Janta - 2020-05-29

Just do a map that links to other maps and open your maps from it.

This sounds like a weird workaround. What keeps you from fixing the bug?

I can only speak for myself, but I won't even start using Freeplane if the first thing I experience is a frozen file dialog. This is simply inacceptable. UX is important (and it is the only reason why I would change from FreeMind). If you want to keep people from using your app, give them an experience like this. I'll stay with FreeMind in the meanwhile. It might be limited but at least it works.

• Dimitry Polivaev

Hello @Joo_Janta, could you please

• submit a bug report to https://sourceforge.net/p/freeplane/bugs/ ,
    • write there which Java version is displayed in Freeplane about box ,
    • write which FreeMind distribution and version you use and which Java version it runs.

I think that the problem is related to Java rather them specific to Freeplane.
    File dialogs are standard Java components and there should not be any difference between Freeplane and FreeMind in this relation.

Regards,
    Dimitry

• Dimitry Polivaev

I checked it and I can not see any problems on my computer (Windows 10, Java 8u251)
    Please check if you have any disconnected network drives or invalid links,
    I do not have any other ideas.

• Joo_Janta

Joo_Janta - 2020-05-31

I have a Linux PC with a Samba share in my home network. Indeed, the problem vanishes if I have the Linux PC running, although I do not use the share by using a drive character.

Anyway, the problem does not occur in FreeMind. And it does not occur in any other application I use.

• user0123

user0123 - 2020-06-01

I too do experience this annoying delay when using file dialogues. It's the nearly the same issue whether it's for open, create new from template and whathaveyou.

Main thing though, it differs between Windows and in my case Ubuntu.
    Version 1.8.5 on
    Ubuntu 20.04
    -OpenJDK 13.0
    --Time to usable on screen
    ---"Instantaneous". No percieavable delay
    Windows 10 Enterprise - 1709
    -Oracle JDK 13.01 and 14.01
    --Time to usable on screen
    ---Open saved map
    ----Appr. 16 seconds
    ---New map from template
    ----Appr. 22 seconds

Whether my findings are significant or not, we'll probably see.
    A 16 second delay waiting to be able to open a saved file is not exactly userfriendly.
    However in my case there's a night and day difference between Ubuntu(linux) and Windows.
    So there you have it slow on Windows and fast on Ubuntu.

@Devs. Anything that can be done profiling wise as a normal user? Command line args and/or logging?

Hope this helps.

Last edit: user0123 2020-06-01
  • vacuum-tube

vacuum-tube - 2020-06-01

Hi, adding to the above based on my own experience with Freeplane 1.8.5:

First, I'm running Win 10 Enterprise version 1909 in an office environment (ZScaler VPN, OneDrive Sync for my desktop, My Documents etc, several network locations). Java is version 8 update 251 (build 1.8.0_251-b08). I experience a lag when launching Freeplane where nothing appears to happen (after clicking the icon) for about 60 seconds. Then the app opens. Clicking on 'open saved map' icon has about the same delay before a window pops up. From there, navigating to any file menu selection (desktop icon on the left, folder selection from the pulldown etc) behaves similarly. So, verrrry sloooow.

Second, my personal Windows 10 PC running Win 10 Home version 1909, same Java & Freeplane versions. VPN is NordVPN (latest version). No OneDrive syncing, several mapped drives for NAS on my home network. Launching Freeplane does have a delay, but much shorter (about 10s for logo to come up, another 15 before I'm on a canvas). 'Open saved map' is instantaneous as is selecting any of the options - no notceable delay here).

Third, running Freemind 1.0.1 on my Win 10 Enterprise rig is similar to running Freeplane, except that launch is immediate (no real delay before getting to the canvas), and clicking on 'open ...' does have some delay but is much shorter (10s-15s).

Hope this info proves useful.

Thanks !

• Dimitry Polivaev

@vacuum-tube @alexandreviau77 @user0123 @joojanta
    Please try to set "Metal" look and feel in Tool->preferences->appearance->Look and Feel, restart Freeplane and report if it has any influence on file dialogs and on freeplane startup time.

Backgrond info: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/49792375/jfilechooser-is-very-slow-when-using-windows-look-and-feel

• user0123

user0123 - 2020-06-02

Switching to "Metal" cut times by appr. 4-5 seconds nothing more. An improvement, yes but the delay is still really annoying.
      I timed starting Freeplane today. It took a total of 55 seconds to be fully visible on screen.
      Splash screen goes visible after appr. 20 seconds.

