"cannot detect serial port"

Help
2006-04-19
2013-04-03
  • Nobody/Anonymous

I am using a serial-to-USB adapter cable on a G5, but FT says it cannot detect a serial port.  How do I get it to see the GPS?

• Gautier Taravella

If you have properly installed you adapter (including the drivers) and if it is plugged in, a corresponding entry should appear in the "Serial Port" list of the "Download from GPS" window, and you would not get the error message from FT.

What is the brand/model of your adapter ?

• Nobody/Anonymous

I have the same problem like above mentioned guy.
      My serial to usb adapter is    Keyspan USA-28x B
      And the driver is installed!
      Wolf

• Anonymous - 2008-12-06

Same problem. I have a MacBook Pro running with MACOSX Version 10.5.5. The USB to Serial Adapter is from Radio Shack (USB-RS232). The driver has been installed and my Mac "sees" the adapter. The people at the Mac store said I need a driver for my IQCompeo in order for FT to know it is connected. Do I need such a driver? Where do I get the IQCompeo driver?

FT works fine on igc files I have moved from another computer.

• Gautier Taravella

If you have properly installed you adapter (including the drivers) and if it is plugged in, a corresponding entry should appear in the "Serial Port" list of the "Download from GPS" window, and you would not get the error message from FT.

What is it that you see to say that your mac "sees" the adapter ? If it appears in the "System Profiler" application, it does not mean anything. It just means that it is a valid USB device and that it is properly plugged in.

The next step for it to appear in the FT menu is that MacOS has a proper driver to know how to use this device as a serial port.

Finally, the IQCompeo driver is FlightTrack itself, which knows how to communicate accross the serial port with an IQCompeo.