Stuck with linking errors with static library on visual studio 2010

Help
JohanJ
2013-04-23
2014-01-26
  • JohanJ

JohanJ - 2013-04-23

As topic name says, it simply refuses to link properly when using the static library on vs2010.

error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _FreeImage_Initialise referenced in function.....

I've tried converting the "FreeImageLib.2008" to VS2010 and building it myself, but it dosn't work either. It builds just fine, but when I link from another project I get the same blasted linker errors.

I've checked pretty much all the project properties to make sure they all run with /MTd, etc and it all seems fine. Of course the "FREEIMAGE_LIB" preprocessor is defined so in theory from looking at the freeimage.h, it SHOULD work but it simply dosn't.

Can anyone enlighten me to what is causing it to refuse to static linking with vs2010? Was the library simply not MEANT to be used as a static library or what?

Last edit: JohanJ 2013-04-23
  • retinex

retinex - 2014-01-26

I can also confirm this issue. After struggling with this problem for a couple of days, I noticed that the VS2010 actually disabled the function of project dependencies and changed it to References.

For example, you have a Project A which is dependent on Project B. In context menu of Project A, You choose References, then add new project reference, and set the item of Link library dependencies to true. I wish this could be helpful.

A detailed discussion can be find in : http://blogs.msdn.com/b/vcblog/archive/2010/05/03/flexible-project-to-project-references.aspx