Menu

Is there a directory compare / sync feature?

Antartica
2011-01-11
2013-02-05
  • Antartica

Antartica - 2011-01-11

Is 4Pane a semi-miracle or a miracle? As soon as I hear of this utility, the first feature I checked is whether it has the directory comparison feature. When two folders are displayed side by side, one day, you will run into a scenario where you would want to make a comparison and sync directory content.

This is what FreeCommander do for Windows. I have skimmed the online manual of 4Pane and didn't see the compare / sync function. Can you please confirm? If there is not, di you plan to add it in the future?

• David Hart

David Hart - 2011-01-12

Hi,

I didn't use FreeCommander in my distant MSWindows days (perhaps it wasn't around then) but, looking at its site, I think you're talking about the sort of thing that I'd do using 'rsync -au' or similar.

No, I'm afraid 4Pane doesn't do that, and it's not something that I consider a file manager should do (I realise different opinions may exist ;). I was about to suggest that you try using rsync inside 4Pane, adding it as a User-defined Tool. However it won't work properly atm, as it's only possible to pass to a tool 2 selected files not directories. I'll add that ability to the next release.

Meanwhile, you could open 4Pane's terminal emulator, type 'rsync -avu', then drag the source and the destination dirs into the terminal while pressing Sh-Ctrl (to paste their full paths). This isn't as convenient as a full rsync gui frontend (which I think do exist) but you may prefer it to the command-line.

So it seems you'll need to reduce 4Pane's miracle status to at best 'semi'. I hope you'll find it useful in other ways, though.

Thanks for the link to the ubuntugeek page, btw.

Regards,

David

• David Hart

David Hart - 2011-01-31

In case you're still watching, svn now has a fix that lets rsync work in this way. I've also used it as an example in the manual, in the 'Configuring User-defined Tools' section.