Menu

Accessing patterns.xml on a Mac

Help
2006-04-30
2013-04-11
  • Nobody/Anonymous

I run Freemind on Mac OX 10.3.9

I want to edit the patterns in patterns.xml. Anyone know how I can open and edit?

Thanks

David W

• Ken Robertson

Ken Robertson - 2006-04-30

G'day David W,

It's a plain text file so you should be able to open it with your favourite text editor.  (Don't know if Macs are funny about that tho'?)

--
      Regards
      Ken

• steve

steve - 2006-04-30

What is the format of such a file. On my mac, there is no such file that I can find

• Nobody/Anonymous

Thanks... but like Steve I can't find any such file. If I could I could then use textedit.

• Steve Jakob

Steve Jakob - 2006-05-28

The file is embedded within the application JAR file:

FreeMind.app/Contents/Resources/Java/lib/freemind.jar

Editing the file would require it be extracted using the "jar" utility in the JDK, and then replacing the original in the JAR.

• Maurício Habert

Hi, Steve, could you give me (us) more details? Which utiliity exactly are you mentioning? (I'm searching at http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/tooldocs/index.html but no "extract" here.

Actually, I'm so lame that I even can't get in the FreeMind dir/app (keep getting "FreeMind.app: No such file or directory")

While we're at this, why the developers didn't mention this detail for Mac users?

Thanks,

M

• spinifex

spinifex - 2010-09-08

Here how to do it in Mac 0.9.0 RC7

IN FINDER
    Duplicate Freemind as Freemind Copy (for safety)
    With Freemind Copy: Open Package Contents via Rt-Click Menu
    Find freemind.jar in above (use spotlight or its in /Applications/FreeMind.app/Contents/Resources/Java/lib/
    Copy freemind.jar to Desktop
    Unarchive freemind.jar (becomes "Freemind" folder on desktop) (I use The Unarchiver app)
    Edit the files you want to edit (edit xml with html editor; .properties files with Textedit etc)
    Find (in Folder META-INF) and Copy MANIFEST.MF to root of "Freemind" folder from above
    Delete folder META-INF

Recompiling the freemind.jar file:

Open Terminal and type following:
    cd Desktop
    cd freemind
    jar -cvmf MANIFEST.MF freemind.jar *

IN FINDER (replacing freemind.jar)
    From Desktop: copy new freemind.jar back to where you originally got it: ie "Freemind Copy" in Applications
    Check the program works.