Menu

Creating class libraries from GT.M

2003-11-12
2003-11-15
  • Richard Schilling

Been looking at the EsiObjects code and documentation and it's all heavily dependent on the use of the Windows client. 

Is there any documentation/notes/instructions available on managing the EsiObjects server from the GT.M prompt?  I would like to not have to use a windows client.

I'd like to be able to at least manually create a class library so I can create new classes.

Richard Schilling

• Terry L. Wiechmann

The VESOTCMN routine manages the server side redirector and user's names, passwords and privileges. See the Administrators Guide.

In the beginning, when there were only the core routines that implemented the object model, a roll and scroll Primitive Class Browser (PCB) was written to create the fundamental classes of Class, MetaClass, etc. It has not been used in years and, as far as I can remember, does not support all the features added to EsiObjects over the years. However, it may satisfy your requirements. The entry point is routine VESOZ. If you enhance it, I can get it into V4.1. Maybe there are other people who would like to use it.

Good Luck

• Richard Schilling

That's sure helpful! It's a pretty big system to be poking around code for days on end just to reverse engineer the conceptual structure of the system.

Played around with VESOZ and there are some menu items that don't seem to respond - others that do, and some breakpoints that are set.

Happy to send you my changes (I assume diffs are O.K.), and will also be posting some system analysis docs as they get generated.

Any notes/not-for-public documents, etc . . . you'd care to share would be helpful.  Can sign non-disclosure if required and would be willing to start a for-public version of the internals.

I'm doing the same thing with VistA and as we "get our arms" around the code we'll be publishing notes, documentaton, etc . . .

Nice product!

Thanks.

Richard

• Terry L. Wiechmann

Thanks, help would be appreciated. And yes, it is a good product and will get better with participation from the Open Source community.

There is no proprietary information around EsiObjects. In fact, I will be submitting the following packages.

1) Although you are not using the client, I will be submitting the C++ client sources for EsiObjects. We did not do that previously because it contained a proprietary control and it was a proprietary package. However, that library has been made freeware. Maybe someone would like to convert it to Java :-)

2) EsiORB, which is an implementation of the OMG's CORBA specification. It is the communications component only. It complements the existing Java Gateway and COM Bridge that is currently a part of EsiObjects.

3) EsiQuery, which is an implementation of the ODMG's Object Query Language (OQL) specification. We did this for the DOD. It is a version 1 release. It works fine but needs work to make it more robust and perform better. Performance was never a goal of V1. This is a great addition to EsiObjects. It is base on the ANTLR.

4) EsiDoc, which is a set of classes that implement a document management package. It contains the concrete classes that implement an XML document. It can be extended to implement other document types. It includes an XML parser that is a part of the Base library in V4.1.

5) EasyEnterprise for GT.M, which is a three-tier application we developed for the DOD to integrate CHCS and VistA data. It uses EsiORB to link all the systems together. It also uses the PIDS service to find a patient on all the systems. The application layer (written in JSP) collects the data and displays the patients longitudinal record via the provider portal. This package will be submitted as a part of the Open VistA project.

Since Im doing most of the work myself, it will take a little while to accomplish this. Anyway, time is all I have these days since I retired.

Good luck.

Terry L. Wiechmann