Menu

Can not install scripts "error in map structure: missing properties: .....

Dodji Do
2021-09-26
2021-09-28
  • Dodji Do

Dodji Do - 2021-09-26

Hi, while starting to experiment with addons and scripts I came upon a couple problems while trying to install the addon: editAttributesAsNodes.mm
    Freeplane responded with a complaint: Error in map structure: Expected exactly one child of editAttributesAsNodes.groovy but got 0.
    So then I thought that I probably should install that script first..
    But when trying to install the script FreePlane express yet more complains:
    Error in map structure: missing properties: [name, version, author freeplaneversionfrom]

As this happens before I choose any script and even before i get any file dialogue I get a bit worried or at least confused.. Do I need to sett this properties in a map?
    As I understand it this scripts and addons don't have any thing to do with a specific map, do they?
    Any advice would be welcome.

Also As you surely know Freenode is down and out. Have you any plans to have a channel on the new libera network?

• Alexandre

Alexandre - 2021-09-27

Hi Dodji Do,
      If you want specifically editAttributesAsNodes I can provide it as a script on https://github.com/viaa/FreeplaneScripts. I am not sure about the addon though. I don't know if it ever worked as an add-on. But as a script it works fine, I still use it.
      Please let me know and I will upload it to github.
      Alexandre

• Edo Frohlich

Edo Frohlich - 2021-09-26

Hi,
    When installing an addon, it should install all the scripts and other stuff. You don't need to do nothing manually (normally)

The error was when installing the addon or when using it for the first time?

• Henk van den Akker

Hi Dodji Do.

This script is made by @alexandreviau77, see this thread: [discussion:54fc70d6]. Reading the thread I get the impression that it has never materialized as an add-on. Hinted by the thread this is all I could find on Github: https://github.com/viaa/FreeplaneScripts which does not include this add-on. So from what source did you obtain the file editAttributesAsNodes.mm? As an add-on the file should look something like editAttributesAsNodes-v0.1.0.addon.mm and when you open it Freeplane will prompt you whether to install it or not. Maybe the file you have is the file that is used to package the add-on with the devtools add-on. That would explain the error you get, because that file does not contain the script. You really should ask @alexandreviau77 if the add-on exists and where you can get it.

Cheers,

Henk

👍

Related

Discontinued Forums replaced by GitHub: 54fc70d6

• Dodji Do

Dodji Do - 2021-09-27

Ok , I start to see the light!
    I searched on github for "freeplane" and kind of horded all extensions that I found interesting :/
    I know this is a terrible strategy, it's just my nature as the vampire said.
    I have always been a addon junkie.

I really start to like FreePlane.. It sure has a learning curve, that is why it has been sitting unused on my laptop for some year already.
    But I now read through the pdf with the articles.. and feel I now have some kind of grip on what this beast is and can do.
    I think this one is one that will follow me forward in life.

I am a man with only half a brain and to do things of size I desperately need visual feedback to not drown in abstract nodes, So I really thank you all for being here on earth in this time with me and engaging in this.
    I think it is important what you do. Both that it is freestanding(not a web service), complex, extendable, FOSS and MultiOS (specially that it includes Gnu/linux). I love it and you all for it!

That said I still wonder why i get this complaint when I try to open the "install script add on" dialogue ?
    I mean this: Error in map structure: missing properties: [name, version, author freeplaneversionfrom]
    Is this dialogue not for installing individual groovy scripts? Do I have to put all scripts in some special folder and set it in preferences ?

• Henk van den Akker

Hi Dodji Do,

If you want to be helped it really would have helped if you had provided us with the link to where on Github you had found the add-on. Luckily for you I have found it here: https://github.com/vboerchers/FreeplaneAddOns. As I suspected these are the source files for the add-on, not the add-on itself. You need the devtools add-on to package the add-on so that it can be installed. I have done that for you: the attachment is an installable add-on mind map. This add-on has never been officially published, so I do not know if it works anyway. At least you are able to install it now. If you are interested to try other add-ons, look on the add-ons page.

Success!

Henk

• Dodji Do

Dodji Do - 2021-09-27

Thank you Henk That was very kind of you, I would never have managed.
    But I actually gave up on that addon already as it clearly where above my present grade of both understanding and therefor ambition..

The question I asked in my last post was actually why the dialogue Tools > scripts> "install script add on" trow me an error like
    Error in map structure: missing properties: [name, version, author freeplaneversionfrom]
    This happens before I choose any script or a file dialogue even open.
    So it clearly don't have anything with any specific script to do.

But thank you again for making the addon, it will be interesting to see if it works.

• Henk van den Akker

Hello Dodji Do,

The script "Install Script Add On" is a script that will try to install your current open and active mind map as an add-on. Since in your case your current mind map is not an add-on, the script will fail and give these errors. If you open an add-on (e.g. the attachment in the other mail) and say "No" to the question whether you want to install it, then you can install it with the script "Install Script Add On". If I am not mistaken exactly the same script will automatically run when you initially say "Yes" when opening an add-on.

If you want to run another standard script that is always available in the Freeplane menu, you can try Help > Api Generator. For more information about running and writing scripts, see https://www.freeplane.org/wiki/index.php/Scripting. It also has a link to a page with sample scripts.

Success!

Henk

• Dodji Do

Dodji Do - 2021-09-27

Ok I thought that one could install groovy script that way, like some more lightweight servator addons/scripts/snippets. humpf.. that would be to easy I guess ;) I will learn.. Bless the children thou they know not what they do..

Thanks.

• Henk van den Akker

Installing scripts is very simple: you put them in the scripts directory of your Freeplane user directory. You can find your user directory via Tools > Open user directory.

• Alexandre

Alexandre - 2021-09-27

To install a script is just to copy the file to the scripts folder and
      restart freeplane.

On 27/09/2021, Dodji Do jirido@users.sourceforge.net wrote:

Ok I thought that one could install groovy script that way, like some more
      lightweight servator addons/scripts/snippets. humpf.. that would be to easy
      I guess ;) I will learn.. Bless the children thou they know not what they
      do..

Thanks.

Can not install scripts "error in map structure: missing properties:

Sent from sourceforge.net because you indicated interest in
      https://sourceforge.net/p/freeplane/discussion/758437/

To unsubscribe from further messages, please visit
      https://sourceforge.net/auth/subscriptions/

• Alexandre

Alexandre - 2021-09-27

To install a script is just to copy the file to the scripts folder and
      restart freeplane.

On 27/09/2021, Dodji Do jirido@users.sourceforge.net wrote:

Ok I thought that one could install groovy script that way, like some more
      lightweight servator addons/scripts/snippets. humpf.. that would be to easy
      I guess ;) I will learn.. Bless the children thou they know not what they
      do..

Thanks.

Can not install scripts "error in map structure: missing properties:

Sent from sourceforge.net because you indicated interest in
      https://sourceforge.net/p/freeplane/discussion/758437/

To unsubscribe from further messages, please visit
      https://sourceforge.net/auth/subscriptions/

• quickfold

quickfold - 2021-09-28

Thanks for the thread. Makes clear that the documentation needs to clearly differentiate between addons and scripts, and give different install instructions for each.

• Dodji Do

Dodji Do - 2021-09-28

Lol. Happy to been of service :P
    It is obviously a good time to be the ignorant around here.
    Confusion rulez!

Last edit: Dodji Do 2021-09-28