Freemind for Android -- tablet/pad version

Bakkun
2010-07-07
2014-12-21
  • Bakkun

Bakkun - 2010-07-07

Is there anyone working on a version of freemind as an Android app? If not I'd like to work on a version of freemind for Android, specifically for a  tablet/pad used for educational purposes. I'm new to freemind, so it'd be great if someone can point me to the right direction. Thanks.

• DizzyC

DizzyC - 2010-07-08

Love this application! And i subscribe, please port this application for android phones. As far as i know android apps are (can be) written in Java and since FreeMind is written in Java maybe it is not such a big Step.
    Anyways I'd LOVE to be able to take my mindmaps with me on my phone!!

There is a temporary solution to this problem. There is a Mindmapping application for Android called Thinking Space. It looks great and works OK. It does not have all the features of FreeMind, but it is usable. It also generates .mm files and i can open them with Freemind. I lose all the formatting but the information is there. Promblem is that Freemind says it is an old format of mm file. It converts it and I cannot open it on my Android phone again. If there was a possibillity to use the same map on my phone and PC it would be great. I use Freemind for task management aswell so i need to be able to get to the information while I'm mobile.

• Bakkun

Bakkun - 2010-07-08

Thanks for the info, Thinking Space is a pretty good app, though I don't think it's open source like FreeMind. I've tried to contact the developer. We'll see what comes of that.

• Bakkun

Bakkun - 2010-07-08

Update -- Charlie said that he currently has no plan to Open Source Thinking Space, but noted that the android heap size is only 16MB big (24 MB for high density devices) which may be an issue.

• fla

fla - 2010-07-14

I think this is a great idea.
    I would love to have FreeMind on my Cell Phone.
    is there any one that has developed it for Symbian, Android or iphone?

• Helge Stenström

For development of alternative applications using the FreeMind file format, it would be good with a file validator. Is there such a thing available? Is there an exact definition written, on the file format for FreeMind?

• aaronramsey

aaronramsey - 2011-05-24

I am also using android pad tablet and its working great and love to use this application.  There were lots of us all excited about the prospects of tablets running Android.

android pad tablet

• leahpette

leahpette - 2011-11-03

GameStop's Android tablet has stiff gaming competition in the iPad.Video game retailer GameStop is preparing to surf the mobile system wave this year, reports the Wall Street Journal. The shop has been selling the iPhone and iPad for a couple of months, and now GameStop will fill the gap by providing Android tablets. Each Android tablet will be gaming enhanced, and consist of many popular games. Here is the proof: GameStop to offer Android gaming tablet for the holidays< .FreeMind file format for this tablet will be a big help in using the android applications easy.

• leahpette

leahpette - 2011-11-03

GameStop's Android tablet has stiff gaming competition in the iPad.Video game retailer GameStop is preparing to surf the mobile system wave this year, reports the Wall Street Journal. The shop has been selling the iPhone and iPad for a couple of months, and now GameStop will fill the gap by providing Android tablets. Each Android tablet will be gaming enhanced, and consist of many popular games. Here is the proof: GameStop to offer Android gaming tablet for the holidays .FreeMind file format for this tablet will be a big help in using the android applications easy.

• Jim Budet

Jim Budet - 2012-01-20

Since it's relevant to this discussion, I'd like to mention the FreeMind compatible iOS app, MinDgo.

MinDgo is a free app for the iPhone and iPod Touch that provides basic FreeMind functionality, file format compatibility as well as Dropbox support. You're invited to learn more about it from the product website or the iTunes App store.

http://www.code-story.com/

The current version of MinDgo is non-graphical, instead utilizing table views to hierarchically represent the structure of a mind map. A graphical version of MinDgo targeted for the iPad is being strongly considered. An Android version less so.

• Anonymous - 2012-02-02

I would also like to see the (awesome) FeeMind project jump in to the Android space. Would it not be great to have FreeMind and Dropbox integrated so you could scribble your ideas on the go and it would sync up, jump over to the laptop and pickup where you left.

Initially a solution where you just save an .mm locally on your phone could work, but the above solution would just be more beautiful and complete.

I would gladly sign up for bug-hunting in the mobile arena, as i have access to android tablets with different screen sizes, and off course my Android phone.

• Johnpush

Johnpush - 2012-02-08

My android tablets seems to be wiping and re-wiping itself now. The welcome screen keeps recurring and my apps are being deleted. I don't plug this into a PC at all. I just charge it up.

• lindazbn

lindazbn - 2012-02-13

H.P. told me how many apps it had on Day 1 of its tablet, too: 300. That’s not many, but the TouchPad product manager pointed out that it was already more than Android tablet had on their Day 1. (Can’t the TouchPad also run the 8,000 apps available for the Palm Pre, since it supposedly runs the same WebOS operating system? Unfortunately, only about 70 percent of them work on the tablet — and you can’t blow up that small image to fill the tablet’s larger screen, as you can on iPad and Android tablets.)

