SourceForge has been redesigned. Learn more.
Close

Backing up 3,000 pics. A thousand at a time

fire
2006-09-11
2013-03-22
  • fire

fire - 2006-09-11

Hello, I have 3,000 pics on flickr. I've got a pretty slow computer (PIII 500mHz) and I thought it may be better for me to do FlickrBackup 1,000 pics at a time. Is this a good idea?

It may be a hassle, because the only way to select pics in FlickrBackup is either Selecting each pic one by one, or "Select All".

What do you guys think? Should I just go ahead and download all 3,000 pics? Is there a way to know how many megabytes it will take on my hard drive? I'm worried that maybe I won't have enough free hard drive space.

• fire

fire - 2006-09-11

I see the greyed-out "New Photos" tab in FlickrBackup. I wonder if that's the solution to my question.

• fire

fire - 2006-09-12

Looks like I have no choice but to split the backups into smaller chunks.

In the terminal:

09/11/06 15:58:39-[PhotoRetriever.retrieve]-[DEBUG]-Sending Photo [3173]/[3273]
      Exception in thread "Thread-4" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
      Exception in thread "Thread-7" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space

I have 3273 pics in all in Flickr. FlickrBackup stopped loading the thumbnails after the 3173rd pic.
      With that in mind, is there a way to do partial backups?

• Andrew Serff

Andrew Serff - 2006-09-12

Huh, you are the first person that has more pictures than me to actually test this out!  I have about 1600 photos in my account.  And what you saw isn't even a problem in downloading them, but a problem loading the thumbnails.  I guess it can't hold 3000+ photos in the default memory heap.  What OS are you on?  Sounds like you are running FB from the command line (i.e. not double click like the Windows exe).  So, you have raised 2 problem here.

#1 - We need to run FB with more memory than the default when you have a very large library.
        #2 - Download photos in chuncks.  There is currently no way to do this besides selcting some, download them, then select the next lot and download those.  Or you can do it by set, but I would think most people don't put all their photos into sets (I know I don't).

What the "New Photos" tab was going to be used for was for if you backed up all you photos on Monday then uploaded photos over the next few weeks and then decided you better back those up to, it would realize you have uploaded photos since your last backup.  So it wouldn't quite work for what you want and even that isn't implmented.  Maybe I should implement what you want instad.  I might make more sense (although a much harder problem to solve). 

I'll try to think about it and see what I can come up with.  I guess the question is, what would you rather have?  This or your "Send to Zoto" feature?  :)  Let me know if you have ideas of how you would like the partial backup to work. 

Thanks for all the feedback you have been giving!
        Andrew

• fire

fire - 2006-09-12

Andrew,
          Thanks for your reply.

Please also see my post at http://sourceforge.net/forum/message.php?msg_id=3909972

Yes, I'm one of the many people who have most of my photos NOT in sets.

Actually, Zoto is out of my mind for now. I'm thinking of migrating all pics to Zooomr.

I'm kind of in a crunch. My Flickr Pro account expires in 3 days (Sept 15). So hope we can work things out before then.

Have to make a quick run to the drugstore and office supplies store. Hope to hear from you soon, sir!

• Ambitious_Wench

Ambitious_Wench - 2006-09-12

*chuckle*
          *waves hand*

9023 images here.  I really wish I could download batches by date.  Or tags. 

Edie

• fire

fire - 2006-09-12

Edie! Wow, you beat me 3-fold.
            Just curious: what are you going to do with the pics you download?

• Ambitious_Wench

Ambitious_Wench - 2006-09-12

burn them to CD--or I may wait until I can upgrade my Mac to a DVD burner. 

I am also porting them to my Win lappie. 

I lost about 7 gigs of shots when my Mac hard drive defecated the domicile, but the best of them were on Flickr.  I am so grateful to seff for making improvements to FB.

Edie

• fire

fire - 2006-09-13

Seriff,
          You asked what OS i use.
          I am on Linux. Ubuntu, particularly XFCE.

• fire

fire - 2006-09-13

Dear mr. Seriff,
          One idea I have for doing partial backups is this:
          Even before the thumbnails load in FB, the user decides the from---> to dates of photos to load. Will that work?

Or, similarly, the user first goes to his photostream and finds the exact filenames of either ends of the pics he wants to download. Then he inputs the beginning filename and the ending filename into FB.

• Andrew Serff

P.S. I have thought about this partial backup situation.  The reason I have thought of it is for the case where you start a full backup and your connection drops.  You have to start all over again in that case and that sucks...Need some pause/restart action going on...

• Andrew Serff

Ah...if you are wanting to move to zooomr, I don't think i'm goint to write an adapter for that.  They are trying to work a deal with flickr to let them have corporate access to their API to do this in a much more integrated way.  See http://www.tabblo.com for an example.  Also, zooomr doesn't have an API yet.  I'll try my best to come up with something for you.  But 3 days is really pushing it...is $24 a really big deal to have access to you photos?  I don't know what would happen if you tried to use FB on your account that was no longer pro...maybe it would still work...i have no way to test that...

Andrew

• fire

fire - 2006-09-12

If we can't have direct migration from Flickr to Zooomr, no problem. Then I guess I'll just have to make it a 2 step process. Download Flickr pics to my hard drive, then upload to Zooomr via jUploadr.

• BigFredi

BigFredi - 2007-11-15

6352 here and the same problem. (MacOS X Tiger on Intel platform)

Everything is fine up to 2970 Thumbnails and then crashes. No error messages, just dissapears.

I would like to offer several for this issue:

· Give the option not to load the thumbnails. That will save memory and would be useful to cases like mine (full backup)

· This is a backup program (or at least the name says so) why not to add two new tabs or buttons: Full backup/Incremental
        In that case you could manage the memory in some different way in order to avoid to full the heap.

· Several pages. Having a maximum of 2000 thumbs per page could be enough to avoid the crashes.

Apart from that, I'm a bit afraid of not having a recovery log to restart the backup from where it crashed. I hope you will implement that soon.

• Andrew Serff

Andrew Serff - 2007-11-15

We are about to release a new version that should fix this for most people.  keep your eyes open!