Menu

Tell me what you think/ want

Tom Turkey
2010-10-15
2020-06-29
  • Tom Turkey

Tom Turkey - 2010-10-15

I am looking for someone, possibly you, to give me a little feed back on filerunner.  Tell me what you like, but, mostly what you don't like or would like added and I will see if I can find some time to satisfy your request(s).

• sokol470

sokol470 - 2012-12-29

The FileRunner is the greatest file browser available, no question. I have been using it since 1996. Recently, after installation of Ubuntu, I ran into problem with fonts in my 2.5 (1996) version so I downloaded the latest and greatest  fr-12.12.25.15. I didn't like the columns outline so I went one version back to fr-11.2.20.13 which is tolerable as far as the columns arrangement.
    However, I was unable to remove the 'lk' column that I consider useless. Anyway, it turned out  as helpful to get these newer version as I figured the GUI font and inserted 'TkFixedFont' into my old 1996 version.
    Also, the info line 'File/Dir lk size mtime' is kind of superfluous (maybe useful for Windows users).
    Summary: I'd be happy to return to the latest 12.12.25.15 when I hack out the features I don't want. 

• Zhang Weiwu

Zhang Weiwu - 2020-06-29

This thread is 10 years old but let me provide feedback anyway. When I found filerunner I was searching for a tool that allows me to do recursive deduplicate.

You see, sometimes I got copies of data in a portable HDD that is largely the duplicates of my archive. Normally I would open my own archive (my internal HDD) in the left pane and the portable HDD in the right pane to compare and remove duplicated files. I always remove duplicated files in the right pane, since left pane is what I keep.

I was kind of hoping something other than midnight commander can make the process easy for me that's when I chanced on your tool.

There are deduplicator tools like fdupes but it doesn't know that I always want to discard files in the right panel not the left. It also doesn't provde me a convenient view where I can open oen of the duplicated files to see what's inside.

If you could I'd like to commission the development of such a feature. Thanks. Ideally, it should be able to:

• Generate a list of duplicated files no matter which directory they are from (recursive)
    • Being able to tell links (symbolic or hard), so linked files are not considered duplicate
    • Is able to tell when/if one pane is the parent of another (so that the user is not surprised by deleing one file from one pane and see it disappears in another as they descend from the same tree).
    • Is able to filter by size (e.g. ignore duplicates less than 300KB), type (e.g. only de-dup videos).
    • Provide options of detecting duplicate files of same size by either quick check (read the file in 10 random positions to compare 10KB) or slow check (read both files byte by byte or compare the checksum - depends on which is faster in tcl).
    • Since the duplicates are found between left and right pane directories, the user can use <tab> to swtich between left and right to decide which file to delete. I always delete the right pane file but some users might have different use-cases.</tab>
    • Provide a "rename" function to rename the currently selected duplicated file using the name found from the opposite panel. This is useful to get rid of bad names like '1.mp4', '2.mp4', '3.mp4'

P.S. I don't need to do this over network but some other users might, so it's up to you if you wish to be considerate and offer deduplicate finding features when the left pane is local and right pane is over an sftp server.

Last edit: Zhang Weiwu 2020-06-29