Menu

Cant reduce the width of nodes pasted from Excel

C Chiu
2021-01-17
2021-01-28
  • C Chiu

C Chiu - 2021-01-17

When I select cells from excel, and then paste them into freeplane, I am unable to reduce the width of the node from its pasted setting. Most often, this is too wide and even using the ALT scroll wheel to modify the width only lets me widen it - not narrow it.
    Does anyone know how to do this ?

Thanks

• Edo Frohlich

Edo Frohlich - 2021-01-19

Hi,
    this happens because the nodes are pasted as html nodes and the width of the cell comes as a parameter in there.

if you go to any of the nodes pasted from excel and edit its text in a dialog (alt+Enter) and you go to the "HTML Code view", then you can see that the width is defined in there

example:
    I pasted an excel cell with the text "Fuerte". This is what the node's html code looks like:

<html>
      <head>
        <style type="text/css">
          <!--
            body { font-family: SansSerif; font-size: 10pt; color: #000000; background-color: #ffffff; text-align: left }
            p { margin-top: 0 }
          -->
        </style>

</head>
      <body>
        <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="1080" style="width: 810pt">
          <tr height="17" style="height: 12.75pt">
            <td height="17" class="xl65" width="1080" style="height: 12.75pt; width: 810pt">
              Fuerte
            </td>
          </tr>
        </table>
      </body>
    </html>

As you can see, it pasted a one cell html table in it with its dimensions and other additional info.

Solutions:
    1. you can paste it as plain text using the "Paste as.." command (Ctrl + Shift + v)
    2. you can change in preferences panel that your default paste method is plain text (that's how I use it. When I want rich format I use the "Paste as.." command). In Preferences/Behavior/Rich-Text Editor
    3. you can paste it as usual and then select it and transform its format to plain text with command Format/Node core/*Use plain text* (Alt+Shift+P)

Hope it helps,
    edo

• C Chiu

C Chiu - 2021-01-19

This is excellent!
    Thanks so much edo!

• C Chiu

C Chiu - 2021-01-27

When I SHIFT-CTL-V, I get the 3 options that popup.
    This is great - but is there a way to be able to use the keyboard arrow keys; then [ENTER] to select my options so i don't have to go grab the mouse again?

• Edo Frohlich

Edo Frohlich - 2021-01-28

Use Tab (2 times) and then the up and down arrows

or

Alt + the underlined character of the option you want
    (in english for example, Alt+P is for the option "plain text")

hope it helps

• C Chiu

C Chiu - 2021-01-28

The Alt + Underlined character does not work a none of the options are underlined but the [TAB] x 2 works fine! I'd never have thought of doing that. Thanks Edo!!!