Menu

Crash recovery

Help
2013-11-02
2022-11-01
  • Tony Starratt

Tony Starratt - 2013-11-02

I love FreeGuide, truly I do, but I really want to resort to swear words when, once again, it has crashed, losing my channel sets, my formatting, and, once again, my favourites. I have lots and lots of favourites, and I really don't want to enter them yet again. Is there any way to recover without that tedium?

• Colourqueen

Colourqueen - 2022-10-25

Does anyone have an answer to this question? I have lost my channel sets and favourites again today. I cannot track down where they are stored in order to make a backup.

• Andy Balaam

Andy Balaam - 2022-10-30

Hi Colourqueen. Really sorry to hear you lost your stuff multiple times, and also that Tony did.

Are you using Windows? If so, the information is stored in the Windows Registry, which may explain why it is getting lost, since Windows does seem to corrupt the registry from time to time :-(

I don't really work on FreeGuide any more, but if anyone wanted to update it to save in simple files (like it already does on Windows) I would gratefully accept the changes!

• Colourqueen

Colourqueen - 2022-10-30

Thanks Andy. I am using Windows 11 and it is great that Freeguide still works with it. I have searched through the registry and have found a few entries for Freeguide but nothing that obviously holds either the Favourites or Channel Sets. Can you point me in the direction of which key it is and then I can export and re-import if it happens again.

I would love if someone could update the program to save the settings into a config file or similar. I would offer but it is years since I did any programming and certainly not in Java.

• Colourqueen

Colourqueen - 2022-10-31

Thanks so much. I have found them at

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JavaSoft\Prefs\org\freeguide-tv
    with the channel sets in
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JavaSoft\Prefs\org\freeguide-tv\main/Controller
    and the Favourites (spelt the correct uk way!) in
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JavaSoft\Prefs\org\freeguide-tv\modules\reminder-alarm

I can at least export the key and save it. Maybe one day I will tackle the code!

I appreciate your help.

• Andy Balaam

Andy Balaam - 2022-11-01

Really glad to hear you found them!