CMR satellite Images mapping?

2004-07-15
2013-04-03
  • Nobody/Anonymous

Thanks alot for your great program. It saved my father from the horrible task of having to buy a PC to use SeeYou!

Now, there's more or less just one big feature request to make it perfect: Mapping of satellite image Data in CMR format!

As my father often flies in the plain using a winch elevation data isn't really that exciting with everything just green! ;-) a picture to actually see where you are would be so much greater!

Would that be possible? This would be certainly most awesome!...

• Gautier Taravella

Well, you're lucky because this is exactly what I am working on for the next version. You can have a first glance at http://flighttrack.sourceforge.net/dl/Picture_6.pdf

Yet, I have never heard before of this CMR format and I didn't find anything interesting on the net about that. Could you provide me with some information about this format and tell me where I could find a dataset, or send me one ?

• Nobody/Anonymous

VERY cool! Been wondering about that as well. When is the next version due? Beta testing? Got a pretty active paragliding community out here that's watching the progress closely.

While we're on about features. How about increasing the decimal accuracy? 3 decimal places kinda butchers the path. We've started using the IGC format because it's so much more accurate but we're not sure what we're losing by not using GPX which you recommend.

• Gautier Taravella

Yes indeed,  this is a bug that will be fixed in the next version... probably by the end of august, because there are too many things to do and I'll soon be in holidays and I will spend them away from any computer.

It's better that you stick to IGC until then to keep a good precision. You don't really lose anything (for now) unless special characters.

concerning betas, well, don't you think that the version released are not as unstable as betas ? you really want to have the ones that will directly erase your harddrive ?

• Nobody/Anonymous

I doubt your betas wipe hard drives. We're just anxious for satellite overlays..;)

• Nobody/Anonymous

Anxiously awaiting the next version, with mapping....;)

• Nobody/Anonymous

What happened to "end of august"?

• Gautier Taravella

Well, end of august, has been a very busy time...

• Nobody/Anonymous

How close is it?

• Nobody/Anonymous

Awww come on! You're killing us! Don't let a great piece of software die!!

• Gautier Taravella

It's not dying, it's just that I'm very busy and I want to make things a little bit more polished than usual before releasing it. I hope I can do this before end of the month.

• Nobody/Anonymous

Seems like the landsat and blue marble data is pretty low rez. How hard would it be to give us the option to use the same Urban Photo and Sat Photo that terrabrowser uses? I guess its coming from http://terraserver-usa.com/image.aspx?t=4&s=8&x=10891&y=83637&z=10&w=1

• Gautier Taravella

Well, in fact, it seems that this web server can be used quite easily because it conforms to an open specification. I'll try to sse what I can do but it'll probably be in the next version. Too bad it's only for USA.

Landsat images resolution is 15m / pixel.
      Blue marble is 1km / pixel.

• Nobody/Anonymous

Sweeeet! That would be awesome.

When is the next version likely to appear? You ever thought about charging $10 or something for this? It's pretty cool to be able to tell my PC friends there is freeware that does what their $500 software does but it would be nice to see you making a little money off your hard work.

• Gautier Taravella

Well, I prefer no to charge because I don't want to get engaged in something I might not be able maintain and also the money obtained would be ridiculous compared to the time spent ;)

• Nobody/Anonymous

May have to compromise on the satellite photos. Those nifty color .25 meter rez images are only for certain urban areas. But most of the US is covered by 1 meter rez color AND grayscale imagery. I could live with that. Grabbing high rez urban when possible, but otherwise use the 1 meter grayscale.

http://terraserver-usa.com/image.aspx?t=4&s=10&x=2724&y=20824&z=10&w=1

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks