Currently in the process of testing SOLR, with installations on localhost and DEV, but some weird behaviour happening –

 

On localhost, if I “reindex all pages”, nothing gets added to the solr index– there are no communities or collections displayed, and nothing is searchable in Fez. There are no errors in the various log files (tomcat, error_handler, APP_LOGGING_DEST), and no upload files remaining. If I then do a “solr only reindex”, all works OK; communities and collections are displayed, and everything is searchable as expected in Fez. However, if I then edit a record, I have to go back and do another “solr only reindex” to make that record searchable.

 

In DEV, if I “reindex all pages”, the process starts off working OK – communities, collections and records start displaying almost immediately and becoming searchable. The whole process takes around 4.5 hours … but sometime towards the end, things start going wrong … the communities, collections and many records start disappearing from Fez and SOLR. We currently have 12600 records in DEV; by the time reindexing finished at my last test, there were 11300 records in SOLR, with 400 in fez_fulltext_queue. A “solr only reindex” made all 12600 records visible/searchable once more. But as with localhost, edits cause the entry to disappear from the SOLR index, so require another “solr only reindex”. There were some upload files left behind after the initial reindex (which presumably explains the records left in fez_fulltext_queue), but there were no error messages I could find (although it was a bit hard to look because of the size and number of files).

 

To try to get a handle on the error, today I’ve been doing various tests on DEV, being sure to reindex only single records at a time; yet from 11300 records in SOLR when I started testing (by way of editing/republishing/reindexing records, but not deleting), at some point I noticed there were only 900 still indexed in SOLR! The only error message I can find in the logs is “Could not getStatistics on info bean org.apache.solr.search.SolrIndexSearcher”, which I don’t think is relevant.

 

Another issue is that in list mode, only the “more options” icon is displaying; the “edit” and “security” icons seem to have gone AWOL.

 

Any suggestions???

 

Bernadette Houghton, Library Business Applications Developer
Deakin University Geelong Victoria 3217 Australia.
Phone: 03 5227 8230 International: +61 3 5227 8230
Fax: 03 5227 8000 International: +61 3 5227 8000
MSN: bern_houghton@hotmail.com
Email: bernadette.houghton@deakin.edu.au
Website: http://www.deakin.edu.au
Deakin University CRICOS Provider Code 00113B (Vic)

Important Notice: The contents of this email are intended solely for the named addressee and are confidential; any unauthorised use, reproduction or storage of the contents is expressly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please delete it and any attachments immediately and advise the sender by return email or telephone.
Deakin University does not warrant that this email and any attachments are error or virus free