One other thing I tested was to run "ProcessTamer" . That cut down startup time by a very noticable appr. 25 seconds or so. Processtamer is used to force low priority for cpu-hungry tasks like antivirus software and whathaveyou.

This might perhaps indicate that other processes are interferring with the startup of Freeplane. Having ProcessTamer running also shaves off another 4-5 seconds of the "Dialogue delays".

Hope this might be of some use.

Last edit: user0123 2020-06-02
      • user0123

user0123 - 2020-06-02

Tested on a different (my own) computer with Win 10 Pro, Version 1909, Open JDK 14.01.
        Approximate times below.
        --Time to splash screen 3 seconds
        --Time to on screen 10 seconds

File dialogue
        -- Open Saved Map
        --- 3 seconds
        --Create new from template
        --- 3 seconds

I can't help to notice that both @vaccum-tube and I reported problems on Enterprise versions of Windows 10. Enterprise also often come with overhead in the shape of AV-software, intrusion/threat detection and such niceties. In my case it might be throttling of such software that provided some of the relief that I reported above.

Hope this helps.

Last edit: user0123 2020-06-03
  • Dimitry Polivaev

Please check how it works in preview 1.8.6_01
    I tried to reduce both Freeplane startup time and File Dialog startup time.
    Please use windows look and feel for your test
    I do not know if the changes solve the problem because I do not have your configuration
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/freeplane/files/freeplane%20preview/

• vacuum-tube

vacuum-tube - 2020-06-07

Hi Dimitry,
      I downloaded the .6 version onto my Windows Enterprise machine (HP Zbook 15 G5), made sure look-and-feel was Windows. Start-up time is definitely faster, about 5s for the logo to come up and about 15s before I'm on a canvas and can do stuff - this is really good. However, the 'open saved map' took 3m46s from icon click to the menu that allows me to navigate to a file location. And then over 2m once I selected something from the pulldown for it go there. So, this translates into over 5 min to get to a file. Still something not working properly.

As an additional tidbit, I installed the same version on a VM in Azure Cloud running Windoes Server 2016 Datacenter OS, and performance was radically better: a couple of seconds for logo to come up, a few more seconds for a blank canvas to open up, a few seconds more to run through the same 'open saved map cycle. What this confirms IMO is that there is something particular about Windows Enterprise that causes problems. Windows Home & Server have no obvious issues.

Thanks for your attention to this - it's much appreciated. If only we could crack the nut on Windows Enterprise ...

• Dimitry Polivaev

Can you please check how long 'open saved map' takes on Windows Enterprise if you use Metal look and feel?

• vacuum-tube

vacuum-tube - 2020-06-07

Hi !

Switched to metal.

Start-up to logo: 3s
          Logo to working canvas: + 5s
          Total cycle: 8s - Great !

'open saved map' icon click to menu: 2m44s
          selection in menu pulldown (say, 'desktop') to selection showing in list of files: + 1m48s
          selection of mm at that location to mm open on canvas & ready for editing: + 18s
          Total cycle: 4m51s - no so great.

Also forgot to mention in my prior note: Hitting 'save' in the preferences menu causes the program to hang and I have to revert to the task manager to kill it. However, hitting 'ok' on the preferences menu works as expected.

• Dimitry Polivaev

Then I do not have a clue.

• user0123

user0123 - 2020-06-08

I have tested with the new 1.8.6_01 and the results are as follows.

• Win 10 Pro, Version 1909, Open JDK 14.01. HexaCore,32 GB Ram
      • Time to:
        • Splash ~3 seconds
        • Visible ~5 seconds
        • Done/Usable ~7 s
        • Dialogues ~3 seconds each
    • Win 10 Ent. Version 1709, Open JDK 14.01 Quad Core, 20 GB Ram
      • Time to:
        • Splash ~3 seconds
        • Visible ~17 seconds
        • Done/usable ~23 seconds
        • Open saved ~13 seconds
        • New fr. templ: ~17 seconds

The Win 10 Ent. now has a usable Freeplane available in appr. 32 seconds less than with the previous version. So it has gone from, has it crashed ?, to this is really slow.

Dialogues are about 5 seconds faster on average, which is better but not quite good enough.

L&F: I have tried "Default", "Windows", "Metal".
    On the first somewhat more powerful one there's no noticable difference.
    There are minute improvement on the latter machine with the "Metal L & F".
    And those improvements are strangely, related only to the dialogues.

