Freemind is too Heavy: Fork Suggestion

2009-05-07
2013-04-11
  • asdas dsadasd

asdas dsadasd - 2009-05-07

I use freemind as notepad. Though, it is just tooo heavy! I do not need a fifth of what it has: I do not need images, icons, tabs, html editors, export to weird stuff, etc! It's a wonderful program, but it's heaviness sucks for the sort of tasks mindmaps are usualy useful.

Isn't it time for a complete rewrite or fork that uses some repository-like architecture, like firefox and eclipse, and that as base has just simple mindmaps, with plain-text nodes?

That is, unless that the reason why it drags so much ain't related with the number of functionalities it offers...

Thank you,
    Pedro

• franckbanag

franckbanag - 2009-05-09

Great propoasal,

This has been answered with Freeplane wich is a fork from Freemind (Thanks Dimitry!)

http://freeplane.wiki.sourceforge.net/

My only concern, as I am following Freeplane evolution,  is Freeplane may go the same way as freemind, adding and adding features up to the point it looses the initial advantages as wonderful fast, compact, reliable notepad.

Regards

Franck

• Lynne Brown

Lynne Brown - 2009-05-10

Terrible proposal!

While YOU may use Freemind as a simple text editor, I (and other users, I'm sure) have used it for years now, as a powerful tool for brainstorming and documentation, including exporting to "weird stuff", HTML editing, and all.  I am extremely grateful for the the terrific features. 

It is unforgivably narrow-minded to think that the way YOU use a tool is the way EVERYBODY does or should use it, too. 

Suggestion: go back to Notepad.

• Daniel Polansky

Daniel Polansky - 2009-05-11

What exactly do you mean when you say that FreeMind is "heavy"?
      * Is it slow upon start up?
      * Is it slow during operation after it comes up?
      * Does it take too much memory?
      * Do you find the user interface cluttered, like with too many tool icons?
      * Do you wish there were fewer menu items to pick from?
      * In what way exactly does it hurt you that there is rich text editing, as long as there is a support of plain text nodes?
      * Do you find FreeMind 0.7.1 or even 0.6.7 faster than the version of FreeMind that you are using? If FreeMind 0.7.1 fits you better, did you consider the option of sticking to FreeMind 0.7.1?
      --Dan Polansky, 10 May 2009

• empty  C

empty C - 2009-05-13

Every software tool has its own purpose and Freemind is not "heavy" as you mentioned for the type of things you can achieve. Perhaps other software would better suit your preferences

I would like to take this opportunity and congratulate  the authors and all the people involved in developing this tool and hope you keep on improving its features and fixing the bugs. Having said that we should also be careful then not to create a "heavy" tool having always in mind that simplicity is one of the best features that Freemind offers to users.

I use Freemind alongside a fully heavy featured Project Management Tool in order to better my output at work in less time and provide a different visualization than the usual spreadsheet or table structure...

Many Thanks

• Sander Devrieze

Sander Devrieze - 2009-05-17

Solution: decent plugin framework.