Menu

new version of Freemind flash Browser

JuanPedro
2006-01-19
2013-06-24
1 2 3 .. 7 > >> (Page 1 of 7)
  • JuanPedro

JuanPedro - 2006-01-19

Hello all, I have just generated a new version of the flashBrowser, It is not fine yet, but offer some requested funtionality.

Added new functionality:
    unfoldFromNode (from right click menu)
    foldFromNode (from right click menu)
    suport for inner links (green arrows)
    navigation between graphical links (ctrl+leftButton) [no support yet for multiples links]

two new buttons:
    - search: navigate between the nodes which text contain the searched string
    - visited: list of visited nodes. two modes:
    * flash7: simply show the list of visited mindmaps. Double click on any fo themjump to the mindmap.
    * flash8: list of visited mindmaps with snapshots of them. Three kind of presentations (piled, in a column, or spread)[clicking in the "V" button, navigate between then]. You can generate of snapshots from of all the mindmaps reachable from the actual mindmap.(flash 8) [ access from the right click menu ]

some new initial options:
    "ShotsWidth" de with of the generated snapshots (flash 8)
    "genAllShots" for generating snapshots (flash 8)
    "unfoldAll" for starting the mindmaps with all nodes unfolded

an example generating the snapshots can be seen in  http://www.efectokiwano.net/mm/prototipo.html
    you can download the visorFreemind.swf  from http://www.efectokiwano.net/mm/versions/visorFreemind_0.96.zip

Hopes you like :)

Juan Pedro.

• Ken Robertson

Ken Robertson - 2006-01-19

G'day Juan Pedro,

Oh so neat!  So this is what you do on your holidays, think of ideas for the flashBrowser!  :-)

Some observations.
      On your example page, with the visited pages in their stacked view I cannot choose either of the bottom three listed pages (OpenGL.mm, DirectX.mm and CELL.mm).  As soon as the mouse pointer gets close to those last few files, they move away! 

Also the initial CELL.mm snapshot is blank.  Regenerating the shots for linked maps doesn't populate the snapshot's image.  Visiting the map and then generating the snapshots fixes the display.

Also on that example page, in the piled view, it's possible to drag (bump 'n drag?) a snapshot over the top of the pile such that you can't see the cards underneath.  Regenerating the snapshots doesn't reset the display.

With some of my own maps I now notice that the root node often disappears after Right Click and 'fold all from node' followed by 'unfold all from node'

I'm not sure what your green (local) link 1s doing.  It used to cause the browser to load the .mm file in a new tab, but it's no longer re-loading the file, just appears to be repositioning it.   Similarly Ctrl click on a graphical link doesn't seem to do anything...

In your Info display you show Shift : text selection.  What's that?  And the Ctrl+Rmouse?  That just pops up the menu?

Thank you for Search.  So far I only want to search normal nodes (not with notes) and it does what I want it to do!

(Don't forget to update your freeMindFlashBrowser.mm with the new attributes and their default values.)

Well done

--
      Regards
      Ken

• Ken Robertson

Ken Robertson - 2006-01-28

G'day Juan Pedro,

Just noticed that in versions 0.95 and prior a mindmap can be folded to display only the root node.  In 0.96 we can only fold down to the first child.  Was that intentional?

--
      Regards
      Ken

• Stéphane HEUDE

Stéphane HEUDE - 2006-01-30

Hi Juan,

Wow !
      But when i go to prototipo it showed me all the mm files and i could do nothing the time it load them...
      The index of all mm pages is a good idea,
      the search box too, but i have not tested what happened if there are several answers...

i should had wait and used attribute, it is more simple than notes to deal with many language,

Ken, have you planned to release v8 with support attribute for windows OS ?
      i would like to use this feature to manage both english and french notes.

abayo

• Ken Robertson

Ken Robertson - 2006-01-31

G'day Stéphane,

If you're addressing this to me, I think you have me mixed up with someone who has skills in this area!  FreeMind with Attributes is Dimitri's baby.

By the way, with multiple search results, repeatedly pressing the green search arrow will jump through the results, but you've probably discovered that by now.  :-)

--
        Regards
        Ken

• JuanPedro

JuanPedro - 2006-01-30

Hello Kenrob, yes it is intentional to just let fold to the first child, I made this change to work like the java application. I just repair the stack problem for the linked version. I tried to reproduce the main node problem but could'nt reproduce. The green link (internal link) now works, and like the ctrl link, center the reference in the middle of the stage. Yes, I´ll update the freeMindFlashBrowser.mm tonight.
      Hello Lapinou, while the program is generating the shots, yes you can not do anything. The best way to use is to do it from the right click menu, just when you like. The link to prototipo have forced the generation of the shots

thanks for your sugenstions, and sorry for my late response Kenrob.

Juan Pedro.

