OSX Retina / Java version

Help
2013-07-24
2013-08-16
  • pacific_2096

pacific_2096 - 2013-07-24

I recently switched to a MacBook Pro with retina display, and find FreeMind very fuzzy. I checked here:

http://stefan.budeanu.com/blog/?p=88

and it seems Java 1.7 has this problem. I looked into the FreeMind package contents and see it comes bundled with a 1.7 JRE. Is there a setting somehow to redirect it to the 1.6 JRE in System folder? Will it even work with 1.6?

Thanks
    Tim

• pacific_2096

pacific_2096 - 2013-08-16

Just bumping this as from previous experience I know FreeMind is a great app and I'd really like to use it, but with the fuzzy appearance on Retina display I can feel a headache developing just trying to focus on it.

So, I'm wondering if there's a way to download FreeMind as a JAR or similar, so I can just run it from the command line with my JRE of choice, rather than the bundled JRE 1.7?

• David Regal

David Regal - 2017-03-11

Short answer, yes! Quick and dirty method is below.

Backup your system and venture into the quick list of steps and commands below.

• Download JRE from Oracle - the .tar.gz, not the dmg. I downloaded jre1.8.0_121.jre, but pick what you like.
    • Uncompress the .tar.gz file and move folder to dir of your choice. (e.g. I move mine to /Users/davidregal/ProgramsExtra/ ).
    • Open Terminal. Modify and run commands below.
    cd /Applications/FreeMind.app/Contents/PlugIns/jdk1.7.0_45.jdk/Contents/Home/jre
    mv lib{,_jdk17} # Move existing jre for safe keeping
    ln -s /Users/davidregal/ProgramsExtra/jre1.8.0_121.jre/Contents/Home/lib .

• Start Freemind.

For cleaner solution, we should rename or move the parent dir jdk1.7.0_45.jdk but I think I ventured into this before and failed. When changing the name of that folder, there were other files that needed to be updated that pointed to that dir.

I know this is an old post but I hope it will help someone. I recently had a problem with Freemind on my Macbook where text was getting overwritten. I suspected it was the Java version being used. I had the same question as the OP. Googling yielded no answers but this question was in top ten of search results. Now hopefully people will find the answer and more likely to use or keep using Freemind. Freemind is a great app and if I can spread its use, then maybe development will continue.

Last edit: David Regal 2017-03-11
  • Pavan Lanka

Pavan Lanka - 2017-08-09

Try the following:

cd /Applications/FreeMind.app/Contents/Plugins
    ln -s <java installed="" in="" osx=""> . # e.g ln -s /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_111.jdk .
    cd ..
    vi Info.plist # Change the value of key JVMRuntime to the name of the directory e.g. jdk1.8.0_111.jdk

After this it should work.