Menu

Please, why yet another accounting program

2008-04-27
2013-04-03
  • Simon Clarkson

Simon Clarkson - 2008-04-27

I do not understand why you have created yet another accounting program.  There are hundreds on SourceForge alone.  What is it about you programming guys that you cannot work together on the same project.  You all have to start your own project.

Then, after starting yet another project, nothing happens.  This project is now almost a year old and it looks like it is dead already.  Nothing in the messages (except this message).  No developers have joined.  I am sure there is nothing wrong with your coding, but no one is going to have interest in this project when there are so many others do exactly the same thing out there.

I could understand if you were using some great new technology, and you wanted to build an accounting program using that technology.  But there are plenty of other accounting projects out there that also use Eclipse.  A simple search shows Mussarela and Jmoney in SourceForge alone.  I bet you can't even share plug-ins between the projects, so a plug-in written for, say, Flooze, won't integrate with Mussarela or in Jmoney.  What good is that to me?

Basically, I am just a user looking for an accounting program that meets my needs.  But I have nothing because you programmers don't seem to be able to work on the same project, even when you agree on the underlying technology!  I just get hundreds of accounting programs to choose from and most like yours are just about dead, and the others don't work.  Please, for the sake of users, get your act together.  Pick one of the accounting projects out there and get it so that it works for you.  I am still stuck using Quicken and I am desperate to move to something else. 

Regards,

Simon

ps. It also looks bad to potential employers.  If they google you and see you started yet another project in preference to joining an existing team, it gives a clear signal that you are not able to work in a team or develop on top of existing work.

• Yann PELUD

Yann PELUD - 2008-05-03

I'll try to answer why I shared my program and why I didn't not joined an other. Like you I was seek of using my old accounting program and I don't want to buy an other. I search around if I can find an Open Source that correspond to my wishes. I didn't find it. So, it was a few years ago, I decided to write a program to do my stuff with bank accountings.
      May be it would be a better way to share it since the beginning but I wasn't satisfy of what I had done.
      Today I use it, it does what I want and I think that it can be usefull for other people.

regards,

Yann

ps: did you try Flooze ?