Error Message while creating new community

Help
2007-11-12
2012-10-29
  • Farrukh Shakil

Farrukh Shakil - 2007-11-12

Hi All, I am new to Fez/Fedora. Everything else is working fine but when i try to create a new community I get this error message.

Fatal error: Call to a member function getXSDMF_IDByXDIS_ID() on a non-object in /var/www/html/fez/include/class.record.php on line 1501

I get this when I enter all the info for a new community and hit publish. any help would be highly appreciated.

• Farrukh Shakil

Farrukh Shakil - 2007-12-03

I have documented the installation and put it on fez wiki.

Thanks,
      Farrukh

• Lachlan Kuhn

Lachlan Kuhn - 2007-11-13

Hi there,

What version of Fez are you running?

Regards,
      Lachlan

• Matthew Smith

Matthew Smith - 2007-11-13

hi, check error_handler.log

• chien

chien - 2007-11-13

I also have the same problem!!

I check the error_handler.log and find

[txt] => Array
      (
      [0] => Record iiidata:39 doesn't exist
      )

Can give me some help?

Thank!!

• chien

chien - 2007-11-13

in fedora:

the error message is

no path in db registry for [iiidata:39]
      no path in db registry for [iiidata:39]

thanks

• Farrukh Shakil

Farrukh Shakil - 2007-11-13

Fez version: 1.3
      Fedora Version: 2.2

• Farrukh Shakil

Farrukh Shakil - 2007-11-15

I am using
      Fez version: 1.3
      Fedora Version: 2.2

Another thing that might have something to do with it is

when I do Sanity check after installation I get

Sanity Check
      This page causes a number of tests to be run and shows the results with suggestions on how to fix any problems. For more help, see the Troubleshooting section on the Fez Wiki or search the mailing list archives.

Configuration varaibles may need to be changed by editing config.inc.php in the base directory of the installation. Most error messages will show which configuration variable was the problem.

Testing for PHP extensions
      Passed: Testing PHP extensions
      Failed: ConnectHTTP APP_BASE_URL = 'http://localhost/fez/' Error: Failed to connect to localhost: Permission denied. The webserver couldn't connect to this address. Check that the address is correct. Perhaps it is blocked at a firewall. Also check that CURL is correctly installed.
      Testing general directories
      Passed: Testing general directories
      Aborting remaining tests

I turned off my firewalls but no luck. I am able to go to URL http://localhost/fez .CURL curl-7.15.5-1.fc5 is installed with apache 2.2.2 and PHP 5.1.6 .

This is the logs from error_handler when i try to create community

[Wed Nov 14 17:16:37 2007] Array
      (
      [txt] => Array
      (
      [0] => Failed to connect to localhost: Permission denied
      )

[script] => include/class.fedora_api.php
      [line] => 134
      [backtrace] => Array
          (
              [0] => Array
                  (
                      [file] => include/class.fedora_api.php:134
                      [call] => Error_Handler->logError()
                  )

[1] => Array
                  (
                      [file] => include/class.record.php:2095
                      [call] => Fedora_API->getNextPID()
                  )

[2] => Array
                  (
                      [file] => include/class.record.php:548
                      [call] => RecordObject->fedoraInsertUpdate()
                  )

[3] => Array
                  (
                      [file] => workflow/enter_metadata.php:103
                      [call] => Record::insert()
                  )

)

)

• Christiaan

Christiaan - 2007-11-17

Hi

If you are using Fedora 2.2 we strongly suggest using Fez 2 rather than Fez 1.3. Fez 2 supports Fedora 2.2 out of the box while Fez 1.3 was released around the time of Fedora 2.1.1 which had a slightly different API. Fez 2 release candidate 1 is available on sourceforge and the final release (with only very minor changes) will be released shortly (probably when I get back to Australia after this SUN PASIG conference).

If you still are have having trouble with http://localhost try using your local IP or actual hostname instead of localhost.

Your Fez needs to pass all its sanity checks otherwise you won't be able to connect to fedora - and won't be able to create communities or other objects.

Cheers,
        Christiaan

• Farrukh Shakil

Farrukh Shakil - 2007-11-16

is fedora + fez not reliable enough? We are planning to use it for California State University newspaper website but its pretty disappointing that even though we followed the exact instructions in the installation guide it still failed with the error that doesn't make much sense.

• Farrukh Shakil

Farrukh Shakil - 2007-11-19

i tried Fez 2 per your suggestion and got the exact same error message. also tried the ip and host ip on network without luck. any other suggestion? what can cause this error?

