FreeMind won't close

Help
2009-07-03
2013-04-11
1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)
  • Colin Foster

Colin Foster - 2009-07-03

Using FreeMind 0.9.0 RC4 on a Windows Vista platform.

I had 0.9.0 working perfectly but something has changed and now
    1) as soon as I start FreeMind I get the New Mindmap as expected, already marked with a * to indicate that it has changed. Attempting to close FreeMind at this point brings up the usual Save the following mindmap? dialog, but no matter whether I click Yes or No FreeMind does not exit.

2) loading in mindmaps previously created in 0.9.0 display and are editable and savable, but cannot be closed, i.e. ctrl+W does nothing as does File ... Close.

FreeMind 0.9.0, or rather the Java engine, has to be killed off with the Task Manager in order to close it. Doing it this way clearly doesn't update recent file lists, or any other settings, and as a result the next time FreeMind is started there is no history, and a New MindMap.mm to be saved.

Note Freemind 0.8.1 works without any problem.

I've tried the usual uninstall 0.9.0 then reinstall 0.9.0, and also installing 0.8.1 then install 0.9.0 over the top but to no avail

The most annoying this is that it has worked well for the last few weeks. My guess is that there is some sort of permissions or profile setting that has changed on my machine

Any advice would be appreciated.

• rip-jon

rip-jon - 2011-05-12

The exact same thing happens to me. I work on a Windows Server Enterprise 2008 where Freemind was recently updated to 0.9.0. Using task manager is the only way to close the program.

This was never a problem in 0.8.1, just like colindfoster points out.

• Eric L.

Eric L. - 2011-05-12

Hi,

have you tried to move away (don't delete it until you're sure of what you do) your %USERDIR%\.freemind directory?

Eric

• Christian Foltin

Hi,

and moreover, please, provide the log file of a session that didn't close. Without, it will be very difficult to help.
    TIA, Chris

• rip-jon

rip-jon - 2011-05-13

@Eric I tried moving the .freemind directory but I'm not sure it was the right one, since it had not been edited for a couple of months. Maybe it was the .freemind directory from the 0.8.1 version that I found.

@Chris Excuse my ignorance, but where can I get a hold of the log file?

I suspect that this may have something to do with user privileges since I work on a server without any administrator privileges. Maybe the program is trying to save information into a directory which I'm not authorized to access. And maybe this directory was at a place that I could access with the previous version of Freemind.

• Christian Foltin

Hi,

the logfile is named something like log.0 in the %HOME%/.freemind/ directory.
    TIA, Chris

• rip-jon

rip-jon - 2011-05-13

Hello,

The only two files available in that directory are "auto.properties" and "user.properties" and they have not been changed since last year (C:\Users\My_name\.freemind).

• Daniel Polansky

Daniel Polansky - 2011-05-13

Hello, some diagnostic questions from me:

Q1: Can you create a new file file "test_file.txt" in "C:\Users\My_name\.freemind"? That is, can you create new files in that folder?

Q2: Can you save any mind map?

Q3: Can you save a mind map from FreeMind into "C:\Users\My_name\.freemind" folder?

Thanks for any answers; they should help track the problem. -Dan

• Daniel Polansky

For a test, I have set "C:\Users\My_name\.freemind" and all its files as read-only, and run FreeMind 0.9.0. I could close it without any problems. (Windows Vista, Java 1.6.0_24) -Dan

• rip-jon

rip-jon - 2011-05-13

Hello Dan,

Q1: Yes I can create a test file there. Although, previously I tried to move this folder (which was previously hidden) into another directory and then moved it back. And now, it does not appear to be hidden anymore. But if I didn't have any privileges to that folder, I suspect that I would not have been able to even move it in the first place.

Q2: No. I am unable to save or close any mindmap. Furthermore, since I need to use the task manager to close the program, any preferences that I enter into the preference pane, do not save. An example would be that if try to open a mindmap from 0.8.1, I get asked if I want to convert this mindmap to 0.9 and despite the fact that I click the box, remember my choice, I get asked the same conversion question every time I open freemind.