• Ken Robertson

Ken Robertson - 2006-01-31

G'day Juan Pedro,

I must admit that I liked the ability to fold everything up, but I can see that it might confuse some visitors/viewers if they're not familiar and don't know to point/click! 

I'll look forward to trying the next version.

However, please, don't apologise for being 'late' - there's no obligation on you guys to respond on cue.  We 'users' are the ones who chew up your time, and hopefully appreciate it.

--
        Regards
        Ken

• Ken Robertson

Ken Robertson - 2006-02-02

G'day Juan Pedro,

Thanks for 0.97.

It took me a little while to work out what the 'panner' was, but eventually I found it, and it's neat (and useful!).

Yes the green link now works and relocates the target node to the centre screen.  Any chance you could move the node selection highlight with it?

Sorry, but I haven't been able to work out how to follow a graphical link.  I have a link which I can follow in FM and in the applet, but I can't sus out to follow it in the browser.  Must be old age...

--
        Regards
        Ken

• JuanPedro

JuanPedro - 2006-01-31

Hello all, just trying to improve the flash Browser. Added a panner option ( >=flash8 ) for the bigs mindmaps.

http://www.efectokiwano.net/mm/versions/visorFreemind_0.97.zip
      http://www.efectokiwano.net/mm/demos/bigOne.html

Juan Pedro.

• Stéphane HEUDE

Stéphane HEUDE - 2006-02-01

Hi Kenrob, sorry for my mistake i was a little tired, i was at Angouleme (comic festival last week) with Stan Sakai and i have a huge DMZ migration at work...

Grandiose !
      Juan i am a big fan of your work !
      Panner option is great, perhaps you should not show visited button if there is none mm map linked (like in bigOne, the V show nothing)
      About V button : it is not intuitive to double click to lauch a mm map, perhaps you should write it in the info
      About search button : perhaps you could show result like in visited button or panner option with color highlighting : it would allow several answers and a search that include notes and attributes (and sub map) that is really necessary to be useful.
      i am impatient to see V1
      i was in Linux Expo in Paris yesterday, and now there are a lot of professionals that use freemind with your flash browser, that is cool, and i am happy that my lobbying was not useless !
      Vive Freemind!

• RLB

RLB - 2006-02-03

Hello,

I am unable to create a node with a shadow.  I must be missing something obvious.  Any tips or solutions?

Thanks,
      RLB

• Philippe Coenen

Philippe Coenen - 2006-02-09

Hello Juan,

That's great what you did with this browser!...

I really want to use this browser instead of the java plugin.

I have little sugestions.

1) we should be able to say whitch node to center when the browser open the map.
      2) in a website I would like to be able to switch of all the buttons to keep only the map.

In my case the stacked view is not really usefull.

With my maps it seems that the behavior is quite erratic. I don't really see how to control the styles. Sometime I get beziers sometime linear.
      Sometime shadows apear sometime not.

And I don'tknow how to control variable thikness for edges.

Mabye it's because I don'tknow freemind ineough.

Anyway it's really nice to see your job. I want to use it as soon as possible.

Is there any source available to admire?

• Philippe Coenen

Philippe Coenen - 2006-02-09

Hello Juan,

I'v install everything, it even work with jsp.
      But the ritch text deos not display correctly.
      For the rest(the eratic behavior) it was not because of the browser, this is because I've changed the default setup in Freemind (edge to linear and node to bubble). So some nodes had no style and some had. Now I change this so I can see the real style in freemind (not a defaul one) and the browser work well.

For RLB I think that the shadow apear when the color is not white. ex:rgb=255 255 254 will display a shadow I'm not sure if the node need to be a bubble...

But the ritch text stuff is a problem to me i really use it in my maps and I think many likes it too.

Do you think there is a viable solution for that?

Thanx,
      Phil

• JuanPedro

JuanPedro - 2006-02-09

Hello Phil, great you like it.
      I just saw you found when the shadow works,in fact you just need any color (white included) to be asigned to the node. You can turn the shadow on and off just selecting the option button (by default it is off).
      When you speak about rich stuff, you means html don´t you? The application just use the actual facilities of Flash for rendering Html, which are poor. :(
      About the facility for hidden the buttons I'll try to add an option for the next version.

Juan Pedro

• Philippe Coenen

Philippe Coenen - 2006-02-10

Hi Juan,

Yes It's great because the freemind brouser is quite havy.

And thank you for your precision about the color.
        I'v tried white color also (before you men,tion it) it was not woroking. I'l try angain today.

I will try to putthe browser in my website today.

What aboutthe positioning of the map?

As I said itwill be nice if it will be possible to center the map to a selected node.

We can use a special color or something else or a one of the icons or a special code in a node that you hide when you display.
        For example we can add a command in a node (that can open some ideas for scripting) letsay thatyou add something like <centernode> in the text of noed. Then the browser will center to this node and remove the <centernode> tag.

