Welcome to Applications, web access, misc

2000-11-21
2003-09-01
  • Nobody/Anonymous

Welcome to Applications, web access, misc

• john carter

john carter - 2003-07-06

I installed GT.M in the /usr/local/gtm directory and now that I realize it can be a web browser interface think it needs to be in the /usr/local/apache2/gtm directory. If I am not mistaken that is the first step to getting web access. Am I correct? If so, how do I move it from /usr/local/gtm? Can I just mv the entire directory structure?  Then I can change the config files to point to the correct location.

P.S.  I placed this message in the wrong place initially.  Forgive me.  This is my first foray into SourceForge and I'm learning the ropes.

• K.S. Bhaskar

K.S. Bhaskar - 2003-07-06

John --

I don't know enough about Apache to know whether GT.M must be installed in the /usr/local/apache2/gtm subdirectory to access it via a CGI interface.  I suppose it makes sense if you wanted to run Apache in a chroot jail.

The simplest thing to do would be to reinstall GT.M in the new location.  If you move the installation subdirectory with mv, you will need to ensure that the environment variables (look in the /usr/local/gtm/gtmprofile or .../gtmcshrc) point to the correct new location of GT.M.

Have you looked at Ed de Moel's tutorial on a CGi interface to GT.M (http://207.224.6.57/TestCGI.htm)?

-- Bhaskar

• James A Self

James A Self - 2003-09-01

No. You do not need to reinstall GT.M to work with Apache CGI. The main difficulty in getting GT.M to work well with Apache CGI is in setting up the ownership and permissions on your files to agree with your configuration of Apache.

To start with, the CGI handler must be able to read and execute your CGI file. Then it must be able to read any required .m files and .o files and it must be able to read and write any mumps .dat files and it must be able to read and execute the directories containing them. If you are developing  web applications, it will also need to have write access to the .o files.

CGI processes generally run as the apache user. That might be "apache" or "nobody" or "www" or something else depending on your Apache configuration.  To get CGI working, you could make apache the owner of your application files. Alternatively, you could set group write permission (chmod g+w) on your .dat files and .o files and either set the group on your files to apache (chown .apache) or add the apache user to the group assigned to your files.

If Apache is configured to run CGI files from a user home directory, those CGI processes will switch to run as the corresponding user.  (See the UserDir directive in the Apache documentation). If you are at all concerned about preventing inappropriate access to your files by non-MUMPS processes, this approach allows you to restrict access most precisely.

BTW: This question might be better placed under the CGI forum.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks