Welcome to Open Discussion

2001-10-24
2002-03-26
  • Nobody/Anonymous

Welcome to Open Discussion

• halim

halim - 2002-03-23

Hi.
      I am new to all of this. I just started using the FOA and have some comments.
      before using FOA, i used XML Spy to design XSLT style sheets, and it was very easy to build the style sheet, by drag and drop. the work flow is very intuitive, and it does not take long to understand what is going on.

Regarding FOA, (please correct me if i am wrong), one of the steps to go from XML, XSL to FO to PDF, is to design the XSL, and this is done by the provided GUI. I found it really hard to understand how this thing works.

Do you think that anytime in the future you will be able to provide a more user friendly interface that is more intuitive and easier to use?

Thank you.

• Fabio Giannetti

Fabio Giannetti - 2002-03-23

Hi,
        unfortunately FOA doesn't support drag&drop but the GUI will help you to create pagination and select the content. I haven't yet used XML-Spy but FOA is especially designed for XSL-T combined with XSL-FO. I'd really like to have a WYSIWYG interface, but it's hard work and I simply don't have so much time in my spare one :-))
        By the way, have you seen the Tutorial ?
        http://foa.sourceforge.net/howto.html
        Fabio

• halim

halim - 2002-03-25

Thanks Fabio

Your work is greatly appreciated, and a tool like FOA is really needed. I hope you will have enought time to improve on it and make it more usable for more complicated types of reports.

I have seen the tutorial, and it helped me stepping me through the process and getting started. but i am still not able to produce the type of report i need.

If I am reporting on an element that has a many child elements that span more than one pave, is it possible to continue the report on the following pages and have subtotals on every page?

thanks
      halim.

• Fabio Giannetti

Fabio Giannetti - 2002-03-26

Hi Halim,
        this could be a little bit problematic. In fact because the element contains a number of children that is bigger then the page, you really don't know when the page break will occur, so it will be difficult to find out where to create the sub total to be displayed.
        So what you can really do is to create a sub group information and put a sub total for each sub group. You can decide how many elements put into the sub group, so you can try to see where is more convinient to break the list and go into the new page. FOA doesn't support too much specific bricks, but if I can find a generic one could be an interesting new feature.
        BTW this could be a possible XSL-T:
        <xsl:param name="group-size" select="'n'" />
        Where n is the nuber of childrend that you want to group.
        <xsl:template match="element">
          <fo:...>
            <xsl:apply-templates select="children[(position() mod $group-size) = 1]" />
          </fo:...>
        </xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="children">
              <xsl:for-each select=". | following-sibling::title[position() &lt;
        $group-size]">
               <fo:...>
                <xsl:value-of select="." />
               </fo:...>
              </xsl:for-each>
              <xsl:if test="following-sibling::children[position() = $group-size]">
                subtotal
              </xsl:if>
        </xsl:template>

Hope this helps, Fabio

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks