SourceForge has been redesigned. Learn more.
Close

more than "Always save folding sta...

Tsing Yue
2010-05-13
2013-04-11
  • Tsing Yue

Tsing Yue - 2010-05-13

What I need is:
    When folding state changes, the document won't become "dirty", and I can close freemind without a prompt and the state won't be saved.
    But when I click buttons or menu items to make a "save" action, freemind will save the current folding state.
    I need  such an option.

• Daniel Polansky

Daniel Polansky - 2010-05-15

A mind map becoming dirty (marked as modified and in a need of saving) upon folding and unfolding is an error of 0.8.1 and 0.9.0 series. The error is not there in FreeMind 0.7.1. Thank you for spotting the bug. -Dan

• Daniel Polansky

Daniel Polansky - 2010-05-15

Okay, whether this is considered a bug is disputable. Some users actually consider it desirable that folding and unfolding mark the mind map as dirty.

There should be the user option "resources_save_folding_state", which, when set to "false", achieves the behavior that you require. But I cannot find that user option in Preferences menu, so it might be necessary to set it manually to "false" in user.properties.

Related bug report:

Fold/Unfold not updated in xml, 2008-03-05
    http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1908046&group_id=7118&atid=107118

-Dan

• Tsing Yue

Tsing Yue - 2010-05-22

Hi Dan, thanks for your post.
    I have tired "resources_save_folding_state", it is conresponding to the "Always save folding state" option of the preference dialog. But this is still not what I want.
    If I uncheck this option, freemind will ignore all fold and unfold action, I mean if I was just viewing a map, freemind won't make this map dirty. This is good, because most of the time I just view one map. But somehow at last I think I should save the current folding state, because this map isn't dirty, noting is saved. If I modified any nodes, this map became dirty, then I click save button, the changes and folding state is saved. So I guess what I need is when I click save button, freemind will perform a save action no matter the map is dirty or not.
    Well, when I uncheck that option, after I modified some nodes, this map won't be dirty, which I think is a bug.

• Daniel Polansky

Daniel Polansky - 2010-05-24

That seems an unreasonable requirement. Either you want that a folding operation marks the mind map as modified, or not. When a mind map has not been modified, it should not be saved. Put differently, the following behavior is undesirable: "when I click save button, freemind will perform a save action no matter the map is dirty or not." -Dan

• Daniel Polansky

Daniel Polansky - 2010-05-24

For future reference:

The option "resources_save_folding_state" has the following location in
    user preferences (menu Tools > Preferences):

Environment > Save > Always save folding state changes

-Dan

• Tsing Yue

Tsing Yue - 2010-05-30

Hi dan, I have get used to the behavior of freemind. If I want to save the folding state I will make some "modify" then click save. But I think what "dirty" means to me is If I want to close an undirty  map, freemind will close it directly, but if I click the save button, freemind will perform a save action no matter it's dirty or not. Thanks for your reply, there is no more need to continue this discussion.