Include new nations like Italy and Belgium.

tom law
2011-06-25
2014-12-23
  • tom law

tom law - 2011-06-25

Since the game starts in the 1490s.Italy and Belgium were not even colonial powers yet.But hey,you can preplan and make your own history right? ;) After all,Russia and Denmark are also selectable(if you set them to available) even though they weren't even colonial powers yet right?

• Michael Vehrs

Michael Vehrs - 2011-06-26

You can easily add additional nations to the specification.

• tom law

tom law - 2011-06-26

True.But it would feel odd choosing Portugal and then renaming it Italy but keep on having the Portuguese symbol keep on appearing and then have to see the picture of the Portuguese king everytime the crown interferes

• tom law

tom law - 2011-06-26

Well,for more variation,Italy and Belgium should also be added.Since Russia which was more known as a land empire with only Alaska in the New Word( and a few other not very well known places can) be added I don't see why Italy can't be added. :)
    Although I do admit they never really had much colonies until maybe the 19th century.

• Leon Baradat

Leon Baradat - 2011-06-28

Italy and Belgium?  What's next, Navarre?  (Who'm I kidding? Someone's probably already argued for that already.)

In my estimation, the countries selectable by default should be limited to actual colonial powers in period.  Russia doesn't belong since it didn't reach Alaska until near the end of the game (1733).  Denmark is a good idea, though, since it colonized what's now the US Virgin Islands. 

Portugal and Sweden also belong, of course. 

Two other good-if marginal-candidates are Scotland (which colonized Nova Scotia, and later New Caledonia in Panama, when it was still technically independent), and Courland (a German territory then owing fealty to Poland, which colonized Tobago from 1654-1659).

• tom law

tom law - 2011-06-30

Come to think of it,yeah Russia doesn't belong there.I only suggested Italy and Belgium because Russia was there.So I should retract my suggestion.Where's the delete button? :)

• Greenknight32

Greenknight32 - 2011-07-06

Italy and Belgium didn't even exist as unified countries then - Belgium was created after the Napoleonic Wars, and Italy wasn't unified until 1861.

Some of the Italian city-states could have established colonies in the New World - but they didn't. They would come closer to making sense, at least. Genoa, anyone?

• Leon Baradat

Leon Baradat - 2011-07-06

However, I could kind of see the allure to including Russia as a player who comes in from the east-that kind of wildcard player might make the game more interesting.  And, though it was late in period, Russia was at least a historical colonial power in the Americas.

But Belgium an Italy not only weren't colonial powers in the Americas, but they didn't even exist until after the game's period.  Belgium declared independence from the Netherlands in 1830, and Italy wasn't unified until around 1871.

• Leon Baradat

Leon Baradat - 2011-07-06

D'oh!  I should've checked for updates since my last posting.  Sorry!

• Joe Hill

Joe Hill - 2011-07-15

Just completely throwing this out there for counterfactual fun, how about:

China: had the technology to reach the Americas & maybe even did… have them enter from the east and gain some kind of Civ-style bonus
    Japan: See above
    Polynesians: See above
    Ottoman Empire: As above, but from the west
    Arabs: And again
    Germany: and again…

All could concievably have taken part in the discovery/colonization of the Americas, but didn't for various political/historic reasons.

Alternatively (and I'm sure this has been suggested elsewhere) make some/all of the native tribes playable.

• Misiulo

Misiulo - 2011-07-25

Germany…? are You sure You didn't mean Holy Roman Empire? And what's that about the technology, why even mention it, wasn't it already widely available it the times of Columbus? I mean Civ is another thing, but Col is lineary in this respect.

Adding Italy ana Belgium would make sense IF, we included timeframe of XIX century. Same with Germany. Perhaps the proponent of this idea meant some kind of scenario.

• Greenknight32

Greenknight32 - 2011-07-26

I still like the idea of Genoa…Columbus actually came from Genoa, but he failed to convince the merchants there that his proposed voyage was worth risking money on. If he'd been a little more persuasive, or some of them had been a bit more adventurous, history could have been very different.

• Michael Vehrs

Michael Vehrs - 2011-07-27

As I already said, you can easily add new nations to the specification yourself. I am not talking about renaming an existing nation. You can add your own, including crest, anthem, monarch, default colour and so on.

