Menu

How to create a Multilingual Map ?

Arno
2014-08-21
2014-08-25
  • Arno

Arno - 2014-08-21

Hi All,

I would like to create a map in 2 languages (I don't need an automatic translation), then switch between English and the other language.

Is it possible with FreePlane ?

Regards

• jokro

jokro - 2014-08-21

Hi Arno,
    Please make yourself more clear.
    You want one map with two languages or can it be two maps each in a different language.
    If you want the former, why can't it be the latter ?

In case of the former option:
    1. define a style for each language
    2. apply the proper language style to each node
    3. define a filter which select all nodes with a particular style
    4. Connect the filter to an <F>-key for easy switching

In case of the latter option:
    The Freeplane Help files are in different languages and you automaticaly get the Help file in your current language, or the language you set in the preferences.
    You could make a script to do the same with your files.

Regards
    Jodi

• Volker Börchers

Jodi's solution sounds good. Another idea: keep the first language in the node text and the texts for the second language in node details. A script could be used to switch back and forth.

Regards,
    Volker

• jokro

jokro - 2014-08-23

Arno,
    can you elaborate on your use case?

I use the same mind map (content) with different languages. I develop a map in one language and then replace its text with a different language. In this way links etc. keep working. If adding nodes to one map, I copy these same nodes to the other map.
    At use time I have the different maps open at the same time and I switch by pressing the tab vor the map. A disadvantage of this method is that moving to the different map, the selected node and folding state is different. I think of developing a script which will open the map in another language with the same node selected and optionally children open. What do you think ?
    Regards Jodi

• Arno

Arno - 2014-08-25

Hi Jodi,

Thanks for your answers

I'm working on ISO/IEC standards that are multi-translated documents. English is this original version.

I sometimes need to work with the original version, and sometimes with a translated one.

When I add a node in the english version I also need it in the translated one.

So I though it will be simpler to have only one document with 2 languages, and switch from one to other in one click.

Is it clearer ?

I'll try your 1st option by using styles an keep you in touch.

Regards