Q3: No, unfortunately not, since saving anywhere seems to be out of the question.

• Daniel Polansky

Let me then ask some more questions:

Q4: What Java are you using? Are you using Java from Oracle? (Try typing "java -version" into a console window to find out.)

Q5: Is your OS (Windows Server Enterprise 2008) 32-bit or 64-bit?

Q6: Does your FreeMind installation contain bundled Java? (To find out, go to the folder into which FreeMind is installed, and check whether you see "jre" subfolder or something of the sort.)

Q7: When you download the zip version of FreeMind 0.8.1, does it run, and can you close it? (You do not need to install it: just unzip the downloaded zip archive and double-click Freemind.exe.)

-Dan

• rip-jon

rip-jon - 2011-05-13

Ok, let's see…

Q4: Java version 1.6.0_24. Java HotSpot(TM) SE Runtime Environment Client VM

Q5: That would be 32 bit Windows Server Enterprise 2008.

Q6: No, it doesn't seem to include bundled Java.

The folder structure in the freemind folder contains the following:
    accessories
    browser
    doc
    lib\ant\lib
    lib\jibx
    lib\SimplyHTML
    plugins\help
    plugins\script
    plugins\svg
    plugins\time

Q7: Yes. The 0.8.1 zip version contains a freemind.exe file that I can open. I tried opening a new mindmap and then closed the program without any problem.

/Leif

• Daniel Polansky

Hm.

Q8: When you run FreeMind 0.9.0 from the batch, by running "freemind.bat", do you see any error messages? (I would be surprised if you would see any, as they are written in the log file instead, but let us try anyway.)

Q9: When you download the zip file for FreeMind 0.9.0 from SourceForge, unzip it, rename ".freemind" to ".freemind 2" or something, and then run Freemind.exe from the unzipped archive, do you still have the troubles with closing the app?

From what you have written, it seems that FM 090 does not write the log file "log.0" (and "log.1", etc.) where I would expect it: into ".freemind" folder. What I can imagine is that FM 090 tries to create a log file, and when that fails, everything else from then on does not quite work. But I don't really know. FM 081 does not write any log file: when run from the batch, it logs all the error messages into the console.

This problem is hard to diagnose, for me anyway, as we cannot even look into the log file. Answering Q8 and Q9 above are yet another steps that comes to mind.

Thank you for all these answers; they are crucial for diagnosing the problem, especially given that I do not recall having dignosed this problem before.

-Dan

• Christian Foltin

Hi,

again, the most important thing is the log file. This helps, everything else doesn't.
    If you don't find it, use the freemind.bat and send the output of the console on closing.
    Tia, Chris

• Christian Foltin

Hi, I guess, that you're looking in the wrong place for the log files. The place should be told by the bat file as well.
    PS: Sorry, I missed some messages in between.
    Chris

• rip-jon

rip-jon - 2011-05-17

Q8: More info below.

Q9: This did not change anything actually. The program still refused to close.

I think that I have found the problem now though:

"Error creating logging File Handler
    java.io.IOException: Couldn't get lock for C:\Users\Administrator\.freemind\log"

So unless I'm mistaken, it seems that the program is trying to write information into the administrator folder to which I have no permission. So I think that you are right Dan, the program runs into problem when it fails to write information to the log.

So I asked the IT department for temporary access to the folder and that solved the problem. So it seems that since the program is trying to access a folder on an admin level, above the user level, Freemind in its current configuration will not work in a server environment such as the one in which I am working.

• Daniel Polansky

Daniel Polansky - 2011-05-17

Hello Leif AKA rip-jon, thanks for getting back to us, and I am glad you have your problem solved. Let me ask one more thing:

Q10: What do you get when you type "echo %HOMEPATH%" in your DOS window? Like, does the result contain the user "Administrator" or is your own user name it in? (I want to verify that %HOMEPATH% leads to the truly used ".freemind" folder in your set up.)