• Farrukh Shakil

Farrukh Shakil - 2007-11-19

i tried Fez 2 per your suggestion and got the exact same error message. also tried the ip and host ip on network without luck. any other suggestion? what can cause this error? are there any changes i need to make to fez config file manually or should i just leave it as it is created by setup.

• Christiaan

Christiaan - 2007-11-19

Something is blocking your php webservice calls back to the server itself. Have a look and see what your apache configuration for security is (is it allowing localhost/your ip/127.0.0.1?) also check to see if you have a ".htaccess" file in the fez directly with similar security restrictions.

• Farrukh Shakil

Farrukh Shakil - 2007-11-21

yap, it allows localhost and fez directory doesnt have .htaccess file.

I installed fedora+fez on windows system (fedora 2.2.1 and fez 1.3) and get exactly same error message. the error at sanity_check however changed it now complaints
      Failed: ConnectHTTP APP_FEDORA_ACCESS_API = 'http://localhost:8080/fedora/services/access' HTTP Result 401 code. The webserver couldn't connect to this address. Check that the address is correct. Check that any authorisation needed is correct. Perhaps it is blocked at a firewall.

i have turned off all the firewalls. the password is correct. I can go to http://localhost:8080/fedora/services/access through my browser and it shows
      access
      Hi there, this is an AXIS service!

Perhaps there will be a form for invoking the service here...

fedora is configured to allow access from any host. Any ideas /suggests?

• Christiaan

Christiaan - 2007-11-21

Hi

If it is a 401 message that means fedora is not letting you through its authentication for api-a access. In your Fez configutation settings for the fedora connection is it set to no-ssl-apim? Try changing it to no-ssl-all and run the check again. This way fez will send auth username/password details to Fedora. Someone else has had the same problem as you so perhaps this is a bug in Fedora setup where it asks you for api-A authenication even when it should not.

Christiaan

• romca

romca - 2007-11-28

Hi,
          I thought I would post a reply also here, the problem on my site was that I created a separate db for fez, but I did not configure Fez properly to access Fedora's db. Thus, xml object were created but not loaded back again:

snip

It looks like your fedora direct access sql settings are pointing to your
          fez sql database instead of your fedora sql database. Changing the settings
          from the fez admin gui panels for fedora settings to the correct sql
          connection details should fix this for you.

Eg from fez20 to fedora22 or what you have named it.

Cheers,
          Christiaan

/snip

For Fedora 2.0 (in the section Site configuration > Fedora) you can insert login credentials for MySQL/PostgreSQL (this is what i missed).

Perhaps the "check sanity" page should also test if Fez has access to the Fedora db if it was configured to do so? (I was getting OK for all the tests, but still not OK.)

Christiaan also wrote to fedora's mailing list that:

Fez 2 has something in it's config options called "Fedora Direct Access".
          This can be turned on or off and can be kept off entirely if desired. When
          on it bypasses the fedora api and goes direct to the fedora sql database and
          xml files for API-A calls (read only). It still uses the Fedora API-M for
          management. We really only recommend turning it on when you need to do major
          performance hungry work like when you need to reindex your whole site. Eg
          with 150,000 objects reindexing time drops from 4 days to less than 1 day.
          This is a necessary evil for us sometimes - we just can't wait 4 days. We
          are working on getting it down to 30mins or less (we are getting there).
          This isn't really a problem for smaller repositories. So really turn if off
          and Fez will go through the fedora APIs like it should.

• Farrukh Shakil

Farrukh Shakil - 2007-11-28

Thanks guys, It was basically a fedora 2.2.1 issue with Fez (both 1.3 and 2.0). Both of them work fine with fedora 2.1. Another thing that was wrong was @define("APP_FEDORA_SETUP", "nosslapim") in fez config.inc.php file. For some reason Fez doesn't work with this value and then i changed it to @define("APP_FEDORA_SETUP", "nosslall") per Christiaan's suggestion and that worked. and the last thing that i had to modify was @define("APP_PID_NAMESPACE", "test") where test is the pidNamespace and retainPIDs value in fedora.fcfg file.

• Christiaan

Christiaan - 2007-11-28

That's great news! BTW Fez 2 works fine with Fedora 2.2/2.2.1 as well.

If you can think how the Fez Wiki doco can be improved to a point where it would have helped you more with this sort of thing feel free to create an account on there and add the info (please do if you can). Be aware of the cookie error we give to confuse wiki spambots (its talked about at the bottom of the front page on the wiki).

Cheers,
        Christiaan