non-hierarchical knowledge?

2004-11-09
2013-04-11
  • Peter Valdemar Mørch

Newbie question:

How does one represent relationships that are not hierarchical by nature? Take e.g:

Computers
        Network Equipment
            Routers
            Firewalls
        Servers
            WebServers
            FileServers
        Operating Systems
            Unix/Linux
                Linux
            Windows
            Mac

Some Firewalls that on Linux and employ Web Servers for their configuration interface.

Where would I "fit them in"? Is there a way to have a node that is serveral places in the tree at once? (E.g. a node group "Filanet" under FireWalls, WebServers and Linux)

This is the common problem I always run into when trying to establish a hierarchical tree of knowledge - I invariably find that reality is just more complicated than that.

The web works because everything can link to everything, and there is no "root" node. Just like I personally don't have a "root" thought.

Under UNIX I use hard & soft links... Is there any way to represent this sort of non-hierarchical relationship in FreeMind?

Peter

• Peter Valdemar Mørch

That was supposed to be hierarchical, but got munged by the forum sw:

Computers
      ----Network Equipment
      --------Routers
      --------Firewalls
      ----Servers
      --------WebServers
      --------FileServers
      ----Operating Systems
      --------Unix/Linux
      ------------Linux
      --------Windows
      --------Mac

• Pedro Santelmo

Pedro Santelmo - 2004-11-09

yeah,
      There should be a way of having parents in a table of attributes of the node. Then, they would link in several places. Perhaps, every attribute element, should have a special ID that would act as a namespace to follow its track.
      Then, in a graphical edition, the program should authomatically choose the ID that corresponds when you create a child from a certain branch.
      I guess that I saw something similar at the new Galeon bookmarks.
      So, every node object should have (among other things) these table of links:
      parents { ID, previousNode },...
      childs    { ID, nextNode      },...
      And when you want to create a new child, you should append it to the node's ID that corresponds to the branch where it is going to be.

In life, there is always a root but it never keeps on being the same for a long time... As when we focus on some thought or image.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

JavaScript is required for this form.

No, thanks