Extreme bloat:FreeMind adding StartFragment

2010-01-09
2013-04-11
  • Mark Donnelly

Mark Donnelly - 2010-01-09

I am using FreeMind version 0.9.0 RC 6.  I am a huge fan of FreeMind.  It has worked very well for me for a couple of years.  Until recently:  I have been having the same problem for several months, since RC 4.  In rich text nodes, FreeMind is mysteriously adding _massive_numbers of <!-StartFragment -> things in the rich text node.  You can see it in the HTML code window.

My current mindmap, which is not large at all, contains 14,638 of these pesky <!-StartFragment -> things.   The file bloat is terrible.

Please help.  I wrote to the users forum for help and NO ONE responded.   That's why I'm taking my complaint here.

This is a HORRIFIC bug and must be fixed!

I would be glad to submit the mindmap for someone to look at, but it appears I can't right here.

Here is the HTML from one of these nodes:

<html>
      <head>

</head>
      <body>
        <p>
          <b>Context: Admonishing Timothy to:</b>
        </p>
        <p>

</p>
        <p>
          [13]&#160;&#160;Hold fast the <u>pattern of sound words</u>&#160;which you have heard from me, <u>in faith and love</u>&#160;which are <u>in Christ Jesus</u>. [14]&#160;&#160;That good thing which was committed to you, keep <u>by the Holy Spirit</u>&#160;who dwells in us.
        </p>
        <!--EndFragment -->

</body>
    </html>
    <!--StartFragment -->
    <!--StartFragment -->
    <!--StartFragment -->
    <!--StartFragment -->
    <!--StartFragment -->
    <!--StartFragment -->
    <!--StartFragment -->
    <!--StartFragment -->
    <!--StartFragment -->
    <!--StartFragment -->
    <!--StartFragment -->
    <!--StartFragment -->
    <!--StartFragment -->

• LogicDaemon

LogicDaemon - 2010-01-10

About a week ago I had to manually cleanup 20 megabytes of repeated comments from one of my maps, because FreeMind ceased to load it (this is why I noticed at all). Comments were in <richcontent TYPE="NOTE"><html> nodes in MSO-style, like this:

<!--[if gte mso 9]>
    --- 3 megabytes of blah-blah-blah ---
    <![endif]-->

• Daniel Polansky

Daniel Polansky - 2010-01-10

The text <!-StartFragment ->  and <!->  is not inserted by FreeMind but rather inserted when HTML is pasted from a web browser or a Word document. Something could probably be done about both cases; FreeMind could automatically delete such pieces of text.

In any case, none of this is inserted by FreeMind itself; creating a new rich text node and editing it should not insert these strings.

If I am in fact wrong, it would be valuable that you open a bug report and describe in detail a procedure, meaning a sequence of steps to perform, of how I can reproduce FreeMind's addition of <!-StartFragment -> or any other undesirable text.

-Dan

• LogicDaemon

LogicDaemon - 2010-01-10

I think that FreeMind does not insert comments itself too, but it multiplies them. I do not use MSO neither I seen or load any HTML-pages of {3+} Mbytes size, so I assume I may have inserted some HTML-comment with text, and FreeMind then duplicated it every save. Note that in node, there were no any text except comments. Next time something like this will happen or if I will be able to reproduce, I'll make an attachment.

• Mark Donnelly

Mark Donnelly - 2010-01-12

Thank you everyone for your feedback.

I think for this reason, FreeMind needs to have the following 2 additions (at minimum, item number 1):

1. the capability of a clipboard "paste plain text" button in the HTML editor.  This is what a number of open source applications have, like Joomla.  This one addition, simple as it is, really is a must.  It's tedious having to do paste into a texteditor, copy from text editor, paste into FreeMind.

2. A "clean up messy code" button.  Again, this is very common in several open source apps, like Joomla.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

JavaScript is required for this form.

No, thanks