Menu

osx file selector box

2021-04-26
2021-05-03
  • Vincent Pernoia

Vincent Pernoia - 2021-04-26

I am testing FreePlane on osx (Mojave), and I am a little surprised that upon "open" or "save" that archaic, not very user friendly file selector box (see attachment) comes up. Is there a way to make FP use the standard osx file selector box ?
    Thanks !!

• Dimitry Polivaev

I don't code it myself and need libraries for that.
      Try Look and Feel VAqua available in preview 1.9.0_20 for MacOS Intel Architecture. It is not perfect either but you might like it.

• Vincent Pernoia

Vincent Pernoia - 2021-04-26

@ Dimitry, this surprises me. When I use Freemind (instead of FP), the standard osx file sel box comes up. Doesn't this show that it simply requires a proper call to a system function rather than additional libraries etc. ?
    Best

• Dimitry Polivaev

Could you upload your Freemind screen shot and auto.properties for both Freemind and Freeplane?

• Vincent Pernoia

Vincent Pernoia - 2021-04-27

Sure ! BTW, I noticed that under osx a user.properties doesn't seem to be used / existing. Is that correct ?

• Dimitry Polivaev

Thanks. Yes, Freeplane generally does not use user.properties

• Vincent Pernoia

Vincent Pernoia - 2021-04-30

Hello Dimitry, I know time and effort are always limited resources. Hope you don't mind if I ask, did a look at my uploaded files provided any insight why Freemind can call up a Mac file selector box, and Freeplane cannot ? Best

• Dimitry Polivaev

Freeplane is my spare time project, so I mostly have time for it only at the weekends.
      I looked at the differences between Freemind and Freeplane.
      Freemind uses another implementation of file dialog which is closer to the native dialog on MacOS. Unfortunately it is not a good choice for Freeplane because Freeplane makes use of Previews and Choosable Filters which are not available on the dialog used by Freemind. In the latest Freeplane version you can select look and feel VAqua which comes very close to native components. Unfortunately it is not supported for m1 architecture and its color selection dialogs do not look good in the dark mode. But at least you have a choice.

• Vincent Pernoia

Vincent Pernoia - 2021-05-03

I realized that this is a spare time project. So, thanks even more !

I am surprised that Freemind has it's "own" implementation. It looks sooo much much the standard file sel. box - it's hard to believe it's third party implemented. Anyway, could you please point me to those few lines in the Freemind auto.properties file where this is called up ?
    Best