SuperWaba Version of FreeMind

2004-11-07
2013-04-11
1 2 3 > >> (Page 1 of 3)
  • Vik Olliver

Vik Olliver - 2004-11-07

I've been working on a simplified version of FreeMind for PDAs, provisionally titled FreeMindPDA. To fit everything on a potentially very small screen I've developed it as a simple tree list using the FOSS SuperWaba TreeList library. Things like clouds and fonts are shown as members of the tree's node.

It's early days yet - can't save data, doesn't use Palm catalogs yet, doesn't understand icons or links etc. -  but I wondered if I should attempt to host it on this site and make it available for public ridicule? It builds under the FOSS SuperWaba 4.21b SDK or better (http://superwaba.sf.net), so should work on Palm, PocketPC, WinCE, Win32, Symbian and Linux, all off the same codebase.

Vik :v)

• Joseph Reagle

Joseph Reagle - 2004-11-08

I'd certainly welcome you making it available somewhere! :)

• Daniel Polansky

Daniel Polansky - 2004-11-08

Vik, we are certainly interested in that piece of code. For simplicity, I would suggest that you upload the file(s) to your public website, provided you have one. We will link to that file location from FreeMind's wiki. You will certainly get feedback from users on the wiki afterwards. Regards, Dan (FreeMind director)

• Vik Olliver

Vik Olliver - 2004-11-08

OK, I'll sanitise it and upload it to my site tomorrow. I just want to get the code to write a file out again. Last night I got it using SuperWaba's XML Parser properly, added a menu, and I can edit or delete a node. Things are so different on the PDA that it is a total rewrite.

• Vik Olliver

Vik Olliver - 2004-11-10

OK, I have started putting the PDA version up as a TGZ tarball for developers to play with if they want. It's at http://olliver.family.gen.nz/software/fm.tgz

It'll load and save a FreeMind file, display a collapsable tree, and allow some simple editing of the TEXT attribute, deleting, listing of attributes etc.

Early days, but ripe for development. If people want to work with me on this, I'll try to coordinate things.

• Daniel Polansky

Daniel Polansky - 2004-11-10

Thank you Vik. It is also good that you have added the link to your PDA FreeMind viewer/editor to

http://freemind.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Stuff

You can certainly take advantage of the wiki when informing users on news, features, bugs etc. Feel free to create a separate section in wiki, rather than just adding a single point in a list as you have done. Regards, Dan

• Vik Olliver

Vik Olliver - 2004-11-10

I've tried adding a FreeMindPDA section linked off Stuff, but although I've uploaded the screenshot, I don't seem to be able to make it appear in the page. Could you or some other Wiki-savvy person have a quick look at it for me?

The page is:

http://freemind.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/FreeMindPDA#FreeMindPDA

The image is:
            fmpdascreenshot.png

I've also created the user VikOlliver in order to upload the image, but now seem unable to login as that user is not recognised. Have I rattled something lose?

• Vik Olliver

Vik Olliver - 2004-11-11

For those interested, it now allows any attribute of a node to be edited, and child nodes to be inserted. As long as you only want to write a file called "output.mm" and can survive the deluge of debug trace, it is now just about usable :)

Is there a nice way to add a tickbox to a FreeMind node? If so, I can soon start using this package in earnest to replace my ToDo lists on the PDA.

• Vik Olliver

Vik Olliver - 2004-11-16

Now it actually runs on the PDA (Palm or PocketPC) instead of just a test environment.

http://olliver.family.gen.nz/software/fm.tgz

Fixed creation of child nodes with TEXT attributes.
      Added "Save" item to menu to save over the last opened file.
      Added LINK icon.
      Took out unsupported "split" method and replaced it with homegrown version.
      Can select which file to load from current directory.
      Added simple icon files for home and a tick.
      Changed Tree and node code to accept multiple user icons.
      Put "Home" icon next to [Map] entry (mostly to try out the above).

• Vik Olliver

Vik Olliver - 2004-11-18

For those following this, you can now create new maps and save maps with your choice of filename. I've put a normal/extended edit function in too.

Anyone got feedback on it for me?

• Joseph Reagle

Joseph Reagle - 2004-11-30

I don't check the forums that often, but I did check one version and realized I had to have a bunch of dev libraries and such. I'm keeping an eye out for when a simple prc/pdb file appears...?

• Vik Olliver

Vik Olliver - 2004-11-30

For what platform?

The FreeMind.pdb and FreeMind.prc files are already built and reside in the "build" directory ready for Palm users to install. PocketPC users will have to find the appropriate EXE stub as well, located in one of the build/Exe subdirectories. Then they put it in the /SuperWaba/FreeMind directory and all is sweetness and light.

Well, near enough :)

• Vik Olliver

Vik Olliver - 2004-11-19

Current version now supports sibling and child node creation, editing a new node is automatic, you can cancel the creation of a node cleanly, and there's now a pretty splash screen featuring a combination of the butterfly logo and the logo off the main page.

Feedback ssems to be in short supply though.

• Vik Olliver

Vik Olliver - 2004-11-25

We can now display some of the apropriate icons, and an "icon" node is no longer shown on the screen. Supporting all icons is just a question of adding new entries to the scaled icon class now. Maps are automatically saved on exit.

We're a lot faster as much of the debug code has been stripped out, and the infrequent null pointer bug on startup has been found and shot.

Try it:

http://olliver.family.gen.nz/software/fm.tgz

You'll also need SuperWaba from http://www.superwaba.com

Not far to go until 0.01 now!

• Anonymous - 2004-11-26

Hi,

as an exhausted FreeMind user I tried also your PDA version.

