Menu

Sysinternal's Process Monitor shows an interesting pattern of fileaccess by java/freeplane

user0123
2021-01-11
2022-09-29
  • user0123

user0123 - 2021-01-11

I and at least one other user have suffered from really slow "Save as", "New map from template", etc.
    Trying a bit of google-fu I found one guy at Stack-exchange having experienced something similar. In his case it turned out to be an icon that had to be removed...or something along those lines.

Anyway, he had used Sysinternal's Process Monitor to find the culprit. So I decided to do the same.

Just in case, I might have misunderstood something, perhaps even a lot but here goes...

"Save as" seems to test every single file, I know I am exaggerating a bit, but ...there are a lot of CreateFile and CloseFile, QueryDirectory etc. And I do mean a lot. I can see access attempts in directories totally unrelated to what and where I am doing things. Java and freeplane seem to be all over the place. I may go out on a limb here but this all over the place behaviour seems a bit odd to say the least.

No wonder it takes around twenty seconds to put up the dialogue if you have to try every fine single file within reach every time.

The java process can be seen traversing "Program Files", My OneDrive, C:\Window\Installer...if you can think of it, it has been there or so it seems.

I do not know if I have found the cause of the annoyingly slow dialogues but what I have seen still makes me wonder, why? This behaviour all over the place can not be reasonable, can it?

EDIT: Trying save as generates appr. 8000 events in Process Monitor. Enumeration stops when the dialogue appears and is populated for the first time. JRE 15.01.

Last edit: user0123 2021-01-11
  • Dimitry Polivaev

Could you please check different look and feels and report if there is a difference?

• user0123

user0123 - 2021-01-12

Hi,
      I have done some additional testing with Sysinternals ProcessMonitor keeping an eye on jawaw.exe "events" and activities.

Changing the look and feel to Metal lowers the number of events by appr. 500 or so from appr 8000.
      What does make a significant difference is running the computer disconnected from the corporate network. Working from home as many of us are connected to just the home network turns out to be acceptably fast! "Save as", "New map from template" are usable inside of three seconds. Connecting via vpn to the corporate network increases the load times sixfold or more to appr. 18 - 20 seconds. The load times are the same connected directly on site at work.

Processmonitor indicate appr. the same number of events either way. I figure that the corporate network contains lots of resources that I have no access to and that perhaps takes an extra bit of time to process. But the main thing is though, why on earth does all this file access and probing take place in the first place? It seems totally pointless?
      The javaw process accesses (Create File) C:\Windows\Installer, C:\Program Files\internet explorer and other completely unrelated items...

Just for the fun, I started a Virtualbox session with Ubuntu 20.10 and ran Freeplane.

Work computer:
      Home network: appr. 3 secs
      VPN/Corporate: appr. 20 secs

Virtualbox: Ubuntu 20.04 running om the above. Std JRE
      Home network: appr. 3 secs
      VPN/Corporate: appr. 5-7 secs

So there seems to be a difference between running on Windows 10 and virtualised Ubuntu even if on the same hardware and the same network. I do wonder why.

Last edit: user0123 2021-01-12
  • Olivier Croquette

Hi, I have the same issue with FreeMind. When connected to a VPN, the file dialog takes ages to show up. Using the latest Java 8 version (Corretto) does not help. Since FreeMind and FreePlane share the same technology, it is probably the same root cause.

• Edo Frohlich

Edo Frohlich - 2022-09-29

We've moved from SourceForge to GitHub.
      Please post your question/comment in https://github.com/freeplane/freeplane/discussions

• Dimitry Polivaev

Disable Preferences…->Appearance->Look and feel->File chooser shows special folders