zooming and font anti-aliasing

macm
2011-11-21
2013-04-11
  • macm

macm - 2011-11-21

Hi,

I find that any amount of zooming (in or out) causes hideous aliasing artefacts with the fonts in Freemind 0.9.0. I like to use AutoFormat, and I'm using a netbook so 75% zoom would be ideal for my screen size as 100% only lets me see a tiny section of the map. However, when I zoom to 75% the fonts becomes so distorted as to become barely readable! Does this only affect me? I've searched and I can't find anyone else mentioning this… is it OS-specific? I'm using OpenJDK under Ubuntu 10.04 (netbook remix).

• LogicDaemon

LogicDaemon - 2011-11-22

One of first things I do on new system is switching off any Anti-Aliasing or ClearType or whatever. They do blur.
    In Linux, with some tools you can configure subpixel aliasing/rendering and have some other options, so fonts will be more or less sharp, but YMMV.

Also, It doesn't (or shouldn't) relate to FreeMind only, it's systemwide option AFAIK.

• macm

macm - 2011-11-22

Switching off anti-aliasing is not really an option since un-anti-aliased fonts will look horrible all of the time.

However, following your suggestion I changed my rendering preferences from "subpixel smoothing (LCDs)" to "best shapes", and this seems to fix the zooming problem in Freemind. It is just a workaround though, because "subpixel smoothing" is the optimum rendering option for my display type and without it many other system fonts don't look as nice.

The zooming issue only affects Freemind or I wouldn't have mentioned it here. It's possibly something to do with the JRE I'm using. I will investigate further.

• macm

macm - 2011-11-22

OK, looks like it was a problem with OpenJDK.  I installed the Sun Java runtime, and this fixes the zooming issue.  A shame, because in all other respects Freemind was working just fine with the OpenJDK.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

JavaScript is required for this form.

No, thanks