Unnecessary formatting of text on paste into

peltast
2009-11-23
2013-04-11
  • peltast

peltast - 2009-11-23

The only way I have been able to get text out of freemind in a format useful to me has been by copy-paste. Formerly, the resulting text was formatted only with indentation - a minimal and effective representation of the structure.

In 9.0, this simplicity has been ruined by the inclusion of list bullets, expansion signs, etc.

The product is great, I enjoy it (blah blah blah  - I really do), but has now, due to this single change, and notwithstanding the addition of attributes, which I craved, been made *less* useful to me, needlessly imposing more work on me viz. the work of cleaning up the crappy output I now get.

Please, there are stylesheets for those who want the paraphernalia of lists and clickable expansion & contraction. Text output should be text - pure and simple - with no attempt to reflect anything but the hierarchical structure of the information.

There's no place for pseudo expansion links in copy-paste output. It is a text document now, or supposed to be. There is no place for bulletted lists. By imposing them you suggest freemind is only for the list making uses you have in mind. What about the prose making uses I have in mind. The central point of a freemind document is the structure it reflects. This should be reflected, as it is. Anything else is needless imposition.

I don't have the time to sit and learn XSLT and write my own formatting script. You surely do not propose that Freemind is only really for the use of those who do.

All I had to make freemind useful to me was the simple copy n paste. This has now been substantially devalued by the needless imposition of a formatting only some would prefer.

If anything, please allow the default formatting to bne changed. Otherwise I can never use anything above Version 0.8.1

• Daniel Polansky

Daniel Polansky - 2009-12-04

There seems to be a function which you think has been worsened in 0.9.0 as compared to 0.8.0. It is key that you describe in detail what function you are complaining about, what exact steps you make, what the expected results are - what you think should be the case, and what the actual results are - what really happens.

I presume that the referred function is the one in which you select a single long node, copy it,and paste it to a plain text editor such as Notepad. I do not know whether it is a plain text node or a rich text node, or whether you copy a whole branch containing descendants or you copy merely a single node. More detail is needed to see whether there is a problem and what can be done about it.

I do not know what operating system you are using.

Based on the little information that I have, I point to the possibility of turning rich text nodes into plain text nodes by pressing Alt + P, at least in English locale. I do not know whether this helps in any way.

-Dan

• Ian Lewis

Ian Lewis - 2010-02-13

I recognise this issue.
    If I select/copy rich text from the note window, I can paste this ok to another note window within Freemind, but when I try and paste this to a Thunderbird new mail message (ctrl-v or edit/paste) this fails.
    If I edit/paste_without_formatting then the text gets added as expected without the formatting.
    However with word & excel paste of formatted text works as expected.

So you could say this is a Thunderbird problem, however when I select/copy the formatted rich text in word I can paste it into Thunderbird.
    My impression is that the copy clipboard format seems to be the problem.

I often export to html to get round this issue, but would love to have this fixed. Needless to say I think Freemind is wonderful as it is.

I am using windows XP with version 0.9.0 RC 6

• Daniel Polansky

Daniel Polansky - 2010-02-15

Hello method1955, it seems that the buggy behavior that you describe is described in the following bug report:

Ctrl + C fails to copy rich text node to clipboard (Vista)
    http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=1820522&group_id=7118&atid=107118

Unfortunately, this seems to be a bug of Java rather than FreeMind, and the only known workaround is to export the rich text node to HTML, select it in a web browser, copy it, and paste it to the target application.

-Dan

• Ian Lewis

Ian Lewis - 2010-02-16

Dan,
    thanks for pointing this out, its an old bug (2007 status: wont fix)!
    Seems strange that there is no way to manipulate the clipboard buffer so the contents is compatible with other applications. However not having enough Java skills I'll let this rest.

Warm regards, Ian

• rosea2

rosea2 - 2011-10-18

Dan,
    I think the OP is describing something different to the rich text copying issue in the bug you link to:
    Suppose I have a map of all plain text (Alt-P) nodes, some with pattern formatting (F3, F4, F5…)

If I copy and paste this map into Word, I'd like to have it come out as a simple, plain text, tab-indented hierarchy, which I can then turn into a bulleted or numerical list with one click (this bulleting function doesn't work with space-indented hierarchies in Word; not sure about Open Office & others)

Instead, it comes out:
    - in a mixture of different fonts (including Times New Roman, inexplicably, which I haven't selected as a font option anywhere)
    - with "+ -" in front of collapsed nodes, and "~" in front of hyperlinks
    - with some, but not all, of the colours and styles from pattern formatting applied.
    - with a bulleting style already applied which doesn't match the hierarchy of nodes in the mind map

Exporting as HTML first doesn't help.

Currently, my work-around is to paste it into Notepad++, convert leading spaces to tabs using one of its plugins, then paste it into word. It'd be nicer if FM had a "Copy as plain text with tabs" option.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

JavaScript is required for this form.

No, thanks