fwJPEG advantages over libjpeg?

• Nobody/Anonymous

Just what are exacly fwJPEG advantages over libjpeg?

Anonymous CVS Access:

cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@libjpeg.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/libjpeg login

cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@libjpeg.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/libjpeg co -P modulename

• txbrent

txbrent - 2008-02-22

fwJPEG contains low level routines that can be used to create a JPEG encoder or decoder such as libjpeg. Check out the APL sample application here:

It provides an implementation of IJG optimized with APL.

• Nobody/Anonymous

The link is broken. Is that code still available somewhere else?

• Nobody/Anonymous

That sounds interesting. Have you considered releasing a standard tarball with the APL
      optimized libjpeg usable as a shared library plugin for standard libjpeg?

• txbrent

txbrent - 2008-02-25

No we hadn't considered that. I hope we can work that into our development - or find a volunteer to help = )

Thanks for the input!

• Tremblay Simon

Tremblay Simon - 2009-09-25

It looks like everything related to APL and JPEG have been deleted.  If someone has something workable, it would be great to share it!

• Nobody/Anonymous

In my opinion and experience, fwJPEG is designed for AMD processors, even then libjpeg gives you a better result in terms of performance and accuracy in all processors irespective of the codepath and processor.

• Tremblay Simon

Tremblay Simon - 2009-09-30

In a project, I've compared IPP versus libjepg, and I've got a 50% increase of performance on an ARM processor.
    Maybe you are right for fwJPEG, but there is no sample to test before coding deeper with the library.

• Nobody/Anonymous

Update: We were using an older version of libjpeg.  Version 7 seems to be as fast as IPP.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks