SourceForge has been redesigned. Learn more.
Close

Freemind for PocketPc ?

2004-03-21
2004-08-04
  • Rob Verkuylen

Rob Verkuylen - 2004-03-21

Haven't seen this Q in the forum so here goes:

Any chance on porting freemind to PocketPc ?
    Freemind is great as it is, but being able to bring the maps to a mobile device would be a great improvement in usability.

If more ppl are looking for this I'm willing to help create something like this.

Rob.

• HelgeM on the mailing list

You will find info on this in the FAQ in the Wiki (http://freemind.freezope.org)

• Rob Verkuylen

Rob Verkuylen - 2004-03-21

Ok, so no succes stories for the PocketPC platform.

If anybody has tried and wants to share the info, contact me at rob@verkuylen.net.

• Robert Reppel

Robert Reppel - 2004-03-26

I wonder if there are existing freeware/open source mind mapping apps for handhelds which could be made to synchronize with FreeMind without writing from scratch? For example, there is http://www.freewarepalm.com/graphics/ideapad.shtml for the Palm. It's a good idea, but inevitably suffers from the very small screen size. If one were to take notes, possibly in outline mode and then could two-way synchronize them with FreeMind, hand held versions could potentially be a great deal more useful.

Robert

• Marc

Marc - 2004-03-31

If you're using Word or Excel on your desktop and can create Word/Excel docs on your Palm, maybe this works for you?

1. transfer indented notes from Palm to Word/Excel on desktop PC; highlight tab-indented data that you want to convert to mindmap

2. Use ctrl+mouse drag to pull the data from Word/Excel onto Freemind's map area

3. Drop the data where you want it

Marc

• Richard Ries

Richard Ries - 2004-03-31

Marc -
        A fascinating idea. I'm wondering, however, if I'm doing something wrong, or if this is The Way Things Work. I have a tab-indented list in Word ( 4 dots = 1 tab):

....Header 1
        ........Text 1
        ....Header 2
        ........Text 2
        ....Header 3
        ........Text 3
        ....Header 4
        ........Text 4

When I dragged it to the FM root node, I got (dots here just for spacing, '<' and '>' indicate lines running between nodes):
        ....Header 1..............................Text 1
        ....Header 2..............................Text 2
        .................. > New Mindmap <
        ....Header 3..............................Text 3
        ....Header 4..............................Text 4

When I dragged it to a non-root node, I got (dots here just for spacing):
        .............................Header 1
        .............................Text 1
        .............................Header 2
        Node <....................Text 2
        .............................Header 3
        .............................Text 3
        .............................Header 4
        .............................Text 4

What I had been expecting was something like this:
        ................Header 1 ---- Text 1
        ................Header 2 ---- Text 2
        Node <
        ................Header 3 ---- Text 3
        ................Header 4 ---- Text 4

Were my expectations too great, or did I miss something??

Thanks,
        --Rich

• Marc

Marc - 2004-04-01

Hmm...yes, the results are sort of...interesting. I tried both of your methods and though I didn't understand your second diagram, I found that I got a perfect reprouction by dragging to a child of the main node.

This is the example I used, just to be a little harder on FM:

A method of protecting police officers while off duty
          Sentry guard bots
              Advantages
                  Mechanical
                  Indestructible
              Disadvantages
                  Scary to the populace
                  Indestructible
                      If they go on a rampage and kill everyone in their path, we as a police department will probably be sued. Probably.
          Police-designed cars
              Nice idea!!!!!

Hope the indents show all right...anyhow, I got great results with that. No problems with attaching to the main node (as per your 1st example) at all. No further organization was required within FM.

So maybe there's a minute difference between your example and mine? I wonder how FM processes the numbered information (Header 1, Header 2, etc.) from the clipboard, if at all?

Marc

• Richard Ries

Richard Ries - 2004-04-01

I discovered that Word seems to have 2 types of TABs: the first, gotten by pressing the TAB key, __moves the margin indicators to the right__. When this is done, FreeMind gets confused. The second, gotten by pressing CTRL + TAB, gives a "normal" tab operation, and FreeMind likes this.

Now for my great discovery!! (Great for me, maybe this is known elsewhere.) FreeMind will apparently accept _any_ tabbed, dragged-and-dropped input: I tried this with my text editor, EditPlus, and it worked fine! AND, I can d-n-d non-root nodes from FM to EditPlus!!  <Turning cartwheels>

I _LIKE_ this!

--Rich

• Marc

Marc - 2004-04-01

Sorry, Sourceforge's posting system didn't carry over the tabs from my example.

Here is the small .doc file:

http://www.friendlyskies.net/fm_clipboardtest.doc

Try that.

This is giving me a lot of ideas about resurrecting my old PPC :)

Marc

• HelgeM on the mailing list

* And another: I am using Emacs my Pocket PC ( see http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl/Emacs_and_EmacsWikiMode_on_PDAs\) (yes, really works fine!)
      and
      http://freemind.freezope.org/FreemindWiki/ImportAndExportToEmacsAndWikipediaOutlines
      for import/export Freemind<->Emacs

• Naanoo

Naanoo - 2004-08-04

I would be thankful if someone could help me on how to install FreeMind in Zaurus SL-6000. I tried evm command for running freemind.jar, located in /lib, but I get a message asking for main class name.

I used the command:
      evm -cp freemind.jar

Would appreciate any help.

Thanks and regards,