Q11: What do you get when you type "echo %USERPROFILE%" in your DOS window? Like, does the result contain the user "Administrator" or is your own user name it in?

Thanks again for all the patience with my questions. -Dan

• rip-jon

rip-jon - 2011-05-17

Hello again,

No worries, thanks for hearing me out :-).

Q10: The result returned is "\Users\My_name"

Q11: The result returned is "C:\Users\My_name"

"Administrator" is not included in any of the above it seems.

• Daniel Polansky

Daniel Polansky - 2011-05-17

Okay, last question, I hope:

Q12: What if you enter this into a DOS console, what do you get?

REG QUERY "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders" /v Desktop

-Dan

• rip-jon

rip-jon - 2011-05-18

Q12: I entered the string above and got the following result:

C:\>REG QUERY "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Fol
    ders" /v Desktop

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folde
    rs
        Desktop    REG_SZ    C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop

• Daniel Polansky

Daniel Polansky - 2011-05-18

There were are. There is a bug report of Java that says the following. Java, to determine the value of "user.home", takes the value of the mentioned registry key, and strips off the last part ("Desktop"). So in your case, FreeMind asks Java for "user.home", and gets "C:\Users\Administrator", to which FreeMind appends ".freemind". Thanks! I will add this information to a wiki page about FreeMind home. -Dan

• Daniel Polansky

Daniel Polansky - 2011-05-18

Let me ask one more thing about your setup. The way it is right now, FreeMind preferences are saved to "C:\Users\Administrator\.freemind".

Q13: Is "C:" a network computer that you share with other users?

If so, then I estimate that if more users use FreeMind from that shared network computer, they overwrite each other's preferences, by each user's writing to "C:\Users\Administrator\.freemind\auto.properties". This would be an unintended consequence of your current setup. If you are the sole FreeMind user there, you should have no problem, though. -Dan

• rip-jon

rip-jon - 2011-05-18

Q13: Yes C: is a network drive that is shared with other users.

So at the moment, Freemind works ok for me since I am the only one evaluating the program. But if more users were to start using the program, then I suspect that there would be trouble.

I have to be honest here, maybe Freemind is not supposed to be used by many people in a server environment, But if this is one of the intended uses, it does not work that well in its current configuration.

• Daniel Polansky

Daniel Polansky - 2011-05-19

Frankly, I think it is more of a FreeMind issue to be fixed than anything else. FreeMind is supposed to be used in a network environment, just like other application programs such as Firefox or OpenOffice. Actually, FreeMind does work fine in a Windows network environment unless the environment uses *shared desktops*, which is your case. A fix to the issue would be to use a more proper folder for FreeMind settings in Windows; in Windows Vista: C:\Users\User name\AppData\Roaming\FreeMind. What we need to figure out is how to get this folder in such a way that it works fine across various versions of Windows: Win 95, Win 98, Win NT, Win 2000, Win XP, Win Vista and Win 7. In my Windows Vista, the environment variable %APPDATA% points to the folder, but we need to figure out whether this works for other Windows versions.

What would seem an option is wait until Java fixes the bug of how it determines the value of "user.home". But there are two issues with it. First, Java is unlikely to fix this any soon: the bug is years old and without any signs of getting fixed. Second, a future Java release cannot fix the fact that user's home is a poor location for FreeMind settings in Windows environment: the customary location for application settings in Windows Vista a probably Windows 7 is user-home/AppData/Roaming/. As I have written, the tricky part is how to obtain this location, and that needs to be researched.

I have found some FreeMind bug reports that compain about wrongly determined location for ".freemind". I have now created a new bug report, in which I describe things from my point of view:

Settings in Windows network with shared desktops, 2011-05-19
    http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=3304466&group_id=7118&atid=107118

-Dan

• Christian Foltin

Hi,

please try out, if the error got fixed in the FM 1.0.0 Alpha4 version (use the zip version and remove it after the try, this is not proposed for productive use).

TIA, Chris

1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)