how to apply incremental patches

Help
Chris
2001-08-17
2012-09-14
  • Chris

Chris - 2001-08-17

Ladies and Gentlemen,
         I know how to apply a patch to the kernel source, but how do I apply the inc patches?  For example, I have the basic 2.4.8 source, the patch-2.4.7-folk2.2.2 file, and finally the patch-2.4.8-folk-inc-2.2.2-2.2.3 file.  I've been trying to apply the inc patch the original patch with no luck.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I have a dial up (standard connection: raging 21600) and it's much quicker to pull down an incremental patch.

Chris

• Dale E. Edmons

Dale E. Edmons - 2001-08-17

Hi,

I only discovered FOLK yesterday so I may be a little off-base on this.

First, the 2.4.7-folk2.2.2 looks as if it wants to be applied to the basic 2.4.7 source and not the basic 2.4.8 source.  If you're tracking the kernel sources as I have been recently, then use the 2.4.7 basic kernel.  Once this patch is in place you may apply the second patch.  I assume this patch takes one from kernel-2.4.7 + folk-2.2.2 to
      the new kernel-2.4.8 + folk-2.2.3.  Keyword here is *assume*.  (I'm doing my first cvs co as we speak.)

Let me know if this works; wait for FOLK folk to respond if it doesn't.  I'll be monitoring these forums in either case.

Dale E. Edmons
      dedmons@user.sourceforge.net

• Chris

Chris - 2001-08-19

Mr. Edmons,
             Thanks for the tip.  I've just tried this and it works.

Chris

• Jonathan Day

Jonathan Day - 2001-08-21

Yep, you're 100% right. I should have written better download docs. Many appologies, and I'm glad the information's now out there! Thanks!