Menu

MindBike - OpenSource Mindmapping app, compatible with FreeMind

tomt
2014-07-28
2014-09-24
  • tomt

tomt - 2014-07-28

Hi there,
    I am a huge fan of Freeplane. Until now I haven't found a good solution to view and edit my mindmaps on the smartphone - so I programmed one by myself. Please have a look and let me know what you think. But keep in mind it is still very beta.

https://bitbucket.org/tomthe/mindbike-mindmapping

MindBike Mindmapping

MindBike is a Mindmap viewer and editor. It reads and displays Mindmaps in the Freemind/Freeplane Format (*.mm). Its possible to edit and save the mindmaps in the same format, so they are still compatible with Freemind or Freeplane.

Features

• Displaying and Editing of Mindmaps
    • Fully compatible with Freemind and Freeplane
    • Mindbike can't display or edit notes, icons, node-details and node-attributes. But it will preserve them, so they don't get lost by opening/saving *.mm-Files
    • Collaborative editing: Mindbike can merge two mindmaps easily. If you have two copies of the same map - one on your desktop and one on your smartphone - you can add nodes on both maps and merge them later. After merging you have all the new nodes of both maps in both maps! (No additional software (like Git) required)
    • Hashtags. Add #hashtags in your node-text to easily access nodes with similar content. Mindbike will generate a #Hashmap that bundles all the nodes with the same #hashtags. Use #hashtag:subtag to build subgroups. This enables an easy GTD (GettingThingsDone) workflow.

👍
    • Yu Shen

Yu Shen - 2014-08-02

Very interesting!

Just installed on my Android. But the interface is not intuitive enough for me to figure out how to use it. I tried Mindbike-0.4.3-debug.apk, the latest.

I'd be happy to help to test it.

Here are the main use cases that I'd like to try or test with:
      - Create a new mindmap on mobile
      - Edit a mindmap on mobile
      - Edit an existing mindmap created from PC.
      - Create a new tagmap on mobile.

Suggestion to provide how to get started information at the current place of "Welcome to MindBike-Mindmapping!", to be more helpful.

Thanks

Yu Shen

Last edit: Yu Shen 2014-08-02
  • Volker Börchers

Hi tomt,

sorry for this late acknowledgment. It feels a bit crazy that your post did not raise many enthusiastic replies since your feature map is really great - not only for the first version! Maybe everyone else is on summer holidays :-)

My favorite feature is

Mindbike ... will preserve them, so they don't get lost by opening/saving *.mm-Files

This is exactly what was missing in all the other software!

I yet have to have a look at Mindbike!

And everyone else waiting for a mindmap editor on Android: Try Mindbike!

Best regards,
    Volker

• jokro

jokro - 2014-08-03

Hi tomt,
      I expect you will get a bigger response if you would make available your software as a ready to install app. Or you could provide a description how to get and install on android for people using, but not programming for android.
      Regards
      Jodi

• Samson

Samson - 2014-08-04

Do you have to do more than install the .apk? Am I missing something?

• Yu Shen

Yu Shen - 2014-08-04

It seems to me that just installing would have the program running. But I
          was not able to make meaningful use of it. The problem is that the UI is
          not quite self-explanatory.

I installed it by
          adb install <the path="" of="" the="" program="">
          with my Android phone connected to my PC, with proper driver installed, and
          the USB debug enabled on the phone.

On Mon, Aug 4, 2014 at 11:48 AM, Samson onethatyawns@users.sf.net wrote:

https://sourceforge.net/p/freeplane/discussion/758437/thread/5298e20c/?limit=25#4641/f69c/a6ef

Sent from sourceforge.net because you indicated interest in
          https://sourceforge.net/p/freeplane/discussion/758437/

To unsubscribe from further messages, please visit
          https://sourceforge.net/auth/subscriptions/

• Nam

Nam - 2014-08-04

Hi,

You are right: you just need to install the apk file and then run it from
          your apps list (no app shortcut seems to be created on Android "welcome
          page" like for regular Google play apps).

Tomt,

Have you planned to setup a mailing list or discussion forum for users
          exchange?

Regards
          Le 4 août 2014 05:48, "Samson" onethatyawns@users.sf.net a écrit :

https://sourceforge.net/p/freeplane/discussion/758437/thread/5298e20c/?limit=25#4641/f69c/a6ef

Sent from sourceforge.net because you indicated interest in
          https://sourceforge.net/p/freeplane/discussion/758437/

To unsubscribe from further messages, please visit
          https://sourceforge.net/auth/subscriptions/

• Samson

Samson - 2014-08-04

Hi,

You are right: you just need to install the apk file and then run it >from
            your apps list (no app shortcut seems to be created on Android >"welcome page" like for regular Google play apps).

Welp, I'm used to meeting dependencies and even occasionally compiling from source, so just an .apk is pretty simple for me.

• Dimitry Polivaev

I have tried the app myself now. I was able to install and to uninstall it. I failed to understand how to use it too.

• Samson

Samson - 2014-08-05

Would you be willing to add "Android" to your list of operating systems supported with the Freeplane project?

• Dimitry Polivaev

Actually not because the app is not developed by any of Freeplane team members.

• tomt

tomt - 2014-08-05

Hi everyone,

it's great to see the interest in the program - thank you for the feedback.

I may should have warned you more: The app is beta and not ready for production use!

I thought the interface was intuitive - but I see: its only ok if you programmed it yourself ;) I will try to make it easier and offer a short introduction.

I develop the app on Windows. That's where I also test it most of the time.
    So the smartphone user-interface became a bit too tiny.
    There are also some issues with unicode-characters on Android.

At the moment I try to make an executable *.exe-file for Windows, so the app would be easier to test for you.

If someone wants to volunteer as a Tester - email me!

Thank you
    Tomt

• tomt

tomt - 2014-08-05

Installation on Android:
    copy the .apk file to your phone-memory.
    enable the installation of third-party-application in your phone settings (google that...)
    navigate via a file-explorer-app to the apk-file and execute it.

• nnako

nnako - 2014-08-09

Hi tomt,

thank you very much for your successful attempt to create a first version of a native Freeplane mindmap editor/reader for Android. The focus seems just right and the features you mentioned are exactly what the Freeplane community was looking for...

More via PM...

Regards.
    nnako