Menu

Groovy bug makes impossible running Freeplane with Java 16 and Java 17 LTS, your attention needed

2021-09-23
2022-05-09
  • Dimitry Polivaev

Freeplane can not be made fit for Java 17 because Groovy does not run correctly under Java above Java 15.
    I have reported this problem to Groovy developers in May 2021.
    Unfortunately the latest Groovy update 3.0.9 does not fix this problem.
    Also there is almost no reaction to my bug report.
    Probably Groovy developers do not see the impact of the problem.

If you feel affected by this issue please add your comments at the bug report and subscribe to it.
    We definitely need a discussion and a solution.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GROOVY-10070

Regards,
    Dimitry

👍

Last edit: Dimitry Polivaev 2021-09-23
  • quickfold

quickfold - 2021-09-24

Hi, I did add a comment at that site, but can you explain why this is important for FP development other than the general notion that it is good to have Groovy run on the most recent version of Java? It would help us comment if we understood why this issue has a big impact.

• Dimitry Polivaev

Currently Freeplane does not run under Java above 15 because Java 16 and above require different start parameters not supported by earlier versions and because after the switch some correct Groovy scripts would stop working without any possible work around.

Generally maintained projects should strive for working under the latest released framework and OS versions. After the Groovy fix is released Freeplane launcher can be adapted to work fine with the latest Java versions.

• Robert STeiner

Robert STeiner - 2021-09-24

they say it is fixed in 4.0.0. alpha... :) will see

• Edo Frohlich

Edo Frohlich - 2021-09-26

Thanks Dimitry

• Dietrich

Dietrich - 2022-02-16

From http://groovy-lang.org/releasenotes/groovy-4.0.html:
    "Groovy 4.0 requires JDK16+ to build and JDK8 is the minimum version of the JRE that we support. Groovy has been tested on JDK versions 8 through 17."

• Dimitry Polivaev

I know, it is on my to do list but with a low priority.
    Because they changed parts of Groovy API I would make it part of Freeplane 1.10.xx

• Dietrich

Dietrich - 2022-05-09

Works with 1.10.2. Many thanks for this improvement!