Menu

PDF Export functional again

2017-10-14
2019-03-26
  • Felix Natter

Felix Natter - 2017-10-14

Dear users,

we have fixed the issue with PDF/SVG rendering of SVG Icons.

Here is a preview (based on current 1.6) with working PDF/SVG export:
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/freeplane/files/svg/

Please test and report any problems.

Cheers and Best Regards,
    Felix

• AJAYN

AJAYN - 2017-12-05

Hi, I am using Freeplane 1.16.10 and am noticing performance issues with pdf export on Macs. I have some smallish maps (<50 nodes) with a few connectors. Exporting pdf can take many minutes and the resulting pdf file seems very large for such a small map.

Is this a known issue?

• Felix Natter

Felix Natter - 2017-12-05

hello AJAYN,

this is difficult as we're relying on external libraries for Java->SVG (batik) and SVG->PDF (fop) conversion. If you export to SVG, does that take long and is too large, too?

If we want to submit a bug report against batik or fop, then we need to find out what causes this in your map: Can you provide a minimal map that shows this problem and where it's only PDF or already in SVG export?

Cheers and Best Regards,
        Felix

• AJAYN

AJAYN - 2017-12-06

Attached is a map I used. It can take up to 10 minutes to generate a pdf on a mac (el capitan, java 1.8.0).

• Dimitry Polivaev

I know that the svg and pdf producing library (apache batik) has annoyingly bad performance. Unfortunately I do not knowa about any alternatives, and I know that at least some users find it useful. As an alternative you could try to print to PDF printer instead of using the export, on some computers it works better.

• Dimitry Polivaev

I tried to export your map to PDF on my computer (Windows 10) and it worked fast and produced nice result

Last edit: Dimitry Polivaev 2017-12-07
            • AJAYN

AJAYN - 2017-12-08

Sigh. I tried it on a different machine - a spanking new macbook pro with OS 10.12.6. Took 6 minutes to generate the pdf from this small file.

Oh well..

• Felix Natter

Felix Natter - 2017-10-15

Note that it will take a week or two before this is released.
    (it's not even part of previews yet).

You can help by briefly testing the svg test distribution above.

Last edit: Felix Natter 2017-10-15
  • Predrag

Predrag - 2017-10-16

Hi Felix
    i tested export to pdf and svg format, please see results.
    I found some bugs in svg and pdf export:
    1. text is cut off in svg export
    2. in pdf and svg export svg image (in root node) is not exported as svg and look as bitmap image
    in same time svg icons looks fine.
    Best regards
    Predrag

• Felix Natter

Felix Natter - 2017-10-21

hello Predrag,

regarding (1): I do not see any text cut off in the exported svg. Maybe this is a viewer issue?

regarding (2): I see the root node in both exports but you are right, the SVG icon in the root looks rasterized. But the sako.svg may be problematic, as it looks all black in the GNOME SVG viewer. It looks fine in Firefox though. This may be well be a limitation in our
      svg rendering library, svgSalamander. I consider this to be a minor problem though.

Cheers and Best Regards,
      Felix

• Christopher Vella

I'm running Freeplane 1.6.10 on Archlinux and pdf export seems never to finish. On the other hand svg export works fine and takes an instant. The pdf export is somewhat broken since upgrading to 1.6.x.

• Moonbase

Moonbase - 2018-06-16

I’m running Freeplane 1.6.15 on Java 1.7.0_171 and exporting a small file to PDF takes about 15 minutes (!) on my i7 8-thread laptop.

• Felix Natter

Felix Natter - 2018-06-16

helo Moonbase,

please try [x] Tools->Preferences->Environment->Export->Convert texts to shapes in exported PDF

This often helps to speed up the export.

Cheers and Best Regards,
      Felix

• Moonbase

Moonbase - 2018-06-21

Thanks for the hint, tested this with the same file:

Export Time Size
        Normal more than 2 hours 47.9 kB
        Text as shapes about 3 seconds 794.1 kB

Hmm. Both seem somehow … suboptimal.

• CM Barton

CM Barton - 2019-03-26

I was having the same problem on the Mac (Freepland 1.7.3 and 1.7.7). Converting text to shape fixed the export so that it is useable again. But this shouldn't have to be a secret fix for a basic function.

I was also able to get a PDF output by using the print controls and setting print to fit on one landscape page.

Last edit: CM Barton 2019-03-26
  • Dimitry Polivaev

Hello,

If you run the normal export again on any map ot should work very fast. The library we used for pdf generation - apache fop - collects and caches information about all avaiable fonts which takes very long on mac os and linux. The background is described at https://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/2.1/fonts.html#autodetect . Unfortunately I have found no way to accelerate or deactivate this process.

Please try the normal export again and report your experiences here.

Also consider that fop can not handle all kinds of fonts, therefore if you do not convert text to shapes you need to check the generated PDF.

Regards,
    Dimitry