• Misiulo

Misiulo - 2011-07-27

How many nations can FreeCol support at the moment? Does nation become a new nation when it decleares independence?

• Jay

Jay - 2012-05-19

@burschik:As I already said, you can easily add new nations to the specification yourself
    Cool.

Is there already a database or wiki with other people's creations? If there is, but it hasn't been developed much, could there be more prominent mention and links in the game manual or freecol home page?

I, for one, would love lists of fairly accurate and immersive details about the surviving Free Norse in Groenland, the Venetian Republic and Byzantine Empire's territories in the Caribbean, and the Ming rebels camped out in California duking it out with Manchu forces from back home.

That said, it was hilarious that OP's idea specifically chose two countries that didn't exist until well after the game ends. ^_^

• Jay

Jay - 2012-05-19

@misiulo: are You sure You didn't mean Holy Roman Empire?
    Nah, the HRE wasn't so much a government. But you could easily have the port states like Hamburg or Austria setting up their own little corners of the new world.

• Leon Baradat

Leon Baradat - 2012-12-14

izzieliu, the Norse in Greenland died out shortly after 1408.  The settlements in Greenland had been in steady decline for some time by then, because the weather was becoming completely unsuitable for people leading their way of life.  Not only had Greenland been uninhabited by the Norse for almost a century when the game starts, but it's unlikely a late Greenlandic settlement could support large-scale colonization of the Americas like the other powers in the game.

But hey, we have Scandinavian powers now-Sweden and Denmark!  That's pretty close, isn't it?

• Gabriel Bonatto Roani

Italy and Belgium did not exist in 1492 and the other colonial powers to be added should be the holy roman empire and the The most serene Republic of Venice

Last edit: Gabriel Bonatto Roani 2013-01-12
    • nicoo

nicoo - 2013-01-17

Italy and Belgium did not exist in 1492

actually dutch neither (in 1492 most territories of the dutchs were split in small states as pieces of HRE)

the HRE (holy roman empire) wasn't a state, it was a big mess. However I read that Venezuela was ruled by an Holy Roman Emperor for few years...

I think you should not forget this is a game, not a simulation. So you can add all nations you want, even the martians...

about Venice, I wonder why they didn't try to get a piece of america, Same for Genova. After all Colombus didn't come from Genova ?

Anyway, today I don't think adding tons nations = adding tons of fun. I did it, I up to 20 nations, I didn't added belgium (not totally sure) or martians(i'm sure for dats one), I added nations like scotland, brittany, poland... you know AI isn't strong enough so adding tons of nations is just boring and more CPU time consuming.

• Gabriel Bonatto Roani

Considering this fact, I guess there's no problem in adding Venice, Genova, Holy Roman Empire or even Italy and Dutch, because you can choose the nations before the game start!

• Anro

Anro - 2013-05-18

EHEEEMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!! ... there is australia and africa too :L not only america :D

• Anro

Anro - 2013-05-18

btw how add new nations XD

• Leon Baradat

Leon Baradat - 2013-09-20

Well, shiver me timbers, I missed something. German colonization of the Americas wasn't limited to just Courland. Augsburg also did some messing around in what's now Venezuela (probably the venture that begre1929 read about), and Brandenburg had a tiny presence. What I'm thinking is maybe, rather than Courland, we could do some sort of German combination, using names etc. from the three powers' colonial ventures. (I still think Scotland would be a better addition to Freecol though!)

• Augsburg (1528-46): part of the Holy Roman Empire; one of its prominent families received permission from the Emperor (who was also King of Spain) to colonize Venezuela--though this venture was really about finding El Dorado, not founding long-term colonies.
    • Courland (1654-59): a vassal of Poland-Lithuania, which did attempt serious colonization, but never had the resources to really back it up.
    • Brandenburg (1685-93): part of the Kingdom of Prussia, it leased a trading post on St. Thomas from the Danish West India-Guinea Company, which was later summarily seized by the Danes.

• Marco

Marco - 2014-12-23

I have posted beacause Venice and Genoa! But this was are a marinare republic, and could also colonize but to historical factors (or by the will of their leaders) did not wanted / could colonize!

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks