Menu

Is 1.5.9 stable enough to replace 1.3.x completely?

2016-06-12
2016-06-18
  • Robertonisola

Robertonisola - 2016-06-12

Hi guys,

I am using 1.3.15, and it's stable. But I really love the clone feature of 1.5.9. I want to switch to 1.5.9 but I wonder if this version is stable enough for daily usage?

Another question is, after I open a map with 1.5.9, I cannot open it again with 1.3.15. What can I do so that 1.3.15 can open 1.5.9 files? Is there something like a "save-as-old-version-format" feature in 1.5.9 so that the map can be opened again with 1.3.15? (I asked this question just in case something goes wrong with 1.5.9 and I have to switch back to 1.3.15).

Thank you very much.

• nnako

nnako - 2016-06-12

Hi Rob,
    hi all,

a couple of months ago, I posted a similar question about backwards compatibility. After some fiddling around, I found a way to "fix" the map of v1.5.x so that it could be opened in v1.3.15 again. Please look at the link above. But be careful as I haven't checked any parasitic effects.

I still strongly recommend to provide the maps in such a way that older versions can open them (even though some features might not be usable). In my current operation environment, I am responsible for introducing the usage of mindmaps and link them up with other information sources. Unfortunately, I have no influence on the program version my colleagues use. Working on version controlled mindmaps with more than one person would currently be complicated, as recommendataions like "don't use this or that feature" would not be sufficient anymore.

How difficult would it be to provide the format of v1.5.x maps in such a way that older versions can at least open them? Or is it really not possible to technically solve this problem? What about this requirement regarding future versions? Could a feature for "backwards neutrality" be implemented to be safe for future format changes?

An export filter might do the job right now, but providing this "out of the box" looks more convenient. ;-)

• Dimitry Polivaev

Hi,

I think that 1.5.9 is stable enough for daily use. It has not been released yet because of our current release policy which is not a stability issue. And your message lets me think about changing this policy, I shall discuss it in a separate thread.

Independently from its status if you start using new version there are no good way to open your new maps in old freeplane versions. Implementing export back to old versions is basically possible to some extent but it was never done and it is not on the road map. If someone wants to implement it I can help with some insides but I am not going to spend my own time here. Im my eyes it is not worth doing because new versions are the better ones and the supported ones and they are all free.

Regards,
    Dimitry

• Miguel Boyer

Miguel Boyer - 2016-06-12

Robertonisola, don't worry. My advice is to just go ahead with the upgrade.

Modestly, I agree with Dimitri. 1.5.9 feels totally stable. I use it at my
      office. No problems.

If it had been another version it would possibly make sense to wait until
      official release. But 1.5 really has new features that you should not miss.
      Particularly for a fear of stability that is largely unwarranted.

Nonetheless, to export the basics safely backwards, in case you ever need
      it, I have something of a proposal...

Activate legal numbering for all nodes. Export to a text file, wordprocesor
      or plain text. Then, in the older version of Freeplane, just paste that
      text, and run a script to rebuild the tree out of the legal numbering.

I don't know whether any body else has written such a script too, but I
      have. Several years ago.
      I can share if needed.

With this method you would loose icons, attributes, notes, and possibly
      some formating. But if you only use normal text in the chore node, then it
      could be enough for you as a safe guard. (Mainly because you will never
      need it, given the fact 1.5.9 IS actually stable.)

• Felix Natter

Felix Natter - 2016-06-18

hello Miguel,

we have a working Freeplane 1.1.x Export:
        File->Export map...->Freeplane 1.1 (.mm)
        Freeplane 1.3.x and even freemind can open files from this exporter.

Cheers and Best Regards,
        Felix

• Miguel Boyer

Miguel Boyer - 2016-06-18

Cool!

• Robertonisola

Robertonisola - 2016-06-12

Hi guys, thank you for your helpful answers.

With the above comments from Dimitry and Miguel, I will switch to 1.5.9 from now on.

From my point of vew, if the new versions are stable, then there is no need to implement the backward compatibility feature, because the new versions are often supersets of the old ones. (Of course other people might still have there own reasons as to why they want this feature).

Thank you again for this beautiful application :)

Best regards,

Roberto.

• Felix Natter

Felix Natter - 2016-06-18

hello Robert/Nnako/Miguel/Dimitry,

I would like to tackle the "export to 1.3.x" issue in my vacation (27th of June to 1st of July).
    I tried with XSLT, but I don't think it's the right tool.
    @Dimitry: Can you give me some ideas of where to do it in Java?

Please don't wait for me with the release.

Cheers and Best Regards,
    Felix

• Dimitry Polivaev

Felix, let us discuss it by phone when you have time.

Regards, Dimitry