Freemind doesn't respect directory junctions

Anonymous
2011-01-26
2013-04-11

• Anonymous
    2011-01-26

Because Freemind 9 rc is a cross platform program, it uses a custom java interface for opening and locating files. This intreface however does not respect symlinks to folders, called directory junctions on Windows 7 (ntfs). The annoyance factor is that I'm forced to browse to the actual location of the files instead of using the symlink each and every time i need to open a mindmap. Alternative I would have to disrupt my own filing system by relocating the mindmaps to accommodate Freemind, which would be the world on its head. I suspect the custom file handling interface is also at the root of the problems with locating network drives as discussed elsewhere. I would suggest to swap out the file handling system for a more robust alternative. I use other java based programs that do not  suffer from this problem (eclipse, rssowl, virtualbox).
    I have switched to Freeplane for the time being but am ready to jump back to Freemind if this should get addressed.

• Hi,

Eclipse and probably the others are not pure java.
    Please try jedit for example.

What is your Java version?

HTH, Chris

• LogicDaemon
    LogicDaemon
    2011-01-27

For me, FreeMind' Open dialog does not work  with junctions in NT5.* Windowses: 2000, XP, 2003. Junctions are displayed as plain directories and work the same way.

In Vista and Seven (not tried 2008 though no reason that it will differ) junctions in "Open" dialog are shown as directories with arrow (like shortcuts). And they work when accessing their sublevels, not them directly.

Like on this path: "root\junction\subdirectory behind junction"

root - accessible
      \ junction - not accessible with both doubleclick and {copying and pasting the path}. Can be accessed by opening subdir, then going directory upper. Files behind this junction are accessible.
        \ subdirectory behind junction - accessible

Note that even Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer cannot open "%USERPROFILE%\Application Data" symlink, though it can open directories and files behind one. This is OS {inconsistent FS behavior} related issue.

• LogicDaemon
    LogicDaemon
    2011-01-27

first line: does not work -> DOES work!
    Other words: no such issue in 2000/XP/2003.