Menu

Cloze deletion

2019-02-01
2019-02-03
  • Valentin Rublack

Hi guys,

I'm using FreePlane for university and I think it's really good but I'm wondering if it's possible to have something like cloze deletion like in Anki.
    So basically you'd be able to specify a part of the note that is hidden, like a part that you have to recall, and if you click somewhere it gets revealed (e.g. "Water consists of X and X" -> "Water consists of Hydrogen and Oxygen.").
    So is there some existing way of doing this? If not, is there maybe a different way of training your ability to recall rather than just recognize? If not, I might look into writing a plugin for that purpose.

Thanks!

• Dimitry Polivaev

You could select the parts of the note to be hidden and assign them the background color. Then they would only be visible when you select them or the whole text in the note. However more Freeplane way to do it would be to have the answer written as a child node, then you could just fold / unfold parent node to hide / see it.

• Valentin Rublack

The color trick is a really good idea! Doesn't work for Latex content though as I see no way of controlling the text color. I guess I could also have the answer as a collapsed child or as the node details but for multiple blanks in a node this would be a bit messy, like [(1) was born in (2)] -> [(1) Jack Bauer], [(2) 1965]. Or the child node just has the whole text again without the blanks.

• Felix Natter

Felix Natter - 2019-02-02

hi Valentin,

you can use \textcolor{white}{...} in LaTeX.

Cheers and Best Regards,
      Felix

• Miguel Boyer

Miguel Boyer - 2019-02-02

Hy, Valentin.

Before Dimitry answered I thought about the same solution. Furthermore:
      It would make sense to put all your answers and only the answers as
      "leaves". Pre-leaves would be the questions. And the branches, in a
      different format, would be the classfication of subjects.
      With that setting, you just have to go to the root, unfold everything, then
      press Alt-PagUp, and that folds just the leaves.
      Then you can study exploring the tree, and when you have a doubt about the
      answer, you just press the space bar to unhide the answer, and to hide it
      again.
      Sincerily? From a navigation stand point it is much better than the other
      solution. You skip making a plug in. You make the topology of your map more
      consistent and more meaningfull.
      More about the formatting: I would use one format for the classification of
      subjects through branches, another for the questions and another for the
      answers.
      Have fun. I think that a clever use of what is already there, the tree
      structure, deals with many of the problems most people seem to have at the
      beggining with Freeplane.
      I mean, the tree structure is difficult to asimilate in all its power.

• Valentin Rublack

Thanks a lot guys! I now defined this Latex macro for myself thanks to Dimitry and Felix:

\newcommand{\c}[1]{\underline{\textcolor{white}{\text{#1}}}\ }

So I can define a cloze like Water is made up of \c{Hydrogen} and \c{Oxygen}.. To be able to see the white font more easily when the node is selected, I changed the selection color to a slightly darker one.
    Unselected
    Selected

@Miguel Thanks for the explanation. I might do it that way for some nodes but the use case is a little different from the cloze concept I guess. With child leaves, you can have one answer or multiple if they're unordered, for example: [Components of Water] -> [Hydrogen], [Oxygen]. If you want to test for multiple pieces of information that are ordered it doesn't work quite as well I'd say, like with [(1) was born in (2)] -> [(1) Jack Bauer], [(2) 1965] since you'd have to manually number the children for the clozes.

Edit: added \text because whitespace get removed somehow otherwise

Last edit: Valentin Rublack 2019-02-03
    • Miguel Boyer

Miguel Boyer - 2019-02-03

Valentin:
      I see. Thanks for telling.