The wait has been -on the machine with Win 10 Ent. -reduced by noticable number of seconds in my case when using the file dialogues. Noticable but still a bit slow.

Interesting is that on Ubuntu everything's almost instantaneous.
    Win Pro, slower but, well, definately usable.
    Win Ent, slower by factor of 2+ with the notable exception of the splash screen wich appears after appr. the same time both on Pro and Ent.

Conclusion:
    There seems to be something fishy going on that is related to the Enterprise version of Windows. Or the additional goodies that come with a corporate environment?

Hope this helps.

Last edit: user0123 2020-06-08
    • Alexandre

Alexandre - 2020-06-08

Just to mention that one time I had a lot of slowness with my windows 10
      pro, this was like 1 or 2 days after the windows update. Everything was
      slowed down and it became better by itself later.
      During these days of slowness I ran windows in safe mode with network. So
      everything was very fast there, I would suggest you try freeplane in safe
      mode with network and see if it is fast there, if yes then there is a
      windows service or process that is slowing freeplane down.

Le lun. 8 juin 2020 à 13:03, user0123 user0123@users.sourceforge.net a
      écrit :

I have tested with the new 1.8.6_01 and the results are as follows.

• Win 10 Pro, Version 1909, Open JDK 14.01. HexaCore,32 GB Ram
        • Time to:
          • Splash ~3 seconds
          • Visible ~5 seconds
          • Done/Usable ~7 s
          • Dialogues ~3 seconds each
        • Win 10 Ent. Version 1709, Open JDK 14.01 Quad Core, 20 GB Ram
        • Time to:
          • Splash ~3 seconds
          • Visible ~17 seconds
          • Done/usable ~23 seconds
          • Open saved ~13 seconds
          • New fr. templ: ~17 seconds

The Win 10 Ent. now has a usable Freeplane available in appr. 32 seconds
      less than with the previous version. So it has gone from, has it crashed ?,
      to this is really slow.

Dialogues are about 5 seconds faster on average, which better but quite
      good enough.

L&F: I have tried "Default", "Windows", "Metal".
      On the first somewhat more powerful one there's no noticable difference.
      There are minute improvement on the latter machine with the "Metal L & F".
      And those improvements are strangely, related only to the dialogues.

The wait has been -on the machine with Win 10 Ent. -reduced by noticable
      number of seconds in my case when using the file dialogues. Noticable but
      still a bit slow.

Interesting is that on Ubuntu everything's almost instantaneous.
      Win Pro, slower but, well, definately usable.
      Win Ent, slower by factor of 2+ with the notable exception of the splash
      screen wich appears after appr. the same time both on Pro and Ent.

Conclusion:
      There seems to be something fishy going on that is related to the
      Enterprise version of Windows. Or the additional goodies that come with a
      corporate environment?

Hope this helps.

File Dialog veeeery slow
      https://sourceforge.net/p/freeplane/discussion/758437/thread/bd700a2216/?limit=25#f770

Sent from sourceforge.net because you indicated interest in
      https://sourceforge.net/p/freeplane/discussion/758437/

To unsubscribe from further messages, please visit
      https://sourceforge.net/auth/subscriptions/

• Shane Rosenberg

Shane Rosenberg - 2021-02-08

G'Day All,

I had this issue over the last week and a half, after starting a new role where I take my own laptop to work, and have access to network drives.

Since configuring the network drive shortcuts, file dialog became incredibly slow.

Tonight I realised those (unreachable from home) drives may be the issue. I deleted the shortcuts and the file dialog now comes up very quickly as expected.

Hope this helps.

-Shane.

• user0123

user0123 - 2021-02-08

I tested this working from home using my work laptop.

Home network only: Dialogues are usable inside of 3 seconds.
      Corporate network via VPN: The unbearably slow 18 to 22 seconds.

Here in [bugs:#2789] in this post i documented something interesting. Using the CDE/Motif L&F is way faster than any other:

"CDE/Motif is/was:
      For New from templ. 19 times faster than the slowest one (Darcula)
      For Save As also 19 times faster than the slowest one (Windows)"

@Shane Rosenberg: If you have the time to spare? Could you perhaps try and see if you can reproduce my results?

Things is, why is L & F response time dependant upon the amount of available network resources? It is, to quote the great, even if fictional Wizzini: "Inconceivable".
      What in CDE/ Motif is absent but present in the others?

Related

Old Bug Tickets replaced by GitHub Issues: #2789