Preferences not working in 0.8.0 on XP?

WesR
2008-01-19
2013-04-11
  • WesR

WesR - 2008-01-19

I have been okayung wuth FM and everything seems to work well except that the Tools/Preferences command and the shortcut Ctrl-comma seem to do nothing?

Is this a known problem?

What I would really like to do is create some new physical styles with more prominent charcteristics.

• Ken Robertson

Ken Robertson - 2008-01-19

G'day WesR,
      Which version of java are you using?  1.6?

FreeMind 080 and Java 1.6 don't play nice together.  1.5.0_13 is OK
      --
      Regards
      Ken

• WesR

WesR - 2008-01-19

G'day yourself!

This is a company laptop which seems to have four versions of Java in the C:\Program Files\Java directory: jre1.5.0_02. 1.5.0_06, 1.6.0_02, and 1.6.0_03.

I imagine that FM defaults to the latest version. Is there a way that I can wire it to start with one of the older versions, and if so will 1.5.0_06 play well with FM?

Thanks.

• Ken Robertson

Ken Robertson - 2008-01-20

G'day WesR,
          Yes there is.  I have a similar problem because OpenOffice.org always wants to update java with every update.  Start FreeMind using the .bat file in the freemind directory.  Edit the .bat file to have the full path to your java.exe of choice.

Using the .bat keeps a command window visible while you're using FreeMind.
          If you browse these forums you may find other suggestions to use javaw.exe - I couldn't get that to work

Note: you should really uninstall those old, insecure, versions of java.  Replace your 1.5s with jre1.5.0_14.

----
          Having written that lot I now notice that FreeMind 0.8.1 has just been released on Sourceforge to overcome this precise problem.  You have two choices now!

--
          Regards
          Ken

• WesR

WesR - 2008-01-20

Thanks heaps, mate.

I'll go with 0.8.1. I am a bit afraid to mess with the Java environment on the company laptop for fear of breaking some poorly written company application.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks