How to recompile ffnet files

Help
jason
2012-08-30
2013-04-23
  • jason

jason - 2012-08-30

Hello,

I have gotten the ffnet code to work properly, and I have verified that I can run the generated code in fortran after executing the python script.

I am working on trying to implement code to use a different transfer function (tanh instead of sigmoid).

I have updated the fortran code in ffnet.f that resides in the /fortran folder.  However, I am having trouble getting my changes to work.  I am wondering if I have to re-compile the source code to include these changes.  For example, I see the compile.py file is used to compile the fortran files… but I can't get execute compile.py without getting an error (it seems that there is a problem locating a file named pythonw.exe.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

• Marek

Marek - 2012-08-31

The command in the system shell:

f2py -m _ffnet -c ffnet.f

should do the thing if you have prpperly installed Fortran and C compilers. What operating system you use? Could you send the errors generated by compile.py?

• Marek

Marek - 2012-08-31

Ahh. You're on Windows i see: read then this post about using f2py on Windows:

http://cens.ioc.ee/pipermail/f2py-users/2011-November/002273.html

• jason

jason - 2012-09-04

1) I was using windows, but I thought it might be useful to try it on Linux.  So, I just installed openSUSE on an old computer.  I got the ffnet code up and running again.

2) In a terminal window I used the command you sent in your first reply… 

f2py -m _ffnet -c ffnet.f

3) My changes were then included next time I ran the python script!

4) However, the code did not run correctly when I tried to replace all of your sigmoid functions with tanh.  I also made sure to replace all derivative calculations to the derivative of tanh… for example,

f = 1 - tanh(f)^2

5) In Summary, each of these lines were changed to use tanh or to use derivative of tanh
    line 44, 59, 133, 146, 154, 232, 397

Any idea why I would get an error?  Could it be a normalization problem since tanh can accept -1 to 1 but sigmoid can only accept 0 to 1?

• Marek

Marek - 2012-09-05

normalization would be a reason of worse training results for tanh. what errors exactly do you get an for what training problem?

• jason

jason - 2012-09-19

The code won't even run, I get a segmentation violation.

I have resorted to using the code as-is with the sigmoid activation functions.  I may re-visit trying to use tanh, but I don't have the time for it right now.

On a separate topic, do you know what cost function is minimized when using the optimization routines (bfgs, momentum, tnc)? 

• Marek

Marek - 2012-09-20

Cost function is calculated as sum of the squared errors at all outputs and
    for all training samples - for *normalized* trainig data.