• Roger

Roger - 2012-07-24

Is a freemind app for android still being worked on or is it available?  If it's available, what is it called?

• Salvador Maine

Salvador Maine - 2012-11-17

I've just discovered the filter and attribute features. This give HUGE possibilities for using Free Mind as task and project manager.

Working with the whole map on a phone can be difficult but I'm thinking that  an app showing just the nodes in a list fashion with the possibility of using filters would be fantastic.

Do you know if there is something similar done?

• argumon

argumon - 2013-01-14

As Thinking Space is bought by MindJet and they messed up this fine app to become just a front-end to their expensive online service:

could'nt anyone start up a kickstarter project and if enough money is collected just write a freemind port for Android? Hey, this should be a real business case

• fla

fla - 2013-01-17

I have find (and founded) these guys project that seems to work: look for www.wisemapping.com, they have done quite a good job, and are almost there: based on freemap…I helped them, I hope other can join so they can build something even better…

• Del Simmons

Del Simmons - 2013-01-17

I know some people here aren't big fans of MindJet, but I just thought I'd mention that they do have a feee Android app that has some value. It also imports and exports files with FreeMind pretty well. I use DropBox to get my .mm files between my PC and Android phone. I use Mindjet on the phone and FreeMind on the PC..

Hope this is helpful! I haven't done this in about 6 months so hopefully none of the recent changed MindJet has made have caused it to no longer be useful.

• cristis1

cristis1 - 2014-05-19

Hello,

We have started to develop something that might be interesting for people interested in editing FreeMind mind maps on mobile. I.e. collaborative editing of mind maps from the web browser and from mobile (Android for now, and iOS later).

The link to our first release: http://flower-platform.org/blog/2014/05/15/flower-platform-4-v0.1.0-share-and-collaborate-on-freeplane-mind-maps-from-web-and-mobile/

From the technical perspective: it's about a Flower Platform extension, that leverages for the moment the Freeplane backend (Freeplane is a FreeMind fork). As the .mm files from FreeMind are compatible (at least in theory) with the .mm ones from Freeplane, you could try to see how it works with your files.

NOTE 1: as I said, for the moment we use Freeplane as backend. But, we designed the application in such a way, so that another backend can be used. We are thinking of course of the FreeMind backend. We'll do this if people want.

NOTE 2: the mobile application works "online"; i.e. it connects to a Flower Platform server that does the logic (i.e. dealing with Freeplane/FreeMind mind maps). It would be possible to make the mobile app completely off-line (for Android for sure, by using an embeded JVM; iOS: I don't know). Again, if people will ask, we'll try to do it.

Please let me know what you think!

Best regards,
    Cristian.

• Don Edwards

Don Edwards - 2014-05-26

Everything I want to do with mind-mapping software must be doable without a working internet connection.

(Fortunately I have no interest in collaborative editing, and I already have file-syncing in place.)

• Don Edwards

Don Edwards - 2014-05-26

FYI, MindJet has gone to a subscription model. The app is free, but when you do a new installation of it (e.g. because you got a new phone or tablet) you can't use it if you don't have a current (paid) subscription to their site.

• tomt

tomt - 2014-08-05

Hi there,

I am working on an open-source Mindmapping app. It opens, edites and saves mm-files without breaking functionality. But it's still in alpha-state. If you want to learn more about it or if you want to test it:

https://bitbucket.org/tomthe/mindbike-mindmapping

Kind regards,
    tomt

• Fil

Fil - 2014-11-19

Hi,
    first of all thanks for the awesome app which I've ben using intensively for a couple of years already!
    I used to have an iPhone and used iThoughts and have tried all available android apps but none of them provided what I wanted until now.
    As Don Edwards wrote, I also need to have all info offline on my mobile devices and would also like to be able to use owncloud to sync the maps. As I also use freemind for business purposes, Dropbox et al are not an option as I'd like to keep my thoughts for me and not give them to NSA etc :-) If owncloud sync is not available in the app then it's not a deaal-breaker as I can easily sync into my owncloud instance.
    I've installed mindbike and will report on my findings later. Should I do this here or on the website from tomt above?
    Cheers

Fil

• Fil

Fil - 2014-12-21

Sorry it took so long but I finally got around to looking at Mindbike in some more detail.
    I have to say that I like the way the software is going and hope that development continues. The interface is easy to use and most functions are pretty intuitive for me.
    I only have 2 small issues which would make it even better:
    1. it'd be really nice to be able to add a standard directory when files are to be searched for first (Settings?).
    2. Maybe it would be possible/desirable to place the map in the centre of the screen as per freemind? Maybe it's just me but it feels more natural than having it squidged over to the top left hand corner...

Thanks for a great piece of software which has really helped me out as I didn't want to import/export from my freehand files all the while and do not want my maps on someone else's server!

Cheers
    Fil

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

JavaScript is required for this form.

No, thanks