Depleated Mine

FreeCol
Misiulo
2010-06-12
2014-05-03
  • Misiulo

Misiulo - 2010-06-12

While working on the graphics I found, that Freecol has no picture for depleated Siver mine. What happens wen you depleat a silver mine, then?

• Michael Vehrs

Michael Vehrs - 2010-06-12

The feature hasn't been implemented yet.

• Phil Grant

Phil Grant - 2010-06-12

I actually had a silver mine become depleted in one (or more) game(s). The silver mine tile reverted to the default mountain tile, and a corresponding message appeared in the turn report.

• DuKe2112

DuKe2112 - 2010-06-14

phillyg, you are talking about using up a bonus resource. But I think misiulo talks about completely exhausting the tile so you can't get any silver from that mountain anymore.

That could maybe be implemented through a "bonus" with negative value, making it a malus.

• Misiulo

Misiulo - 2010-06-17

I meant the resource. Silver to my knowledge is the only resource in the game that which can half used up*. When this happens, the picture of the resource is replaced by another, significantly smaller one, and output of an expert Silver miner working on the square is cut in half, so if he provided 8 units before now it's 4. Further mining will exhaust the resource completely, leaving only bare mountain (which can still provide some silver).

The Minerals get exhaused completely the first time. I know nothing about exhausting a normal non-resource sqare being even possible at all.

*Existance of resources of different value is another interesting idea to with FreeCol 2 in mind.

• Michael Vehrs

Michael Vehrs - 2010-06-18

In FreeCol, most resources are infinite. Some resources, such as silver, for example, are finite. The number of goods that they proivde is randomized. If they are used up, they disappear. However, we have not yet implemented half-used-up resources. On the other hand, it would not be particularly difficult to do this.

• OzarM

OzarM - 2014-05-03

Is it possible to disable the exhaustion of resources in the .xml file? If so, how? And which are exhaustible by default?
    EDIT
    And this is probably a longshot, but is there a way to put them -back- in a game in progress? I took a shot at editing out the Min/max lines referring to Ore, Silver and Minerals in the .xml, but the resources still disappeared on cue, which may be part of the save game. Since I don't know how to edit the save game rules.. shrug

And of course I already tried editing it with the map editor, but then I get the "The game has already been started!" message.

Last edit: OzarM 2014-05-03

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks