Help
John B.
2010-04-12
2014-04-09
  • John B.

John B. - 2010-04-12

Greetings,

I'm trying out FindBugs for the first time. The manual says,

The preferred method of running FindBugs is to directly execute $FINDBUGS_HOME/lib/findbugs.jar … The general syntax of invoking FindBugs directly is the following: java  -jar $FINDBUGS_HOME/lib/findbugs.jar options…

I tried running "java -jar findbugs.jar" from inside the lib directory.  Here is the result:

C:\standalone programs\findbugs-1.3.9\lib>java -jar findbugs.jar
    Exception in thread "main" java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
            at edu.umd.cs.findbugs.Project.<clinit>(Project.java:86)
            at edu.umd.cs.findbugs.FindBugsCommandLine.<init>(FindBugsCommandLine.java:47)
            at edu.umd.cs.findbugs.FindBugsCommandLine.<init>(FindBugsCommandLine.java:75)
            at edu.umd.cs.findbugs.gui2.GUI2CommandLine.<init>(GUI2CommandLine.java:42)
            at edu.umd.cs.findbugs.gui2.Driver.<clinit>(Driver.java:42)
            at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method)
            at java.lang.Class.forName(Unknown Source)
            at edu.umd.cs.findbugs.LaunchAppropriateUI.launch(LaunchAppropriateUI.java:112)
            at edu.umd.cs.findbugs.LaunchAppropriateUI.main(LaunchAppropriateUI.java:197)
    Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
            at edu.umd.cs.findbugs.DetectorFactoryCollection.inferFindBugsHome(DetectorFactoryCollection.java:271)
            at edu.umd.cs.findbugs.DetectorFactoryCollection.getFindBugsHome(DetectorFactoryCollection.java:289)
            at edu.umd.cs.findbugs.PluginLoader.loadFromFindBugsPluginDir(PluginLoader.java:205)
            at edu.umd.cs.findbugs.PluginLoader.getCoreResource(PluginLoader.java:173)
            at edu.umd.cs.findbugs.SystemProperties.loadPropertiesFromConfigFile(SystemProperties.java:70)
            at edu.umd.cs.findbugs.SystemProperties.<clinit>(SystemProperties.java:53)
            ... 9 more
    C:\standalone programs\findbugs-1.3.9\lib>

I also tried the -gui option and increasing the memory with -Xmx, and no luck.  Can anyone help me figure out what's wrong?  Thanks a ton!

- John

• bethany

bethany - 2012-03-13

You should input the absolute path of findbugs.jar

• Jinal Kothari

Jinal Kothari - 2014-04-09

Had the same issue, using the absolute path for the findbugs.java file does the job. Thanks.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks