Linking to programs in Arch - Fluxbox

Help
Toni
2010-11-14
2013-04-11
  • Toni

Toni - 2010-11-14

I installed freemind 0.9.0 rc10 in Arch Linux with fluxbox. I currently have a mindmap in which I link to plain text files. When I click on the link, the file opens in Firefox, instead of the editor Bluefish.
    Default browser command is xdg-open {0}.
    I tested by executing xdg-open <filename> in a terminal, where it works.
    I installed thunar and nautilus just to make the file associations work. I don't know if this was necessary, but surely it didn't help..

Any help is appreciated.

• Eric L.

Eric L. - 2010-11-15

Hi,

did you call xdg-open with URL-type file parameter 'file://path/filename' or with UN*X-type file parameter '/path/filename'.
    FreeMind always uses the first kind, which would explain the difference with calling from the command line.

If I'm right with my assumption, then it's a (configuration or bug) issue with xdg-open that should try to guess the file type instead of handling file-URLs like http-URLs and hand-over to the browser.

Hope this helps,
    Eric

• Toni

Toni - 2010-12-16

Sorry for the late reply.. I have been rather busy.

I called xdg-open with UN*X-type file parameter..
    In the mean time, I discovered that xdg-open works for text files with non-standard extensions, e.g. *.lnx. Nevertheless, it keeps opening a blank tab in the browser first, then it starts the default editor.
    Anyway, I changed the preferences for "other os" to "bluefish {0}", since I link most often to an editor. When I need to use a link to a web-URL, I just copy/paste the link in a webbrowser :^)

Toni

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks