Menu

Change default iconset

YIZ
2021-09-21
2021-09-22
  • YIZ

YIZ - 2021-09-21
    Hellow! Is there a way to change the default iconset? The default icons for file navigation pane items often do not match a selected system's theme and don't reflect file types. The example of disired icon view is e.g. nautilus

-- WBR Yuri.

• David Hart

David Hart - 2021-09-21

Hi,

4Pane can use either the system icons, or its own. IIRC it uses the system ones by default, but you can see and change this in Options > Configure 4Pane > The Display > Misc: 'Whenever possible, use stock icons. See also https://www.4pane.co.uk/manual/ConfiguringDisplay.htm

If that setting is already ticked, it might be worth trying temporarily changing your system font and see if 4Pane changes with it.

Regards,

David

• YIZ

YIZ - 2021-09-22

The setting you mentioned affects toolbar icons only. What I desire is to see smarter file icons in file panes, see the screenshot (the same folder content in nautilus over 4Pane).

• David Hart

David Hart - 2021-09-22

Ah, I see what you mean. No, 4Pane intentionally doesn't do mime-types. From the FAQ:

Why doesn't 4Pane look up the mime-type of each file it displays?
    Speed. Opening my /usr/bin directory containing several thousand files used to take less than a second in 4Pane, compared with 15 seconds in Konqueror. Admittedly that was some time ago, and the difference is much less with a more modern computer. Nevertheless, why spend time and cpu cycles checking when you hardly ever need to know the answers?

Of course that was written a long time ago (probably 2008), and those 15 seconds would have been in 2003! Nevertheless it's not a feature that anyone else has requested and, for most files, the ext (.txt, .ods) already provides that information.
    For the exceptions, 4Pane 7.0 has a new feature: the third tab of a file's 'Properties' dialog (Alt-P) now has a field that shows the output of doing /usr/bin/file on the selected filepath.

• YIZ

YIZ - 2021-09-22

Thank you for the reply, the reasons are admittable :-) And thanks for the file manager too!