But I start the FreeMindPDA and want to edit somthing, I get the following message:

Uncaught Exception
      java/lang/NullPointerException

And after that FreeMindPDA is closed automatically. :-(

Kind regards,

Janina

• Vik Olliver

Vik Olliver - 2004-11-28

Darn. I thought I fixed that on 22nd Nov. What were you running it on? At the moment I'm running it under Java on PCs and Palm devices with SD cards. I've not got a PocketPC right now but a friend is testing it on Monday. Hopefully I'll be able to build a CAB file for PocketPC users, and a Nutshell for Palm users.

What is the date of the nost recent entry in the README file from the tarball? Maybe you've got an old one.

In case you've not done so, please copy Test.mm into the same directory as the FreeMind.pdb file, or onto the root of the SD card on Palms.

You should find a debug log in the directory on PocketPCs and a SuperWaba Debug memo on Palms. I'd appreciate it if you could send me this file.

Please bear with me - this is first contact with the real world!

• Anonymous - 2004-11-29

okay and for the real world here is the real message and the key points of my PDA:

SuperWaba Debug Console
          001070 Error opening source file.
          018110 Stack trace:
          018110 FreeMindPDA.onEvent(Lwaba/ui/Event;)V
          018110 waba/ui/Control.postEvent(Lwaba/ui/Event;)V
          018110 waba/ui/Button.onEvent(Lwaba/ui/Event;)V
          018110 waba/ui/Control.postEvent(Lwaba/ui/Event;)V
          018120 waba/ui/Window._postEvent(IIIIII)V
          018120 ---------------------------------
          018120 SuperWaba VM Fatal Error
          018130 An error was found in the program
          018130 being run by the SuperWaba VM.
          018130 Error:
          018130 Uncaught exception
          018130 java/lang/NullPointerException
          018140 Please notify the program's author.
          018140 See debug memo for more details.
          024770 ======= End =======

I get a Palm Tungsten E, firmware 4.5.1p

Unfortunately it does not work until now :-(

Best regards, Janina

• Vik Olliver

Vik Olliver - 2004-11-29

Should be good to go now. If it still doesn't work, copy Test.mm onto the root directory of your SD memory card and try again.

I have also added the capability of moving items around the heirachy, so it is a lot more usable.

Just catalog support for Palms and copy/paste to go and I'll be able to call it the first alpha release. That's still a fair bit of work though.

• Vik Olliver

Vik Olliver - 2004-11-28

I've just put up an updated version for PocketPC users. Note that you will need SuperWaba 4.5a or greater - it's faster than its predecessors anyway.

Thanks to all who have contributed feedback since my last request - we're moving along nicely now. It's harder to crash by doing things like creating children of the root, or when no root has been created or loaded.

The one nasty is that the [map] node must be visible when the file is saved, which is next on my list.

• Vik Olliver

Vik Olliver - 2004-11-29

OK, fixed the collapsed root node problem. Should be fine now.

Next up: Adding new icons to nodes. Better get some "real work" done first though :)

• Vik Olliver

Vik Olliver - 2004-11-29

Well that wasn't too hard, even taking into account some real work and a false fire alarm. You can now add and remove icons from the edit screen.

• Anonymous - 2004-11-30

Hi Vik,

I deinstalled the whole FreeMindPDA stuff and installed the newest version of it and get the following error message:

SuperWaba Debug Console
      001700 Error opening source file.
      009460 Stack trace:
      009460 FreeMindPDA.newMap()V
      009460 FreeMindPDA.onEvent(Lwaba/ui/Event;)V
      009460 waba/ui/Control.postEvent(Lwaba/ui/Event;)V
      009460 waba/ui/Window.unpop()V
      009460 waba/ui/MenuBar.close()V
      009460 waba/ui/MenuBar.onEvent(Lwaba/ui/Event;)V
      009460 waba/ui/Control.postEvent(Lwaba/ui/Event;)V
      009470 waba/ui/Window.unpop()V
      009470 waba/ui/PopupMenu.onEvent(Lwaba/ui/Event;)V
      009470 waba/ui/Control.postEvent(Lwaba/ui/Event;)V
      009470 waba/ui/Window._postEvent(IIIIII)V
      009470 waba/ui/Window._postEvent(IIIIII)V
      009470 ---------------------------------
      009480 SuperWaba VM Fatal Error
      009480 An error was found in the program
      009480 being run by the SuperWaba VM.
      009480 Error:
      009480 Uncaught exception
      009490 java/lang/RuntimeException
      009490 Can't find class superwaba/ext/xplat/xml/AttributeList
      009490 Check if the application's .PDB
      009490 and/or a required library (E.G.
      009490 XPlatIoUiUtil.pdb or other)
      009500 are correctly installed.
      009500 See debug memo for more details.
      017830 ======= End =======

what's wrong? SuperWaba or FreeMindPDA?

Have a nice day, Janina

• Vik Olliver

Vik Olliver - 2004-11-30

I think you need to copy all the files from the /SuperWabaSDK/lib/xplat/ directory into the PDA. If it's a PocketPC, they go into the /SuperWaba directory. It's probably only after Xplat*XML.pdb but safest to copy all of them if you have the space.

I'll add this to the README

• Faber Fedor

Faber Fedor - 2004-12-09

Can someone tell me where to find this file?  I can't resolve olliver.family.gen.nz. :-(

• makingmark

makingmark - 2004-12-13

(SW = SuperWaba)

1.  Alphasmart Dana Wireless
      Works very well (within the currently limited functions of course).  Am able to load not only the Test.mm, but my own, much larger maps .  Bravo!

2.  Samsung SPH-I500
      Get the splash screen but then a Fatal Alert:  SystemMgr.c, Line:185, Unimplemented.  Have seen this on other pre-release software.  Generally have no problems running Palm software on this phone (it's OS4) and the SuperWaba Virtual Machine loads fine.

1 2 3 > >> (Page 1 of 3)

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks