Menu

Cloning in different maps

Wiyouk
2019-06-06
2020-07-05
  • Wiyouk

Wiyouk - 2019-06-06

Hello,

I have a map where I manage projects and another map which is my dotolist ans where I update the state of the task (What I have done, still to be done ...)
    I would like to have access in the project map, to the update of the tasks.

I was thinking of cloning the task from the map project into the map Todo but I don't think we can clone into another map.

Can anyone explain how to clone a node into another map or maybe propose an alternative solution ?

Thanks a lot.

• Robertonisola

Robertonisola - 2019-06-07

The best solution I'm aware of is to create a link from a node in map A (suppose this is the target node) to a node in map B (suppose this is the reference node).

To do this:
    in map A: select the target node, right click it and choose 'copy node URI'
    in map B: select the ref node, press Ctrl + k, a small window will open, and you paste the URI into it.

• Wiyouk

Wiyouk - 2019-08-07

Thanks for your answer. But I did it for a long time but it's not very convinient.
    I would rather have a real cloning function.
    Because I want to desplay the node in both maps and not just be abble to go to the other map to see the node.
    I guess it's not possible yet. Anyone want to developp it ? ;-)

• Bal Simon

Bal Simon - 2019-08-07

+1 on this idea

• Miguel Boyer

Miguel Boyer - 2019-08-08

Isn't that complex? Would have to open the other map whenever the node
      changes.
      Or maybe open the other map every time you open the first one to check
      whether both are synchronized.
      Looks bulky. But devs may know much better ways. Who knows.

• Bal Simon

Bal Simon - 2019-08-08

Basically, I think what is being asked for is something called "transclusion," an idea from the earliest days of hypertext that, for some reason, never found its way into any information management products. The closest I've seen is with various javascripts and other forms of embedding text from one document into another. ButI am not aware of any mindmapping software that has transclusion capablities.

As to whether it's bulky or smooth - I think that's a matter of implementation rather than a fault with the idea itself.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transclusion

~ Bal

• Miguel Boyer

Miguel Boyer - 2019-08-08

Right. But going to Mars is bulky because any conceivable implementation is
          bulky.

Admitedly, I have no idea whatsoever whether the hyper-clones can be
          implemented easily.

• abc163

abc163 - 2019-08-08

In formula, using " c.load('another map's path').map.node('ID_xxxxxxxxx').to.text " can sync text content from another map's node. It does not sync images, hyperlinks, attributes and other contents, so it is not cloning.

• Wiyouk

Wiyouk - 2020-03-23

In fact I'm managing my projects in one map where is all my information and during meating, I define tasks to do.
    In another maps, I manage my todo list when ....
    So I copy the tasks from the firts map to the to do map and put links to be abble to go from one to the other.
    But when I update the task in my to do map, I would like it to update also in the first. As a clone node
    Usually both maps are opened on my computer.

I guess I'm not the only one interested in this.

• Dimitry Polivaev

Clones are possible in only one map by design, I do not see any way to change it.
      Could you try to merge all relevant maps in one and use filters to reduce the amount of visible information? In the latest preview 1.8.1_06 filters can be defined per view so that you can open the same map with different filters.

• Wiyouk

Wiyouk - 2020-03-24

Thanks, I believe it's a viable option even if I don't understand why it would be complex to developpe cloning between different maps
        -------- Message d'origine --------De : Dimitry Polivaev dpolivaev@users.sourceforge.net Date : 23/03/2020 10:41 (GMT+01:00) À : "[freeplane:discussion]" 758437@discussion.freeplane.p.re.sourceforge.net Objet : [freeplane:discussion] Re: Cloning in different maps Clones are possible in only one map by design, I do not see any way to change it.Could you try to merge all relevant maps in one and use filters to reduce the amount of visible information? In the latest preview 1.8.1_06 filters can be defined per view so that you can open the same map with different filters.---Cloning in different maps---Sent from sourceforge.net because you indicated interest in https://sourceforge.net/p/freeplane/discussion/758437/To unsubscribe from further messages, please visit https://sourceforge.net/auth/subscriptions/

• sfpcom

sfpcom - 2020-03-23

I have a like situation and currently I use a solution to put all the due list in a map and link the node with reminders (using the FP anchors with shortcuts) to node in other thematically dedicated maps.
    This is because the solution suggested by Dimitry ( the previous I was utilizing) became too cumbersome, especially if you are using those maps to take notes during hourly meetings. Therefore I moved drastically to have many small maps (in reality not so small: 2000-4000 nodes normally). Before they were 10000-20000... (I utlize plenty of attributes, only some clones)
    Result is: only a map of reminders + some maps of to do lists for each group of projects (no reminders here)... currently it is flowing smoothly.
    New filters tools are very useful even in this case.
    Between thematic maps I utlize the abc163 connection: very good.
    KR
    SFPC

• Wiyouk

Wiyouk - 2020-03-24

Thanks.I know nothing about abc163 connections.I'll chevk.Th kas again for your advice
      -------- Message d'origine --------De : sfpcom sfpc@users.sourceforge.net Date : 23/03/2020 17:22 (GMT+01:00) À : "[freeplane:discussion]" 758437@discussion.freeplane.p.re.sourceforge.net Objet : [freeplane:discussion] Cloning in different maps I have a like situation and currently I use a solution to put all the due list in a map and link the node with reminders (using the FP anchors with shortcuts) to node in other thematically dedicated maps.This is because the solution suggested by Dimitry ( the previous I was utilizing) became too cumbersome, especially if you are using those maps to take notes during hourly meetings. Therefore I moved drastically to have many small maps (in reality not so small: 2000-4000 nodes normally). Before they were 10000-20000... (I utlize plenty of attributes, only some clones)Result is: only a map of reminders + some maps of to do lists for each group of projects (no reminders here)... currently it is flowing smoothly.New filters tools are very useful even in this case.Between thematic maps I utlize the abc163 connection: very good.KRSFPC---Cloning in different maps---Sent from sourceforge.net because you indicated interest in https://sourceforge.net/p/freeplane/discussion/758437/To unsubscribe from further messages, please visit https://sourceforge.net/auth/subscriptions/

• abc163

abc163 - 2020-03-24

That connection is just a reference. It syncs only one direction.

• Claudio Barreto

Claudio Barreto - 2020-07-05

I am using a solution that can help others.

I created a little script that generates (as a child) a copy of a node with all the information I need:

texto = $/=c.load(node['Mapa'].toString()).map.node(node['ID'].toString()).text/$;
    var filho=node.createChild("");
    filho["Mapa"]=node.map.file.toString().replaceAll("\\", '/');
    filho["ID"]=node.id;
    filho["FómulaParaDefinirLinkCaminhoAssuntos"]=$/=(node.link.uri = new URI ("freeplane:/%20/"+node['Mapa'].toString()+"#"+node['ID'].toString())) && (node["Caminho"]=c.load(node['Mapa'].toString()).map.node(node['ID'].toString()).pathToRoot.toString()) && (node["Assuntos"]=c.load(node['Mapa'].toString()).map.node(node['ID'].toString()).attributes.values)/$
    filho.text=texto;
    menuUtils.executeMenuItems(['formula.ClearDependenciesAction']); // this part is not working well (I would like to disable formula dependencis tracing).

I assigned a hotkey to the script and run it in a node I want to make a clone. After that, I cut the node and paste in the other map.

The child has the text of the source, a link to it and, my need, replicates all its atributes (in an attribute named "Assuntos").

:)