This way we will be able to center the map correctly and not always to the origine...

A "framemap" parameter will be welcome too...

this parameter will allow you to scale the map to the rectangle of the plugin.

you can provide an argument that will be the % of the map in the rectangle. 95 will frame the map to the rectangle of the plugin and let some space free.

This will make the use of your browser really nice. and will allow to put different map in a page or different view of a map in the same page too.

I don't know well flash programming right now but the fact that you did this job give me the desire to start and help you, if I can, for this very nice browser. (I write java, mel scripting for maya, 4D, msql, little c++)

What do you think?

• Paul McClellan

Paul McClellan - 2006-03-22

JuanPedro:"You can turn the shadow on and off just selecting the option button (by default it is off)."

Is there currently a variable which can be set so the map opens with shadows turned on?  If there is not a documentation project for this flash browser I would be happy to contribute work to create it if provided the raw information.

Paul

• JuanPedro

JuanPedro - 2006-03-29

Hello Paul, I'll insert this option in the next version, and also update the documentation that is very low at present.

thanks for your coments.
      Juan Pedro.

• Edo Frohlich

Edo Frohlich - 2006-03-29

hi Juan Pedro,
      Congratulation for the great work.

I want to publish something like a photoalbum made in Freemind in the web and I'm having following problems:
      1) the flashbrowser loads all the pictures inserted in the nodes at once. If you have a big Mindmap plenty with Photos it becomes very heavy for your application. Maybe it should load only the photos of the open nodes.
      2) There is a problem too, when you want to insert pictures that are in another web location. For Example if you want to have your pictures at flickr.com to save space (and traffic) in your server where you have your homepage and the browser. Freemind let you build Mindmaps like this, but when you look the mindmap with the flashbrowser the links appear to be broken.

3) A variable that may be usefull at the initial options is the default color of the arrows between nodes. The actual grey is hard to see.
      4) Another functionality that it could be set with a variable, is forcing the browser to close the nodes of the branchs you are not looking at. That way the map stays maneagable for people who are not familiar with mindmaps and are easy to navigate. There are some applications were you don't need or want that the user can look at various branchs at the same time.

Thanks again for the great work,

Saludos,

Eduardo F.

• Antonimo

Antonimo - 2006-05-02

Hi JP,

I have been using the FlashBrowser for a long time now. I think it is the best way to share maps for others to view. I love it.

1. Since up-grading to the latest visorFreemind.swf, links to web sites from the maps don't appear to work.

By replacing visorFreemind.swf with an older version, the links work again, although I obviously lose all of the extra new features of the newer version.

Is there a compatability or other issue that I am not aware of?

2. Is there a "fo.addVariable" that can be included to force a zoom level upon loading?

• Antonimo

Antonimo - 2006-05-02

By: Antonimo - quote: "links to web sites from the maps don't appear to work."

I have since uploaded the files to the server and it works fine. Links to external websites don't appear to work from local pages.

The same was true for me when I downloaded "freeMindFlashBrowser.zip" again from http://www.efectokiwano.net/mm/mindmaps.html and tried to follow an external link - nothing happened.

Perhaps this an issue with my computer only.

• Ken Robertson

Ken Robertson - 2006-05-03

G'day antonimo,

I don't understand what's happening, but Flash will prevent a locally accessed web page accessing Internet addresses.  (Locally accessed = accessed via the file system, not via a web server.)

. RT click on your locally hosted map
        . About Flash Player - don't click, just note the major version number.  Version 7 had weak security, version 8 is much more strict
        . click Settings, (wait while Macromedia's website loads to display your settings.)
        . click Global Security Settings Panel
        . click Edit locations / Add locations as appropriate for your locally executed swf
        . once your swf's location is added it'll be able to access websites OK.  If you scroll down that webpage it'll explaining the gory details.

--
        Regards
        Ken

• JHoffman

JHoffman - 2006-05-18

Hello,

could anyone please tell me:

What is the flash-browser?
      What can I do with it?
      How to use the flash-browser?
      How and where have the downloaded files to be installed?

Thanks
      Jeff

• Ken Robertson

Ken Robertson - 2006-05-19

G'day Jeff,
        Does this help?
        http://fb.stikipad.com
        --
        Regards
        Ken

• JHoffman

JHoffman - 2006-05-20

Thanks a lot Ken,

exactly what I was looking for.

Jeff

• André Ulrich

André Ulrich - 2006-05-24

Hej Ken, thanks a lot for your Flash Browser! It is feals really snappy and has all the tools needed for  browsing.

What I miss are further enhancements for the layout of the nodes, especially font-styling. It would be great, if rudimental stylings for fonts like size, color and format would be in place. Not the whole XHTML styling like original Freemind, but these and a linefeed (<br>) would be cool.

1 2 3 .. 7 > >> (Page 1 of 7)